Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Meeses) page 2

Meeses Guest

Primal Fuel

Day 3

Today was a bit of a wash, play-wise. This was in part due to the intermittent rain, but mostly due to my lack of inspiration. I juggled for a few minutes, but I can't say I really enjoyed it.

I called a gym with a climbing wall, but I was transferred to the climbing department's voicemail. I left a message, but they haven't gotten back to me. I'll call again tomorrow.

The thing I used to have the most fun doing, the thing that brought me joy and flow, was, tragically, baking and making desserts. I loved getting better and better at making coconut flour cupcakes! By the end, everything I made was nut, fruit, or cream based and completely sugar free. Still, as a hobby, cooking only made me gain weight; a primal dessert is still a dessert.

It was the one thing I loved doing, and the one thing that I absolutely have to give up. No, I can't see how there can be moderation, 80/20 sensible indulgence style. It's a hobby. You don't tell an avid knitter to take it easy on the yarnwork, do you?

I've been spicing sausages, frying up lamb chops, and home drying jerky. It's fun, but it's not the same. My heart is full of rage and grief, which I know is stupid and ridiculous, but there seems little room for joy.

Tomorrow, I will call back the climbing gym. I will receive my new sledgehammer from Amazon and give it a few practice swings. I hope that I will find it in myself to commute the hour and a half to Crossfit, even though I only ever enjoy the deadlifts and the pull-ups and am wondering if I should just give up "training to not suck at life" after all.

Meeses Guest

Day 4:

Sledge-Hammer-Time!

Did a sledgehammer workout (pretending, yes, that I was a lumberjack). It lasted 15 minutes, and then I was tired - physically, not mentally. I'll do this one again.

I signed up for climbing lessons, which start tomorrow. I really, truly, with all my heart, hope that I enjoy them.

Meeses Guest

On positive energy:

I hate being a pessimist and the way it feels, but it's rather a strong compulsion! The fact is every time I try to think a positive thought, the one immediately following it is "You know you're lying."

Sometimes I wonder if some individuals are just pessimistic by nature, like others people are shy, extroverted, or tall. And maybe some of the stress they feel is the pressure to change, to FIX themselves, to fight their core natures and just be better people.

Of course, no one is helpless, and active lifestyle changes are empowering. But to wake up every morning and wrestle with your gut feeling about the state of the universe can be exhausting and stressful in itself. To win out over that negative voice in your head -- it might take an extreme leap of faith...or a VERY strong placebo.

Meeses Guest

Day 5:

Took an indoor climbing class. Learned how to tie a figure 8 knot, also that that clippy thing is called a carabiner. Plus the following exchange:

"On belay?"

"Belay on."

"Climbing?"

"Climb on, you fancy bastard."

Well, maybe not that very last part.

Things to remember:

When belaying, get the rope as taut as possible when your partner signals they are at the top, then let them know it is time to sit back in the harness. Fold the rope over the top of the carabiner, then flip the lock/lever thing and let them down.

This wasn't physically very taxing, but we were taking the easy routes and ignoring the paths for more easily accessible handholds when we got stuck. Also, it's mostly mental, I think. Next time I think I will try bouldering the circumference of the bouldering room at a very low height.

Meeses Guest

Day 5:

Took an indoor climbing class. Learned how to tie a figure 8 knot, also that that clippy thing is called a carabiner. Plus the following exchange:

"On belay?"

"Belay on."

"Climbing?"

"Climb on, you fancy bastard."

Well, maybe not that very last part.

Things to remember:

When belaying, get the rope as taut as possible when your partner signals they are at the top, then let them know it is time to sit back in the harness. Fold the rope over the top of the carabiner, then flip the lock/lever thing and let them down.

This wasn't physically very taxing, but we were taking the easy routes and ignoring the paths for more easily accessible handholds when we got stuck. Though it's mostly mental, I think. Next time I plan to try bouldering the circumference of the bouldering room at a very low height.

Meeses Guest

Day 6:

Taking a break from play to seriously research the subject by reading the "Exuberant Animal" book.

Meeses Guest

Day 7:

Primal cleaning day during which I threw away all my ancient artificial sweeteners, organic shortening, and whole grains.

Home dried some beef jerky, this time with no salt but with ground pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.

Primal cleaning is not officially play, but it FEELS fun.

Fun is fun! Who cares if it "counts" as play!

Good job cleaning out the kitchen! I wish I could, but I'm the only member of my household trying to do primal living... oh well.

Looks like things are going well!

"The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/

Meeses Guest

Primal cleaning is fun, but tiring. Hard to play on 4 hours of sleep. Good thing sleep is primal!

Meeses Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

August 11

Day 10:

Oh, thank God! Mark posted a sample schedule yesterday, including play! Okay, I'm not that OCD. Yes I am. I'll just use it as a crutch! I juggled things around so today is a "lift heavy things day."

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-workout-plan-basics/

That said, cleaning was quite fun. I generally live in cluttered squalor, which may have something to do with it. I'd really like a shredder. I made the DIY jerky dehydrator. I wonder if plans exist for a DIY shredder.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast