Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ways to increase the Intensity ! page

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member

Question Ways to increase the Intensity !

Primal Fuel
    In a very basic sense....In order for a muscle to grow it needs to be subjected to a stimulus that is high enough to warrant an adaptive response......there are however many such ways to create that stimulus so lets discuss some of our favorites !

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You'll probably be shocked to hear that I like the compound barbell exercises (squat, deadlift, bench press, press), with some power cleans and heavy weighted chin-ups thrown in for fun.
    The Champagne of Beards

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I go to lower weights, shorter rests, dynamic lifts... erm, I just do swings and snatches with KBs, and push presses and jerks with the barbell (well, I might add like a 5 lb plate on it, whoa!). I jump rope in between the weighted swings. I am clumsy so I am really worried about increasing speed.

The easiest way I know of increasing intensity of cardio-endurance x-ses is to start talking out-loud, normal voice not wishper.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You'll probably be shocked to hear that I like the compound barbell exercises (squat, deadlift, bench press, press), with some power cleans and heavy weighted chin-ups thrown in for fun.
    And I'm thinking your favorite intensity technique is Progressive resistance......which IMO should still be the foundation of every routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I go to lower weights, shorter rests, dynamic lifts... erm, I just do swings and snatches with KBs, and push presses and jerks with the barbell (well, I might add like a 5 lb plate on it, whoa!). I jump rope in between the weighted swings. I am clumsy so I am really worried about increasing speed.

The easiest way I know of increasing intensity of cardio-endurance x-ses is to start talking out-loud, normal voice not wishper.
    Hahaha....you sound quite excited there !

I'm pretty much opposed to dynamic/ballistic techniques but momentum can be used to good effect once strict reps have become exhausted, at that point even though you are attempting to increase the speed the reps will still likely be fairly slow due to fatigue.

Here is one of my current favorites. Let's say you are doing lying French presses with curling bar ( Even that Rippetoe guy recommends these ). As you perform each rep concentrate on trying to pull the bar apart throughout the move, in reality your hands won't move on the bar but by applying that pressure you drastically increase the tension on the triceps. You will find it very hard to maintain the pressure as you push the weight up but don't worry too much just really concentrate on pulling it apart as you slowly lower it.

Same goes for Bench Press but this time you want to be concentrating on pushing in with the hands, your chest will never know what hit it !

Chin ups, try and pull that bar apart. As fatigue sets in you can always go the opposite direction and begin pushing in, if there are any dormant fibers left they might just help you get an extra rep or two !

Give this a try and let me know if you love it as much as I do !

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Seeing that I haven't seen increase in weight lifted for the past 3 or so years, I am pretty much sure I reached my athletic ceiling as far as the strength is concerned. So, it's either volume or speed, and speed takes less time (a big factor for someone who lives a life of a train on an exact schedule balancing family, work and commute) and is a LOT more fun. Plus, there might be truth in the idea that if you suck at something training that is likely to net the biggest improvement. And, hey, I am only a human, so I do want to see some improvement.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I find a great way to increase intensity is to exercise in the presence of a wild ravenous animal - it really gets you jacked.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    And I'm thinking your favorite intensity technique is Progressive resistance......which IMO should still be the foundation of every routine.
    I'm glad to know you think so. Too many people fail to understand the difference between training and exercise. And if you're not programming progressive resistance, you're just doing exercise. After a tiny bit of novice gains, you'll be the same place in 8 weeks as you'll be in 80. Yeah, I'm looking at you, CrossFit.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Here is one of my current favorites. Let's say you are doing lying French presses with curling bar ( Even that Rippetoe guy recommends these ).
    These are the only thing I know of that he advocates using the EZ Curl bar for. He recommends the straight barbell for actual curls. Just thought I'd point that out.
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Seeing that I haven't seen increase in weight lifted for the past 3 or so years, I am pretty much sure I reached my athletic ceiling as far as the strength is concerned. So, it's either volume or speed, and speed takes less time (a big factor for someone who lives a life of a train on an exact schedule balancing family, work and commute) and is a LOT more fun. Plus, there might be truth in the idea that if you suck at something training that is likely to net the biggest improvement. And, hey, I am only a human, so I do want to see some improvement.
    Please don't take this the wrong way !

I would seriously doubt you reached your genetic potential with regards to strength. When people reach a sticking point they usually panic or become disillusioned and do crazy things. One thing many try is to perform more, if you can't progress up in weight doing three sets how would doing 4 or 5 possibly help ? Logically cut down to two and if that doesn't help cut to one.
    Another thing people do is change the exercise entirely, weight sticks in bench press, let's start doing DB presses or machine presses instead......this might help mentally but it won't fix your problem with the Bench press.

If you reach a sticking point with the weight progression.....

Cut back on sets.
    Try and get more sleep/rest. ( You don't grow and become stronger in the gym, that happens between workouts. In the gym you are just attempting to create that response trigger.)
    Check you are eating enough quality foods.
    Try and minimize your stress levels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast