Thread: periods of constant hunger? page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

periods of constant hunger?

Shop Now
    I have periods that I'm constantly hungry. I had them before going primal and apparently I have them on Primal.
    I always call it my worm-is-awake period....

It's really strange over a period of 4 or 5 days I'm constantly hungry. I can snack on everything and anything (preferably sweet, fruits, candy it doesn't matter). However during normal meals I can't eat more than normal. Most of the time I feel full quite quickly, but the hunger returns within the hour...

After those days the hunger disappears and I either eat as normal or have days I'm not hungry at all. On those days I survive on maybe 900kcal for the whole day.
    So the hunger-eat-everything days are balanced by the I-don't-feel-like-eating days quite well but being hungry constantly is quite annoying!!! Especially when I'm trying to sleep...

Does anyone know an explanation? or have you experienced something like this as well?
    Any ideas on how to get rid of these hungry days...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

piggy is online now Member
    Actually, yes. I was complaining yesterday that I ate everything that was in sight and then some that was out of sight (and well hidden in the fridge). However, in those days I eat lots and lots of meat (chicken, pork, beef, anything really) potatoes (usually sweet but yesterday regular potatoes as well) and some 70-80-90% chocolate. No sweets or candy, really. My coworkers call them the days that I eat "anything that walks, flies or crawls and then some". And then, I fall under the 1000 kcal mark for 4 or 5 days.
    I have absolutely no clue as to what is causing those high calorie days. I cannot link them to stress, exercise or even boredom levels.
    Could it be that what you are eating on those constant hunger days are things that you don't eat on your low calorie days? Can you find a pattern in your eating?

Sent from . . my sink. I am still doing the dishes from yesterday's day-long eating . .

Myrtille is offline Member
    Might be to counterbalance the days with too few calories.
    Did you try to eat a bit more on your normal days ?

QcGal is offline Junior Member
    Before being Primal, I have had huge hunger periods, during PMS. I could endlessly eat, munch and chew, as long as I was eating that was fine. Now that I am Primal, this PMS hunger moment is more like a mild craving that goes away with something crunchy like nuts or an apple. And lots of water.

I dont really have an explanation though, but I hear you!!

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    Might be to counterbalance the days with too few calories.
    Did you try to eat a bit more on your normal days ?
    My normal days I eat around 1600 to 1900kcal a day... That's a good number for me as I do want to loose a bit of weight but don't need to loose much...
    On my I-don't-feel-like-eating days I can eat more but it will cause only issues like restless sleep or stomach ache. And to be honest most of the time I don't even think about eating on those days...

Quote Originally Posted by piggy
    I have absolutely no clue as to what is causing those high calorie days. I cannot link them to stress, exercise or even boredom levels.
    Could it be that what you are eating on those constant hunger days are things that you don't eat on your low calorie days? Can you find a pattern in your eating?
    I honestly can't find a pattern either... I use to think that it was related to boredom as they usually starts in the weekend but it isn't always like that. Nor has it anything to do with womanly-things or exercise.
    And the strange thing is that I'm not even craving something specific. On the very low-calorie days I find myself often craving chocolate but right now even a mango or a plate of meatloaf with spinach sounds good...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If it's recommend to eat when hunger ensues naturally (W.H.E.N.) then maybe it's perfectly healthy to indulge the all-you-can-eat days as well as the meh-not-hungry days.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I like to overeat and undereat. Some days I am too busy to eat and I end up with 500-1000 cals. Other days I end up eating 3000-5000 easily because oh man do I love food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

From a hunter-gatherer perspective, it sounds kind of normal. There are times and places when food is abundant and times when it's more rationed. It also makes sense from a metabolic perspective to have days of eating a lot of and days when you're just not hungry.

Does it bother you, or are you just curious about the mechanism that causes something like that?