Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoothie & Extreme Stomach Problems page

kmacphee is offline Senior Member

Smoothie & Extreme Stomach Problems

Shop Now
    I have been drinking smoothies for years, and it wasn't until the past year when I began consuming more full fat dairy & coconut milk until I experienced severe digestive issues/stomach pain immediately after drinking my smoothie in the morning and lasts for about 2-4 hours...

Here is the 'recipe' with no measurements because I just toss things in the vitamix...

Whole milk (homoginized)
    Coconut milk
    heavy cream
    6% fat greek yogurt (just milk ingredients and bacterial cultures)
    Chia seeds
    Dulse flakes
    little bit of pure maple syrup for sweetener
    raw veggies (today tossed in lettuce, cabbage, carrot dry coleslaw mix)
    avocado
    frozen fruit: berries, strawberries, banana
    almonds
    walnuts
    cinnamon
    sprinkle of oats

Unfortunately, the only change I have made has been the move from soy milk to full fat dairy, and that seems to be where the problem is coming from. Otherwise, I will have a bit of cream in my tea, and some with berries a few days a week, but I don't drink milk because I seem to have a bad history with dairy.

Mostly my breakfast is eggs/meat & veggies with no issues, but I like to have a smoothie once in a while and my wife and children love them.

Has anyone else experienced this?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    diary gives me bubble guts, try it with just coconut milk

I was thinking that I woud start with eliminating the dairy...thanks for the suggestion.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Hey now that were on the subject - how much coconut milk do you put in a smoothie? I started the PB recently and want to try the coconut milk so I bought a few of the small cans (5.6 oz - I think). Anyways, do I throw the whole little can in? I didn't want to buy the big cans because I like to mix up breakfasts and didn't want leftovers sitting around.
    Last edited by AnneArchy; 06-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    If you had a bad history w/ dairy, you are probably lactose intolerant (or casein sensitive). The milk, cream and yogurt will need to go. Try substituting coconut products and a probiotic tablet. If you are truly lactose intolerant, even yogurt will cause stomach upset. If you had digestive issues before going primal, your gut may need some time to heal (say 6 months) and then you can gradually introduce dairy in small amounts. This is the case with many celiacs whose lactose intolerance goes away when their intestines heal without the grain. Speaking of grain, try ditching the oatmeal too. If you want to bulk up the smoothie, perhaps more nuts or nut butter.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest eliminating the dairy but adding in kefir. You will get more benefit from it than the yogurt and because it is fermented it should be easy on your belly.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    Hey now that were on the subject - how much coconut milk do you put in a smoothie? I started the PB recently and want to try the coconut milk so I bought a few of the small cans (5.6 oz - I think). Anyways, do I throw the whole little can in? I didn't want to buy the big cans because I like to mix up breakfasts and didn't want leftovers sitting around.
    i can do a big can in one smoothie, but only on days where i really need the calories/fat. i also freeze it to make icecream or use the leftovers in cooking. Some people here get upset stomachs with that much coconut milk tho, test it out, see what feels good.

I usually toss in the small can when making a small smoothie (small glass for me, my wife and two kids), but when making large smoothie I use the whole large can.

thanks egoldstein. I don't often use the oatmeal but for some reason tossed it in today, that one is easy to ditch.

I will decrease the dairy for a while and see what happens with adding more coconut milk and I think I will try soaking the nuts overnight but have never done so...any help is appreciated.

never thought of kefir because I always disliked the taste...I am sure I can hide it in the smoothie...thank dacec.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast