Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoothie & Extreme Stomach Problems page 2

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmacphee View Post
    never thought of kefir because I always disliked the taste...I am sure I can hide it in the smoothie...thank dacec.
    trust me, you definitely wont notice it in a smoothie! The stuff literally makes me gag straight, but I love the results of ingesting it. 8 oz in my smoothie works perfectly!

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I made the yummiest smoothie today. @3/4 can of coconut milk, 5 strawberries, a stevia packet, and my diatomaceous earth. The coconut milk masked the texture of the DE. It was SO yummy. Just like a strawberry milkshake.

I agree with everyone else. Ditched the dairy and use the coconut milk.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    You could consider taking a lactose pill before consuming dairy. I take one before I drink milk products on the rare occasion.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    This week I discovered that I am sensitive to lactose. How? For a long time I had been drinking no milk, then two days ago I found out that my protein shakes taste much, much better when I make them with milk. So I had three full-milk based protein shakes throughout the day ... and you don't want to know how often I went to the toilet that day. Today I tried again, only this time with lactose-free milk, and lo and behold: No problems at all.

Look for lactose free milk ... it's a little higher in sugar (glucose) because it's made by adding lactase, which does the job that your small intestine can't do when you're lactose intolerant: Split lactose into glucose and galactose, so that you can digest it instead of providing food for microbes in your large intestines.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    Look for lactose free milk ... it's a little higher in sugar (glucose) because it's made by adding lactase, which does the job that your small intestine can't do when you're lactose intolerant: Split lactose into glucose and galactose, so that you can digest it instead of providing food for microbes in your large intestines.
    Thanks for that tip. I often see LF milk and never thought about trying it. I will go with the kefir and coconut milk, then eventually add LF milk and see what works best.

^ the best test is if you go lactose free for a week and then consume milk again. If you experience the typical symptoms within a few hours from drinking milk, you know for sure.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    regular kefir has lactose, although many people who cannot tolerate milk or ice cream can tolerate kefir, I agree with the above that you should eliminate all dairy to see if that's the cause. There are some alternative things like coconut kefir or water kefir, but I haven't tried them.

Kefir doesn't contain much lactose, and many lactose intolerant people can indeed tolerate small doses (it's not like with celiac disease or allergies, where even small amounts can cause severe reactions). But I agree that the best way is to go 100% lactose free for a while and conduct a test.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Oooh- avoid homogenized dairy like the plague! It damages the arteries and vascular system: http://www.communicationagents.com/s...ar_disease.htm

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had a smoothie today but made it with the same fruit and other ingredients except I used coconut milk and soaked cashews. No digestive issues today. I doubt that I will use the soaked cashews on a regular basis, but at least I know that it has something to do with the milk.

hazyjane...Unfortunately I don't have any access to raw milk, so I buy Organic (pasturized) milk as often as possible but once in a while I end up with the homo stuff. I will look into other choices, thanks for the article.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast