Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on refined sugar/sugary primal foods? page

Alfi56 is online now Senior Member

Opinion on refined sugar/sugary primal foods?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How much sugar do you guys typically allow yourself? I'm finding that I am having cravings for sweet things. I tried to satisfy the cravings by eating fruit and sweet potatoes, but I am craving refined sugar-like cookies and such.
    Do you allow yourself some refined sugar once in a while? I'm afraid if I treat myself to refined sugar or even something with lots of sugar (like a Larabar), that'll kickstart a bad cycle of wanting sugar and carbs more and more often because I had trouble with controlling sugar cravings before going paleo. Nowadays I'm having "cheat days" more often where I eat more carbs & fruit (though never over 130g of carbs), which makes me crave it more. I'm wondering whether I should try to stop having "cheat days" because they are fueling my cravings, or try to satisfy my cravings with something actually high-sugar, like a larabar or a cookie something.
    Thoughts?

campeavy is offline Member
    Why do you have a cheat meal, because you truly need it or because you just feel as though the idea of a cheat meal will help?

Larabars are known as "Paleo Candybars" and you can treat them this way. Let yourself eat one to curb cravings every once in a while, but don't just give into cravings every time you get them.
    M / 18 / 155 lbs / 5'9" / 12% BF

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Opinion on refined sugar/sugary primal foods?

For god's sake it is just a cookie... You only live once.

Eat it. Eat the cookie. Take it into account calorically.

Yes it sounds like CW wisdom but I find that if nothing is "off limits" to me I never get out of control. Knowing I could have a cookie or a slice of cake if I wanted....equates to me only recalling one week in recent history where I did: Gluten free cake for dinner 3x in a row for my bday. That was in July.

Otherwise I eat plenty of carbs from fruit and don't make carbs into evil things and my cravings for carby junk falls away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by campeavy View Post
    Why do you have a cheat meal, because you truly need it or because you just feel as though the idea of a cheat meal will help?

Larabars are known as "Paleo Candybars" and you can treat them this way. Let yourself eat one to curb cravings every once in a while, but don't just give into cravings every time you get them.
    I have a cheat day because of the cravings, and I guess I hope the "cheat days" would help with them, without actually giving in by eating refined sugar.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    My experience with sweet cravings is that they are 99% psychological and 1% physical. My carbs are typically 100-150g/day, so I'm not carb-starved, for sure. Still, I hardly notice 1T refined sugar for a dessert or in tea as a post-dinner treat. If I have more than that, I do make a mental note because it's almost certainly not about nutritional needs.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    For god's sake it is just a cookie... You only live once.

Eat it. Eat the cookie. Take it into account calorically.

Yes it sounds like CW wisdom but I find that if nothing is "off limits" to me I never get out of control. Knowing I could have a cookie or a slice of cake if I wanted....equates to me only recalling one week in recent history where I did: Gluten free cake for dinner 3x in a row for my bday. That was in July.

Otherwise I eat plenty of carbs from fruit and don't make carbs into evil things and my cravings for carby junk falls away.

Sometimes I do feel like I should just "eat the cookie", but I have trouble because I feel like that will turn into "eating a cookie" every week. I find that eating sugar tends to fuel my sugar cravings, yet I don't know how to kick it.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Sometimes I do feel like I should just "eat the cookie", but I have trouble because I feel like that will turn into "eating a cookie" every week. I find that eating sugar tends to fuel my sugar cravings, yet I don't know how to kick it.
    For me I incorporate pure sugar by itself minus the grains and seed oils into my diet and my craving for cookies and ice cream disappeared. Pure sugar by itself isn't bad, and isn't as hyperpalatable as something high fat-high sugar (cake cookies ice cream). I have 2 types of ice cream in the freezer but I barely eat a few spoonfuls before I am done with it. No cookies in months. No cake other than bday cake in July. However, I understand that my high sugar intake isn't primal. (Mark does have a teaspoon of sugar in his coffee every day though)

------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on what you want out of Primal, and how long you've been primal.

While there is some thought that craving something means you need it, I think the flip side is that junkies and alcoholics crave things that they absolutely do not need.

So, my thought is that if Primal (or the stricter Paleo) has become a way of life, go ahead and indulge once in awhile. But if you're just beginning, you might be stalling your progress by indulging your old way of eating. Most of us can wrap our heads around 90 days. Be really Primal for 90 days. Then, evaluate how you feel, and go from there. If you still want the cookie, eat the cookie.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

SO update:
    I didn't eat the cookie, but I did eat something something with lots of sugar in it. Now I'm feeling the consequences, because I want to "cheat" more and more, and I'm craving sugar. I'm also craving bread and wheat again.... any help? I would say the bread cravings are really bad, because my family eats a SAD diet and I'm surrounded by crackers and the smell of bread...

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Now I'm feeling the consequences, because I want to "cheat" more and more, and I'm craving sugar. I'm also craving bread and wheat again.... any help?
    Uh...don't eat crappy stuff and eat better stuff instead? Just a crazy thought I had.

Sent via lightsaber

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast