Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Craving baked goods/junk food page

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member

Craving baked goods/junk food

Primal Fuel
    Recently I have been craving junk food-like chocolate chip cookies and baked goods specifically. I can't remember the last time I've actually eaten "real" wheat-flour & sugar containing junk food. I tried satisfying the craving by eating lots of fat-coconut butter, full-fat yogurt, salmon, full-fat cheese, avocado, olives, grass-fed beef, but it hasn't worked. I've also tried by having a day with more carbs of fruit and sweet potato but that didn't work either.
    I think it might be that I'm in college right now, and on my way to campus I always walk by the stores which smell of bagels & cream cheese, pizza, subway (which is gross but actually smells really good), and crepes.
    Sorry for the long post, but Any help for getting over the craving? I really don't want to give in and eat a cookie, because of the load of flours and sugar in it.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Eating more carbs generally might help. Seems like your body is craving for carbs. Eating a tub of butter isn't going to do much for a carb craving... Eating a few bananas might though.

Or just have a damn cookie once a week. You're in college. It isn't an all or nothing diet. Practice 80/20 or 90/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Last time I had this craving was when I was curious enough to try out a coconut flour muffin recipe, and it turned into a full-blown craving for them all the time. I would literally only make 1 or 2 coconut flour muffins at a time and it would restrict me to a few and force me to wait half an hour for them to bake. After a week, this craving died down and hasn't since reared its head. Maybe you could moderately have a few and not sweat about it, and it will go away.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    How about dark chocolate, or even milk chocolate? I just ate a lindt truffle and I don't regret it. XD Maybe sweet potatoes? I assume you have a microwave?

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    So maybe I should increase my carbs a bit? I've always tried to stay under 100, but maybe I'll try upping it as long as I stay within a reasonable range.
    I admit I feel guilty or anxious whenever I eat refined sugar, even in dark chocolate. Maybe I'm just too paranoid about too many carbs/a little refined sugar?

gergirl Guest
    What does your workout look like? I think carbs are important if you want to be energized.
    If you workout a lot you should eat carbs. If I don't eat them I just end up as you were. I just cannot go without them. I gave up counting them, eat them even for dinner (try to limit them then, sometimes it works sometimes it fails). I didn't gain weight. Let me give you an example: If I workout on Saturday morning, I eat carbs the night before and start my cardio without a real breakfast (1/2 of a banana e.g., just to not workout on an empty stomach). I think I can give more then, might be just a psychological effect...but if I feel stronger, of whatever reason, I'm ok with it.
    If you don't workout, avoid eating carbs at night.
    Before anybody starts to contradict my opinion towards carbs: What works with carbs for me, can be "wrong" for others. I'm not going for LC, don't feel well doing it.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    So maybe I should increase my carbs a bit? I've always tried to stay under 100, but maybe I'll try upping it as long as I stay within a reasonable range.
    I admit I feel guilty or anxious whenever I eat refined sugar, even in dark chocolate. Maybe I'm just too paranoid about too many carbs/a little refined sugar?
    What is your activity level? What are your minimum caloric requirements? A sedentary 5'2" person doesn't have the same carb requirements as a 6' active person. Carb curve IMO fails here.

Nothing to fear about a tiny bit of sugar. You should be aware of hfcs but even Mark himself says "don't be afraid of a little bit of plain corn syrup" (which is basically the same as grains of purified came sugar).

Plus take it with a grain of salt if you must, but my cravin for junk food goes down as my consumption of plain sugar (a few teaspoons to fuel athletic performance) goes up. I have only had cake once in the past few months and it was for my bday in July. I just don't crave cookies and cakes the way I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    All that stuff always smells better than it tastes. When I smell something delicious like that I just breathe deep and enjoy the smell.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    You could try increasing your carbs and see if it helps. Personally, I don't feel guilty at all about a bit of dark chocolate or even milk. It makes me feel better sometimes and helps with cravings. But this definitely doesn't work for everyone, I know some people on here say they can't have a bite of something sweet or they won't stop.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you feel guilt when you eat something you 'shouldn't' according to a set of self imposed dietary law, then i wouldn't rule out the option of speaking to a psychiatrist about an eating disorder. Anorexia isn't just about starving yourself. It's also part of meticulous adherence to a diet or exercise regime in order to maintain an often un-realistic self image.. A form of depression. Don't ignore it.
    Refined sugar won't negatively impact your diet/life. All carbs are broken down to the same molecule of glucose. A carb is a carb. A cookie, albeit devoid of any decent nutrients, is another carb source equal to a sweet potato.
    I sincerely hope I'm just being overly worrisome..

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast