Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Craving baked goods/junk food page 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I work out with people with amazing bodies and health, they all eat sketchy stuff on OCCASION. Key word is on occasion. I have found if I want X, I just need to eat it. Last Friday, I ate a chocolate chip scone. It hit the spot and I just went right back to healthy eating and have not wanted one since, or any other crap.

In terms of pure healthy eating (not weightloss), eating "junk" once a week or even a couple times, as a snack or treat is no big deal. One or two cookies in the context of a week of whole foods (fruits/veg/meat) is not hurting your body. Most people who suffer from health issues related to diet are stacking the cookies on top of sugary staples like yogurt, cereal and other crap foods.

Is it easy to go off track? Yeah...sometimes I do and all it takes is tossing the offending food items in the trash for me. For the most part I try and keep my treats to single serve- a cookie, a croissant versus buying a large amount.

Fruit and sweet potatoes should not be on your radar as a bad food to be restricted or ashamed of eating unless you are explicitly doing Very Low Carb, then yeah, you need to restrict them for it to "work". But if you are doing Primal with that 75-100 grams of carbs, you have room for quite a bit.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    never heard of anybody binging helplessly on sweet potatoes, but know plenty who can down a whole box of cookies no problem. the two are not equal in the brain signaling department, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    'Devoid of nutrients'

I said that. Point still stands. A macro is a macro no matter where it comes from
    bullshit reductionism.

as evidenced in this thread, some do just fine having A scone or A cookie once a week, but if everybody was that dialed in to things nobody would be fat. moreover, those able to PUT DOWN THE CAKE have been primal quite some time and can read their bodies much better than the average joe or even those only primal a few months.

you may eat a whole bag of cookies and then feel a bit sick of eating cookies and no longer want cookies, but you will still feel hungry for real food. if not immediately, then soon after.

What Happens to Your Brain When You Eat Junk Food (And Why We Crave It) - James Clear

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...agewanted=all&
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    bullshit reductionism.

as evidenced in this thread, some do just fine having A scone or A cookie once a week, but if everybody was that dialed in to things nobody would be fat. moreover, those able to PUT DOWN THE CAKE have been primal quite some time and can read their bodies much better than the average joe or even those only primal a few months.

you may eat a whole bag of cookies and then feel a bit sick of eating cookies and no longer want cookies, but you will still feel hungry for real food. if not immediately, then soon after.

What Happens to Your Brain When You Eat Junk Food (And Why We Crave It) - James Clear

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...agewanted=all&
    What don't you understand about my original point? I acknowledge that you are 100% correct about satiation, nutrients, and whatever else you said. The better choice IS, categorically, un-equivocally, the better choice in food, HOWEVER, carbohydrate is 4 calories per gram. It will always be, no matter what food it is in. It may be reductionist, but certainly not bullshit. It seems your getting a bit angry.. Maybe you should have a cookie?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    am not angry at all, nor do i think sugar is the devil, but the over-simplification of a carb is a carb and a calorie is just a calorie is just nonsense.

although, i realize i am becoming a distinct minority with that view here.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    am not angry at all, nor do i think sugar is the devil, but the over-simplification of a carb is a carb and a calorie is just a calorie is just nonsense.

I agree with you. If someone is unable to stop eating cookies once they start, it is pointless for someone else to tell them they should be able to stop at one. The idea that "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" is not a part of finding a solution to the problem of irresistible cravings.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

I sort of agree with you and sort of don't. A carb is a carb but cookies and cake aren't just high in carbs... They are high in gluten, trans fats, PUFA, and contain the hyper palatable/fattening combo of fat + carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

I completely agree. If I have 100 g of carbs from a banana, that makes me feel full in a way that 100 g of carbs from 3 cookies doesn't. After 3 cookies, I tend to want more cookies (and can eat more, easily), but after 1 banana, I'm done.
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

toscamulder is offline Senior Member
    You guys know that dense, kinda fermented dark rye bread? Thin, square slices which already weigh like 50 grams per slice because the bread is so dense? I ate 600 grams of this bread a couple months ago while waiting for a but. Damn heavy. But sometimes I just have this moments. Bread doesn't really make me feel sick. Giving in can even make me feel better, speed up my metabolism and make me feel warm on a cold day. But yea, I'm a 16 year old girl who lifts weights every day. Just need more carbs. Btw, I'm on school from 8.30 till 4 so sitting all day. Get so tired from this! Why would you get tired from sitting? (in weekends when I'm active, I have all the energy in the world). Sorry, kinda off topic

toscamulder is offline Senior Member
    And I can eat like 6 bananas and still crave oatmeal. Then I make the oatmeal (the good stuff, lots of it). And eat it. And feel awfully full haha.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cool how different people deal with cravings and foods. I'm in the "I'm done after two bananas, but a bowl of oats will get get me wanting MOAR" bunch. That and oats are too close to wheat for me to not feel like an old, tight water balloon after. Rice pudding on the other hand... Or almond butter or raisins. Can NOT keep those around.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast