Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Craving baked goods/junk food page 2

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Craving baked goods/junk food

Primal Fuel
    More like orthorexia. Yeah. I worried silently after OP's first post but I didn't zoom in on it, hoping I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

mmmpork is offline Member
    I totally understand, it's not even anything physiological I think. We have such a deep relationship with our food, sometimes you just want something bready for some deeper psychological reason. My advice is experiment with grain-free flours.

Bread has been one of the biggest losses for me, nothing sops up sauce and egg yolks like it. I have a coconut bread recipe I've developed based off the one in The Coconut Flour Cookbook. It's great with ham and cheese, and also with homemade low-carb strawberry jam when I want something sweet. The Primal Blueprint Cookbook has a fantastic pumpkin muffin recipe that uses coconut flour. I've also used The Coconut Flour Cookbook (replacing the sugar with a smaller amount of Lakanto or Tabletop Just Like Sugar). I recently made a low-carb Cranberry Walnut Quickbread using coconut flour and fresh cranberries that really hit the spot for a craving I was having.

I think coconut flour is great for most things. I've also started experimenting with plantain flour. I recomend "diluting" the coconut flour with 1/3 arrowroot powder to downplay the coconut flavor and lighten the final baked good.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    What is your activity level? What are your minimum caloric requirements? A sedentary 5'2" person doesn't have the same carb requirements as a 6' active person. Carb curve IMO fails here.

Nothing to fear about a tiny bit of sugar. You should be aware of hfcs but even Mark himself says "don't be afraid of a little bit of plain corn syrup" (which is basically the same as grains of purified came sugar).

Plus take it with a grain of salt if you must, but my cravin for junk food goes down as my consumption of plain sugar (a few teaspoons to fuel athletic performance) goes up. I have only had cake once in the past few months and it was for my bday in July. I just don't crave cookies and cakes the way I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My activity level is "iffy", as everyday is almost like a hike getting to all my classes, so in that sense I'm getting a lot of activity but it's almost like chronic cardio it tires me out daily that i can't actually do anything "primal" like sprints or weights. I also hurt my back so I'm avoiding anything that will hurt it. I get a bout 2000 cal/ day, and I'm shorter than 5 feet; hence according to the carb curve I feel as though 100g carbs should be right for me.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    All that stuff always smells better than it tastes. When I smell something delicious like that I just breathe deep and enjoy the smell.
    Totally forgot bread exists, except when I walk by the baker section, then I remember...but find the smell repulsive for some reason. Bet nobody would eat that stuff if they didn't refine the hell out of it and stuff it with sugar.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I do not crave much, bread and pasta were surprisingly easy to give.
    What I do crave is seasonal candy. With the holidays coming and all the sweet things on display everywhere...

I don't know how long I wild hold out but I come to realize that if the craving doesn't go away after a day or two it's best to give in. You only end up eating more of other stuff if you don't
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    All that stuff always smells better than it tastes. When I smell something delicious like that I just breathe deep and enjoy the smell.
    Same. Though I realized the last few times I was near a bakery, it's the cinnamon or butter or chocolate that I like.

I still like the yeasty smell of beer or a good bakery, but the commissary bread aisle smells like glue and plastic lol.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Refined sugar won't negatively impact your diet/life. All carbs are broken down to the same molecule of glucose. A carb is a carb. A cookie, albeit devoid of any decent nutrients, is another carb source equal to a sweet potato.
    never heard of anybody binging helplessly on sweet potatoes, but know plenty who can down a whole box of cookies no problem. the two are not equal in the brain signaling department, sorry.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    the two are not equal in the brain signaling department, sorry.
    Thank you for keeping it real!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I understand how you feel. I have been having some gluten, dairy and egg free goodies lately. A local store does some really good donuts and a bakery while I was away did great cupcakes. I have been indulging somewhat but try to restrict it to a Sunday or a special occasion. I know I can't have them in the house, if I do I would have a lot of trouble leaving them alone. I know that the quantity of carbs. like rice, sweet potato or reg. potato has no affect on my naughtier cravings personally.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    never heard of anybody binging helplessly on sweet potatoes, but know plenty who can down a whole box of cookies no problem. the two are not equal in the brain signaling department, sorry.
    'Devoid of nutrients'

I said that. Point still stands. A macro is a macro no matter where it comes from

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast