Thread: Protein Sparing Modified Fast page

Protein Sparing Modified Fast

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys,

Anyone know much about a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) protocol. I am thinking of trying it (under a doctor's supervision). I see a few variations online - many geared towards already normal body fat body builders - but what I am talking about is a protocol to get morbidly obese people to lose a lot of body fat rapidly.

The protocol I would do is based on this one I believe.

PSMF Diet Program

Basically it is a very low calorie diet, and actually a "fast" except that you continue to eat lean protein and leafy greens so you don't lose too much muscle mass. Eventually you add foods in.

The foods themself are primal - lean proteins and leafy greens.

It differs from just doing low carb primal in that there is only fat that comes with lean cuts of meat - no other fats - and it is probably a little more low carb than most people who do low carb primal because it really only is the lowest of carb veggies.

I know it seems crazy - I think that's why I'm getting feedback - maybe deep down I know it is a bad idea and want you to talk me out of it? And/or wondering if anyone has any expertise in the matter beacuse I have finding a lot of good information to support this diet for use in people who are obese (My BMI is 42). I looked into the academic literature on it - and there is actually some good research supporting it. And, by the time you get into ketosis, you are no longer hungry, and the thrill of the quickly moving scale plus no hunger makes it easy to stick to. I personally know someone who took off 100+ lbs doing this and kept it off. Anyway, I saw one post where Mark alluded to it, but couldn't find anything about him talking about it.

Because of risk of dehydration etc. - it is monitored by a doctor with regular blood work. It is supplemented with potassium and sodium as needed, fish oil, and a multivitamin.

I fell off the primal bandwagon and am getting back on - I just thought I could use this to jump start a little.

So anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated - for or against a PSMF. I just ask that responses be kind. If you think that this is the worst idea ever, please feel free to tell me why, but please do not attack me personally.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    The effects of any nutrition plan will only last as long as you stay on it so ask yourself that honestly first.

concerns:
    Protein digests poorly without carb/fat-stimulated enzyme activity (tough since VLC increases your protein requirements)
    Vegetable (and multivitamin!) nutrients are poorly absorbed without fat

It could work--I don't want to dissuade anyone but my general attitude toward obesity is that it's the outcome of malnourished behavior so the antidote is probably more nutrition and not less. "Lean and green" is an old and reasonable strategy for fat loss but my preference would be to do it 1-2 (3 tops) non-consecutive days per week as a lifestyle with no end date. Temporary goals tend to mess with our heads.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I would hesitate to say that a PSMF that relied on lean meats and leafy vegetables (thus supplying no energy calories) was primal. But the theory is that if you eat as much protein as your body needs while doing regular resistance exercise, you will lose the minimum of lean body mass possible during rapid weight loss.

I couldn't get such a diet to work for me. The fat was too low and I would go crazy and crash. But I found that getting a few hundred energy calories (some of both fat and carbs) made a huge difference in the sustainability of the diet.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I think it is fine since you are doing it under supervision. I would recommend adding sea salt to your water/tea so you get enough sodium, and definitely make sure you get enough calcium, magnesium and potassium with the supplements.

I mean, I am at around 20-22% bf and I do protein only days under 1000cal when I don't have time to eat to offset some of my 3000-4000+ cal days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I appreciate it. Pick Pete - good idea about doing it just a couple, non consecutive, days a week. If I went that route, would it be okay to still be lower carb the other days? (but add back in fat, and maybe just a little more carbs - some starchier veggies, etc). Would it be okay to get an stay in ketosis?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I appreciate it. Pick Pete - good idea about doing it just a couple, non consecutive, days a week. If I went that route, would it be okay to still be lower carb the other days? (but add back in fat, and maybe just a little more carbs - some starchier veggies, etc). Would it be okay to get an stay in ketosis?
    Low carb is fine. Not a long term solution IMO but I did zero carb for 4 months and was just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Remember to get enough to drink, and at least one cube of broth per day. Lean meat with some vegetables, below 20 gram of fat and below 20 gram of carbs per day and around 120 - 150 gram of proteins. People with lots of bodyfat will usually do better on this diet than leaner people...