Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you were me, what would a day of food look like? page 2

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't really have any experience with eating disorders (although I'll admit the health/medical/science nerd in me is sort of fascinated and I read about them occasionally. It sounds really rough, and I hope you find some success).

One of the things I read was that eating disorders *can* originate in the brain with abnormal stress reactions. This particular article said it was somewhere along the spectrum from depression to scitzoicantspellbluh. So maybe instead of focussing on what you eat (a possible symptom) you can try some strategies in dealing with stress and emotions.

So what I would try is to first incorporate some destressing patterns, which you'll have to experiment to see what works. Try (as much as you can with a baby) to get good sleep. There are a lot of tactics you can try; search online. Also find something to do during the day whether it be a weekly yoga class, meditation, kickboxing, reading, or a walk after dinner.

Make sure you are getting plenty of micronutrients in your diet, so eat leafy greens, offals and boney pot roasts, fatty fish, and shellfish if you can get it. If you hate shellfish, fry some clams, you won't hate shellfish anymore.

I'm going out on assuming you have a SO or someone in the house other than you and the baby. Do they know about your BED? If they are willing to sit and talk/distract you from eating, maybe that can also help you work your way through it. I'm not a fan of going to doctors who will just treat with drugs, but getting some guidance from a medical precessional might be something to consider. Maybe you can find a holistic type near you?

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I eat a lot of high fat fish, this keeps me very full. I am not even thinking about foods until my next meal - ie, I do not snack because I eat such a high protein diet.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Your food intake doesn't seem like much for someone 5'6" and nursing. Do you not eat more on a daily basis because you still feel a need to restrict how much you eat? It's possible the bingeing urge will lessen if you eat more at each meal.

On the other hand, BED is really about feeding the hunger in your head, not your body, so there's a limit to how much you can do by manipulating what and how much you eat. I was bulimic in college and then binged myself up to 205 lbs at my heaviest. I was never very good at restricting. I wasn't able to take the weight off until I began to address the psychological drivers for my eating. But even now, holding steady at 123 lbs, I have bingeing episodes where I feel like no amount of food will be enough. I'm still working out how to address what's driving them, rather than just falling back on the old numbing effect of stuffing food in my mouth.

I know looking after toddlers is exhausting, so working on your disordered eating on top of that is really admirable. If it takes you a while, that's totally understandable.
    Last edited by LauraSB; 11-03-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

justme is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the empathy, LauraSB! It's nice when someone gets what being a mom brings with it (hard along with good).

I am doing what I can about my stress levels. Me time and money are two things that I just don't have. My partner is in his final year to earn his degree while working full time, which means that I am ... what do I call it? A pseudo single parent? That seems insulting to actual single parents. Whatever it is, I have no family support and so for the most part when it comes to our day to day lives, I'm on my own.

The BED definitely has huge emotional roots. I journal to try to talk it out as often as possible.

Thank you all for the input!

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

That sucks that your family doesn't support you. I've been away from my family for three years (military +overseas), but I honestly think the distance has made us closer when we do connect. Are they unaware of the situation or just really not supportive?

Hubby will graduate (providing he tries) and hopefully get a good job, and the baby will grow up sooner than it seems from day to day. (People I left pregnant are already on their second kid and looking at preschools omg). Day to day sucks sometimes, but it won't last forever.

And we are all here for you, so don't feel alone or give up.

Thanks so much for the support, RittenRemedy.

I come from a large but broken family. Of the three of my sisters who I stay in contact with, two live across a border and one is a teenager. J has parents here, but they are not the involved sort of grandparents.

I haven't really attempted to control my eating for the last 4 days as I transitioned to eating only real food. Tomorrow I will try lots of healthy protein and carbs (eating to hunger) and record what happens in my forum journal.

Good luck! I remember reading someone's journal where they mentioned high protein helped stop their binging. Can't remember who it was, I just remember them saying they ate a pork chop every morning, but there are people here who have beaten it.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    When I was nursing my daughter at 15m, I was a bottomless pit and ate a lot more than now. Based on your meals posted above, it doesn't seem enough. Even now nursing my 28m daughter, I eat around 2000cals daily. I am 5'4". I just eat until I am satisfied and I haven't gained weight.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Pastured eggs and chicken, grassfed beef and lamb, beef liver, butter, coconut oil, heavy cream, spinach, cottage cheese, gelatin.

Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12