Thread: Converted page

speednutsII is offline Member

Converted

Shop Now
    I've been primal for about two months. I have never felt this good in my entire life. As a 31 year old man, I'm in better shape (and weigh less) than I did when I was 18: 147 now versus 155 then at 5'10".

As a pharmacist with a Doctorate in pharmacy and a BS in Biochemistry, I cannot implore people enough to really think about and explore with experimentation the primal way of eating. I see the effects of a long life of poor food choices every day in the operating room where I work. While medicine is trying desperately to help people, we all as practicing professionals feel as though we are fighting an uphill battle. If you spent one day with me, you'd see the ravages of heart disease (CABG's and valve replacements), diabetes (kidney transplant, amputations), cancer (constant surgery for cancers) and on and on.

I've experimented with vegetarianism and veganism (felt awful, constant canker sores, GI upset and anxiety on that grain based diet) to the SAD (pretty much ate that my entire life). I've never had a lot of weight and was always pretty skinny up until my last year of pharmacy schools. I did a rotation in New York City, ate a lot of pizza and chinese food and drank a lot of dunkin' donuts iced sweetened coffees. In a month, I went from 155 to 170 and was at 170 for 3 years.

I lost weight on the vegan/vegetarian diet (while running 12 miles a week). I was able to get down to 155 but, as I described above, I felt awful. After severe GI upset with a subsequent CT scan, I discovered one morning for myself that my GI upset was being caused by soy milk. Soy milk is my one and only food allergy that I am aware of but if I developed this, what else could I have? I haven't touched soy milk in a year and have had no return of my GI symptoms.

Two months ago, I started primal. It began with the basic assumption. We were no longer vegan at this point but one day we thought: we know grain fed cows tend to suffer from GI problems and infectious disease. Why are we opposed to eating grain fed meat but continue to feed grain to ourselves. Plunging into the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolfe and The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, it fueled our drive to alter this part of our lives. Putting on hold our almost thrice daily consumption of grains was a sea change in our daily habits and thinking. My fiance, the physician with an incredible talent for baking, thought this change to be very difficult indeed.

Suffice it to say, although there are times I have ice cream, or candy, or a margarita that is not primal approved, we are about 80 to 90% committed. Recently I had a cholesterol panel done and my doctor couldn't believe the numbers. She thought my lost weight (down to 147) must be the result of something much more serious going on. But it's not. It's a shift in how I am eating.

As I write this, I'm 8 hours removed from having breakfast (two eggs, grapes and spinach at 4:30 in the morning) and I'm still not hungry. These types of food choices are by far the best food choices I've ever made. I can't describe how amazing I feel these days. From my mood much improved to my anxiety gone to the complete disappearance of my chronic canker sores, it's been life changing.

As a healthcare professional whose job and livelihood essentially revolves around you not making any changes to your diet, I say to you: put me out of business.
    Last edited by speednutsII; 11-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.

tiramisu. is offline Junior Member
    2 eggs, grapes, and spinach is like a snack.
    I hope the rest of your day is supplemented with adequate nutrition.

That's about a 300-400 calorie breakfast and a far cry from what people typically eat at 4:30 in the morning. And yes, I get about 2000-2500 calories per day pretty easily.

tiramisu. is offline Junior Member
    I'm curious, what do people typically eat at 4:30 in the morning that makes your breakfast look so outlandish in comparison?

Well, typical fare are doughnuts and power bars among the attendings/residents. So, I should qualify "people" by saying my colleagues.

I suppose there is a point to your rather uninformative/borderline sarcastic questions?
    Last edited by speednutsII; 11-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.

ryanmercer is online now Senior Member
    Awesome, you are a good asset to the community
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Speednuts, congratulations! Love your story (I like your breakfast too).

the health implications of society continuing to eat SAD are staggering indeed.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! I'm also 31, and work in a hospital sickcare setting.

Pardon our forum. It houses a few zealots like myself!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

TheNewMe is offline Member
    Just wanted to say hi and I appreciate your post. I am new to posting on the forum (although not new to the forum). "Put me out of business"... That's great! Too bad we all know how very secure your job is. But I love to hear from health professionals out there who are living it and can help spread the message.