Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Training isn't going well page 3

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
    Rich and old school,
    The adaption that is desired is greater endurance which translates into more reps. One of the ways of accomplishing this is more volume in greater number of sets with fewer reps per set. I used this method to enable me to hit 100 reps in a set. Some people confuse 'getting stronger' with more reps. Not the case. The person who can do 100 push-ups in a single set isn't necessarily stronger than the person who can only do 50. When I used to bench in the mid 350's, I couldn't do as many push-ups as i can now but I was definitely stronger.
    To the original poster. If your trying to increase reps per set, a method I used was to take whatever your max is ie. 30. And your desired goal let's say 100. 3x a day 5 days a week try this 30,25,20,15,10. The next week increase the reps in each set and reduce the sets (35,30,25,15). Continue with this method and you WILL get to your desired max reps. Now in my example, I used increases of 5 reps which may not happen from week to week. The point is to have the reps of your sets total what you want to be able to do in one set. Then of course your doing 3-5 sets.

Hope this helps.
    and in a very very tight schedule
    I hate doing endurance reps and I apparently suck at it.
    Doesn't sound to me that 'The adaption that is desired is greater endurance' ?

Even if this was his goal( Which from the quotes above I'm sure it is not ) then I'm still very skeptical of the degree with which you can influence a muscles ability to perform volume work.

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Doesn't sound to me that 'The adaption that is desired is greater endurance' ?

Even if this was his goal( Which from the quotes above I'm sure it is not ) then I'm still very skeptical of the degree with which you can influence a muscles ability to perform volume work.
    I agree he isn't too clear on how he is measuring his improvement in his first post. As to increasing muscle endurance, that isn't really debatable. I didn't base my post on theory. It is from my experience and the experience of those I've worked with on this technique. Kinda common experience that if one consistently gradually increases work volume, you increase your endurance. For instance farmers who load bales of hay (which I did for a summer as a teen), initially I would tire pretty quickly, by the end of the summer I could go all day.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
    I agree he isn't too clear on how he is measuring his improvement in his first post. As to increasing muscle endurance, that isn't really debatable. I didn't base my post on theory. It is from my experience and the experience of those I've worked with on this technique. Kinda common experience that if one consistently gradually increases work volume, you increase your endurance. For instance farmers who load bales of hay (which I did for a summer as a teen), initially I would tire pretty quickly, by the end of the summer I could go all day.
    Who has an easier time lifting 70# bales of hay all day, someone whose max hay bale lift is 100# or someone whose max hay bale lift is 300#? You can and should train strength endurance. But strength is the more valuable and more persistent adaptation.
    The Champagne of Beards

quikky is offline Senior Member
    More strength = less effort = more capacity for endurance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123