Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training isn't going well page 2

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Bodyweight squats? This sounds like exercise, rather than training. Where's the progressive nature? Just hoping that you'll be able to do more reps next time?
    My thoughts exactly !

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    I would say to look at You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning if that's the kind of workout you're looking for. Provides structure for progression and doesn't take long.

Still need to know more about your personal stats, goals, etc. to be really helpful.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    True, it's not such a very clear program, but that's mainly because I do my workouts home, and in a very very tight schedule.

My workout pretty much consists of 2 sets of pushups (max reps at each set), 2 sets of pull ups - one regular and one with an underhand grip, also for max reps, and 2 sets of squats for max reps.

My pull up reps are pretty much consistent, yet my pushups seem to decline every once in a while (got to about 60, then went down to about 30..)
    I don't really see any point in doing an exercise that permits more than 10 reps or so but that's just my opinion.

Regarding the push ups dropping it may be that you just became better at isolating the muscle groups and creating more tension.
    I can bang out maybe 50-60 push ups but if I do them on hex bells and apply constant inward tension to stress my pecs I only get maybe 7-10 reps !

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Regarding the push ups dropping it may be that you just became better at isolating the muscle groups and creating more tension.
    I can bang out maybe 50-60 push ups but if I do them on hex bells and apply constant inward tension to stress my pecs I only get maybe 7-10 reps !
    Totally agree. If I just try to bang out some pushups and don't concentrate on maintaining high tension and keeping my elbow in the right track, I can probably do 40 or more. If I use controlled form and really focus on keeping everything tight, 15 is a struggle.

Sounds like you are using the template from the Primal Blueprint exercise e-book, right Drlove? Maybe you should try progressing to the next difficulty level for pushups. Or really dial in your form so you are sure that you are not varying it from one workout to the next. Or do something completely different as suggested by others, it all depends on your goals.

gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    I would say to look at You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning if that's the kind of workout you're looking for. Provides structure for progression and doesn't take long.
    Just wanted to recommend that

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the answers.

I am getting a weight vest, so my current exercise routine is something to keep me going until I get it.
    I hate doing endurance reps and I apparently suck at it.

I will look into "You are your own gym" and "Convict Conditioning" though, sounds interesting, thanks.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Stop doing max reps.
    If you want to increase your rep numbers, do more sets/volume with less intensity.
    If you want to increase your strength, do fewer reps of more difficult exercises. Convict Conditioning is awesome for this.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Stop doing max reps.
    If you want to increase your rep numbers, do more sets/volume with less intensity.
    If you want to increase your strength, do fewer reps of more difficult exercises. Convict Conditioning is awesome for this.
    Without the Intensity where is the stimulus to cause an adaptive response ?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Without the Intensity where is the stimulus to cause an adaptive response ?
    My thoughts exactly !
    The Champagne of Beards

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Rich and old school,
    The adaption that is desired is greater endurance which translates into more reps. One of the ways of accomplishing this is more volume in greater number of sets with fewer reps per set. I used this method to enable me to hit 100 reps in a set. Some people confuse 'getting stronger' with more reps. Not the case. The person who can do 100 push-ups in a single set isn't necessarily stronger than the person who can only do 50. When I used to bench in the mid 350's, I couldn't do as many push-ups as i can now but I was definitely stronger.
    To the original poster. If your trying to increase reps per set, a method I used was to take whatever your max is ie. 30. And your desired goal let's say 100. 3x a day 5 days a week try this 30,25,20,15,10. The next week increase the reps in each set and reduce the sets (35,30,25,15). Continue with this method and you WILL get to your desired max reps. Now in my example, I used increases of 5 reps which may not happen from week to week. The point is to have the reps of your sets total what you want to be able to do in one set. Then of course your doing 3-5 sets.

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast