Thread: Has any Primal guru ever addressed baby reflux??? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Has any Primal guru ever addressed baby reflux???

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been looking for information on why it happens...from a Primal perspective of course...and can't find anyone that touches it. :-(

All the articles I've found say it's just cause the baby didn't grow enough in womb to lengthen the esophogus. Well I don't buy it...sounds like a typical BS doctor's answer to me. I'm sure it has something to do with diet. It has to, right?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Most of what I've read from folks involved in the "whole food" diet world (online) is that it's often a sign of some kind of food reaction from what the mother ate or something in the formula. Cutting out the usual suspects (grains, gluten, dairy, soy, eggs etc.) seems to yield good results.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Do you drink sparkling water? That's a big culprit.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what baby reflux is but I've always wondered why children have such terrible, wet, disgusting coughs. Every single one of them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Both of my children had silent reflux REALLY BAD.

To the point of aspirating the stomach acid, choking on it and turning blue.

So bad that I had to sleep them on their stomachs with their mattress raised on
    one end... and me sleeping in their rooms as infants because I was petrified of SIDS.

I know that SIDS is a random thing, and not caused or exacerbated by stomach sleeping,
    so SIDS experts can back off, please.

Anyway, I really, truly and seriously thing that COLIC is really just reflux in ALL babies
    that experience it.

Swear to God.

I believe it has NOTHING to do with babie's diet, womb time, or what you ate when
    you were pregnant.

I think it has to do with the fact that your babies stomach contents are so incredibly close
    to the mouth and the fact they're in a lying position MOST OF THE TIME, that the stomach
    contents has no choice but to splash back up into the throat.

What's curious is that not all babies get it or have it.

That I can't explain other than the fact that it could be hereditary.

My husband had it since birth up until even now at the ripe old age of 45.

I got it AFTER my children were born.

My children are now 8 and 11 and showed ZERO sign of reflux after the
    age of 9mo.

But those first 9 months were sheer hell, lemme tell you.

Good times too, but you know what I'm saying.

Julia

And just an addendum - I DID do an elimination diet when I was nursing.

Got down to JUST EATING TURKEY for a month, nothing else.

A MONTH.

And you know what? It didn't do shit.

Not Bitter, Nope, Not Me,

Julia

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My own daughter almost never spit up. My sister's daughter did all the time.

This isn't really spit up.

I mean, in some cases it is, but in the case of silent reflux, that's why they call it
    silent, you don't even know your kid has it because there is zero evidence of it.

The stomach acid just fountains at the back of the throat and erodes it.

There's no spit up, no vomit, no nothing but your child screaming in pain and refusing
    to get into the nursing position because that makes it worse.

And then when they finally are starving to death and HAVE to eat, it's painful to swallow.

Regular reflux is the same, but there's evidence of it.

Always smelling like vomit, bile or clear stomach acid stains on the clothing, and then
    all of the rest of the symptoms that I mentioned for silent reflux.

Most times, spitting up was a problem from improper burping or overfeeding.

Julia

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    My son did, my daughter didn't. My wife followed the same diet oth times. I think the standard explanation is correct, just a 'lazy' flap. Of course, foods could exacerbate it, or give a non-reflux baby temporary reflux. But a reflux baby is always bad. We raised the bed as well, and every time we fed him would make sure he was held upright for at least 30min. Even in the night. He is 15 months now and he just has wet coughs now. His bed is still raised.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I've been looking for information on why it happens...from a Primal perspective of course...and can't find anyone that touches it. :-(

All the articles I've found say it's just cause the baby didn't grow enough in womb to lengthen the esophogus. Well I don't buy it...sounds like a typical BS doctor's answer to me. I'm sure it has something to do with diet. It has to, right?
    I don't know of anyone in the Ancestral Health space who has. My best guesses as to who might have would be Dr. Cate Shanahan or Sally Fallon at the WAPF.

Possibly, more likely -- there's a nutritionists with a low-carb/natural foods approach who had a podcast of good general interest but who often talked about issues specific to women and children. Haven't listened for a long time -- partly because their show isn't always relevant to men. They *may* have mentioned the issue in a podcast -- you could check iTunes.

These are the ladies:

Nutritional Weight and Wellness

FWIW -- and this is a strictly amateur opinion as regards the medical perspective -- I think you're likely right. That's to say, my sense of how evolution works in the long-term is that things do "just work". I think the stuff one sometimes sees about evolution's being imperfect is a lot of hooey. It's all finely tuned over hundreds of thousands of years and only gets disrupted when conditions change too fast to be coped with.

In "the wild" women would probably breastfeed till 2 or 3. The first weaning food would probably be sonething like raw liver -- pre-chewed (which would have more than a mechanical advantage). All this is very unlike a modern infant's start in life. And then again babies, who inherit their mother's stomach bacteria, may inherit a disrupted microbiome, owing to antibiotic use, etc. I'd hazard a guess that while infant physiology might make certain problems show themselves, that probably only happens when other conditions that wouldn't have been present in the past are there.

Might hearing problems be a possible parallel? As I understand it, small children can sometimes have problems with hearing, because of the small diameter of their ear-canals. However, that small size might not be a probblem if there weren't discharges to foul the passage ...

I don't claim anything for the above thoughts. Just thoughts thrown out. But maybe see if Dr. Cate or Sally or the ladies from Minesota have anything on this.

EDIT:

Sorry. I gave a link to the ladies at Nutritional W & W but no ref to Dr. Cate or Sally Fallon.

For Dr. Cate just google "dr cate".

The most likely place there'd be something on this by Sally is here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982338317

But maybe check the WAPF site too.
    Last edited by Lewis; 11-03-2013 at 04:16 AM.