Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Paleo, But Don't Believe in Evolution? page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

Eating Paleo, But Don't Believe in Evolution?

Primal Fuel
    Curious -- are there people who practice an ancestral diet, but who do not believe in evolution?

This fellow has a darkly humorous video where he talks about the fact that evolution is real, but Americans don't believe it. I wonder how much this accounts for the whole nutrition thing still not being figured out -- because you can't teach evolution in the USA without people flying into a rage.

He correlates belief in evolution with religion and societal disfunction (inverse correlation).

Only 14% of Americans believe in pure naturalistic evolution.

Why Evolution is True and Why Many People Still Don't Believe It (Jerry Coyne, 2012) - YouTube
    (why they don't believe it -- starts at 47:20)

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Eh, to me it doesn't matter. Not eating processed crap works just as well whether you call it Paleo or the Adam and Eve diet.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Yeah but if you believe the world is only 6,000 years old, we would have been eating grains/dairy at that time, therefore an ancestral diet would be grains.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I believe in evolution big time... however there are somethings science can't explain (yet) that calls for now for another more god (or goddess) like explanation...

anyway, if I remember it correctly, during Genesis in the bible god didn't make pre-packaged foods, chemicals, hormone injections or candy. From what I remember all he gave Adam and Eve were fruit trees, plant and animals. (he even told them not to eat the apple... might have been because it's high carb ) But in essence, what god gave Adam and Eve was Primal dieting...

So if you believe in Genenis or Evolution, the diet of early humans was the same...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    So he correlates the breakdown of social norms with the adherance to a set of rules that govern personal behavior? lol....

Pretzle is offline Junior Member
    I have to say praying 'give us our daily bread' does feel slightly weird now that I don't eat any of the stuff anymore But obviously you can take that to mean several things, and bread = sustenance is a pretty standard association.

Sometimes I do wonder either 'what am I doing' (food-wise) or 'So what do I believe with regard to how literal the Bible is?'. But most of the time I'm not too bothered about it. If it works, it works.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    You do realize it is ridiculous to say that you "believe in" evolution or that evolution is "true"? And I mean ridiculous from a scientific perspective that supports the theory of evolution. Read Darwin- he was an actual scientist and how he discusses evolution sounds nothing like the evolution thumpers of the present day.

Part of the reason Americans reject science is because those making the argument for science generally don't know what the hell they are talking about- the power of fundamentalist religion is ebbing in America, and if you talk to people you will find that their rejection of science generally isn't religion based, it's because "science" is being described to them in a way that they recognize as extremist and weird.

I don't eat most grains and limit others because they make me sick and there are sound scientific arguments why they are harmful to me. "Evolution" is neither an argument for nor against a Paleo diet.... I'm not the only one here who doesn't care one bit what Grok ate because... Sigh, because why would I? That is just a replacement religion of sorts... ancestor worship, not scientific reasoning.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    I eat this way because it is healthy and makes sense and I feel great. I'm a person of faith and student of scripture. We don't all need to agree on everything to agree on some things.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Interestingly enough, it was being taught Evolution in school that lead to me questioning the food pyramid in the first place, though I'll admit I arrived at an erroneous conclusion. And I did get it taught in school, though it was a simplified method. I was also fortunate in that my parents gave me a "Big Book of Science" when I was quite young, and I read that often.

I was also raised Catholic, which you'd think would be combative, but not so much. That's probably why, before actively deciding to be extreme, I was completely OK with religious beliefs co-inciding with scientific truths, and wondered how we could net them together to form some kind of super social thing like in Dune (Orange Catholicism, if I recall). They say St. Mary's was the birthplace of Religious Freedom...

It blows my mind when I hear that you can't teach evolution in school, since I was taught it in school. When I took biology in college, one of the opening paragraphs stated that all biology only makes sense in light of evolution. Maybe I'm just in the right area?

M.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Curious -- are there people who practice an ancestral diet, but who do not believe in evolution?

This fellow has a darkly humorous video where he talks about the fact that evolution is real, but Americans don't believe it. I wonder how much this accounts for the whole nutrition thing still not being figured out -- because you can't teach evolution in the USA without people flying into a rage.

He correlates belief in evolution with religion and societal disfunction (inverse correlation).

Only 14% of Americans believe in pure naturalistic evolution.

Why Evolution is True and Why Many People Still Don't Believe It (Jerry Coyne, 2012) - YouTube
    (why they don't believe it -- starts at 47:20)
    That depends on which part of the USA you're from. Evolution is taught almost everywhere and the states lobbying for creationism as a valid course of scientific study are laughed at by the rest of us. Personal belief systems are something else entirely.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast