Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Paleo, But Don't Believe in Evolution? page 6

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    But it's not the 2.1 million lifetimes in the span that are relevant. It's about 5 times that much, because you don't wait until you're 100 to reproduce. So for a super complex, long-lived creature that has 20-year generation times, you get something like 10.5 million generations. Of course, for shrew-like early mammals of all types, the generation length is probably significantly shorter. Let's call it 3 years, which is probably generous. Now you have 70 million generations.
    I wasn't going to for the 'generation' factor. Just using the 100 years meted out consecutively as a demonstration of the time involved.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    Let's say you were going to live to be 100. If that's the case, you could live out 2.1 million lifetimes in that span. What amount of adaptation would you consider to be appropriate for that amount of time? And what are you basing that on except complete inability to comprehend both time and evolutionary progression?

And you can't count to 210 million. Just sayin'.
    Look at how many fruit flies with a lifespan of what, days, have been reared in captivity--they are still fruit flies. It's a generational thing, not a life-span thing. If I live to 100, and extremely prolific, I could produce thousands of children over the course of 85 of those years, creating far more chance for genetic errors than if I only had one kid. I think genetic errors account for some changes we see, but not the massive changes that clearly have happened in the past 210 million years.

otzi Guest
    I disagree. If he counts at a pace of 2 numbers per second (this will get tough once the numbers get into the nine digits, i.e. one-hundred-forty-one-million-three-hundred-forty-six-thousand-two-hundred-seventy-eight), and completely foregoes sleeping and/or any other activity that gets in the way of counting, he will get to 210 million in a little over three years.
    I inherited the ability to count without moving my lips, so I could do it in less than the time allotted, I believe.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    +3. (It was just +1, but it speciated)
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Comparing a scientific theory to a made-up idea is not productive.
    There now your statement works.

Scientific Theory:
    When used in non-scientific context, the word “theory” implies that something is unproven or speculative. As used in science, however, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    damn you and your beardy agreement. It's always shrouded in hairy ambiguousness.
    :-D :-D :-D

(Hey how come the smileys are not workin'? Wreckin' my post!)
    Last edited by excursivey; 11-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I inherited the ability to count without moving my lips, so I could do it in less than the time allotted, I believe.
    Except if you get to one-hundred-forty-one-million-three-hundred-forty-six-thousand-two-hundred-seventy-eight and then lose your place and have to start again. In any case, you aren't going to ever count to 210,000,000. I'll bet you $210,000,000.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post

Scientific Theory:
    When used in non-scientific context, the word “theory” implies that something is unproven or speculative. As used in science, however, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.
    That's why I didn't preface it with "scientific"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post

Scientific Theory:
    The problem is that in the common usage "theory" has come to mean "a defective fact", as in "It's just a theory". Combined with the common but easily disproved notion that "the less you know about something, the better you are able to come up with creative insight", as well as the idea that everybody's fanciful notion deserves as much respect as a theory supported by millions of man-hours by trained researchers, we are lucky there is any reality-based knowledge out there at all.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The problem is that in the common usage "theory" has come to mean "a defective fact", as in "It's just a theory". Combined with the common but easily disproved notion that "the less you know about something, the better you are able to come up with creative insight", as well as the idea that everybody's fanciful notion deserves as much respect as a theory supported by millions of man-hours by trained researchers, we are lucky there is any reality-based knowledge out there at all.
    So true. You see this in the arts as well. A director may spend hours considering how a scene could go or how a line might be delivered and then an actor has "an idea", just in the spur of the moment and thinks it's a fresh take. Chances are that idea is one of the first 20 or so the director considered and rejected. Hubby teaches art and it's maybe even more pronounced in the visual arts: look at this squiggle I made in 10 seconds, isn't it great? It's just as good as Picasso's, isn't it?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast