Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Paleo, But Don't Believe in Evolution? page 33

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    that's a great point. kind of touches on philosophy a little. are there just goo people and bad people, and that's the way of things?
    Right and wrong are directly related to what will keep the ones in power, in power. Devised rules for our society. Just as the bible lays out plans for people to follow, society dictates plans for people to follow. This is why they always change over time, and is a proper prediction of social entropy.

The problem with current society is now that consumerism is being portrayed as good thing, as is focusing on career to have "money" to buy their merchandise, being selfish and consumed is now societal norm, and less focus is placed on all the good morals that have been laid out before us(whether or not you believe in God or not); which shows what you were talking about in your previous example and prediction of social entropy. It's simply the way things are turning, hence victim of circumstance from current society. This is why crime rates will continue to rise.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Personally, I think that debating and arguing about the details of the process of evolution is pointless in the context of deism vs atheism. Either one understands and accepts evolution as a general concept or rejects it entirely in favor of whatever mythology they find comfort in. There is no scientific evidence that will thwart a deist from believing in their faith and no evidence of a deity that will cause an atheist to believe that something unphysical exists.
    Sure, but you can't conflate real deism with not believing in evolution, which is the subject of the thread. I object to the insinuation that evolution is a matter for belief more than anything. It's observed on a daily basis. It requires no supernatural hand. It has provided us with a model upon which so many advancements have been built. Denying its role in how things came to be this way is plain silly, no matter how good one is at making internet arguments. I'm certainly not trying to convince anybody that nothing exists, just pointing out that no supernatural being is necessary to explain how the proliferation of life took place.
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Right and wrong are directly related to what will keep the ones in power, in power. Devised rules for our society. Just as the bible lays out plans for people to follow, society dictates plans for people to follow. This is why they always change over time, and is a proper prediction of social entropy.

The problem with current society is now that consumerism is being portrayed as good thing, as is focusing on career to have "money" to buy their merchandise, being selfish and consumed is now societal norm, and less focus is placed on all the good morals that have been laid out before us(whether or not you believe in God or not); which shows what you were talking about in your previous example and prediction of social entropy. It's simply the way things are turning, hence victim of circumstance from current society. This is why crime rates will continue to rise.
    The problem with current society is that it's utopian. It takes behaviors that people commit and outlaws them, knowing that people will continue to commit them. Daniel Quinn uses the examples of trespassing and interrupting. Both things are annoying, but we have 2 very different ways of dealing with them. Trespassing is a crime, while interrupting is not. The way we deal with interrupting doesn't say "Thou shalt not interrupt," it says "when someone interrupts, the best way to deal with it is ______". We forget that all the laws were formulated this way when we lived in the social system given to us by evolution, the gift from the Gods of this world that was the tribal system. Any new forms of government will still be forms of government. Only when people begin to recognize the wealth that our ancestors took for granted for 2 million years and demand it for themselves that we'll walk away from all the consumerism and other "bad" behaviors you're railing against. Because if we don't realize we can have security and meaningful lives, we'll take HDTV's and toasters, if that's all we recognize as being available.
    The Champagne of Beards

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post

I agree. the whole victim of circumstance and woe is me nonsense society that we live in is appalling. there was once a time when people were ashamed to be this way. now it's an encouraged way of life. I feel old when I talk like that, but at the age of 34, it's sad that I've seen such a drastic societal decline in such a short time
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Again, you're arguing over pointless details and the line is drawn across the boundary of deists and atheist. An atheist or non-deist at least can accept that there is an evolutionary process whether they choose to understand or not. A deist will find flaws and wants to bring supernatural concepts explanations into the discussion.

The original topic is "How can one eat paleo but not believe in evolution?" and my answer is because one is a deist. A person's diet works or doesn't work for them independently of what they believe and the evolution does not require one's belief. To be a deist you must believe in some sort of supernatural concept and that's a very hard thing to let of for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Again, you're arguing over pointless details and the line is drawn across the boundary of deists and atheist. An atheist or non-deist at least can accept that there is an evolutionary process whether they choose to understand or not. A deist will find flaws and wants to bring supernatural concepts explanations into the discussion.

The original topic is "How can one eat paleo but not believe in evolution?" and my answer is because one is a deist. A person's diet works or doesn't work for them independently of what they believe and the evolution does not require one's belief. To be a deist you must believe in some sort of supernatural concept and that's a very hard thing to let of for many people.
    Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by deism. If a person's god isn't out there performing miracles, then he simply set the laws of nature in motion and let it play out. Wouldn't a deist accept the reality of evolution by natural selection?

Like I said, maybe I misunderstand...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Deism holds that God does not intervene with the functioning of the natural world in any way, allowing it to run according to the laws of nature.
    The Champagne of Beards

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I agree with this. I don't think there are very many truly religious people out there. The simple fact that our country is capitalist and yet predominantly Christian is a contradiction.
    Christianity and capitalism are compatible. I wouldn't call this country capitalist, though.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The opposite of atheism is theism, not deism.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    And the opposite of deism is adeism...

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Good to know that religious topics always bring heated debate, even on health forums
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast