Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Paleo, But Don't Believe in Evolution? page 32

tony_in_nj is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for the backup. I tried to post the idea that saying the killing of religious by non religious for non religious reasons was caused by religion was like heads I win tails you lose. Guess I hit cancel instead of post. I'm "all thumbs" with this mobile device..ha.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

tony_in_nj is offline Junior Member
    Wow... guess I didn't understand the post. Thought you were agreeing with me. Ok ill shut up now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    If that's your point, I agree in this instance. Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people; same analogy used of guns. World War II was entirely a political war. If an atheist can commit atrocities(Mao, Stalin), then one can't blame religion without seeming hypocritical.

I never liked that debate from atheists, ever. Where they claim the world would be better off without religion, as Lenin claims religion is negative to human development, yet openly states this:

“What does it matter if 90 percent of the Russian people perish, provided the surviving 10 percent bring about a World Revolution?”

Crusades?
    Last edited by Derpamix; 11-05-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Evolution yes, everything evolves, realizes latent possibilities that are present, also the organic species; they are not fixed platonic forms, at last not when considered under the category of time! But the scientific knowledge about the mechanisms behind biological evolution is incomplete and natural selection may be ruled by higher laws that science don’t understand and probably never will understand due to its limited focus and method. But something seem to be going on in the Universe, it is rather absurd to think that the ongoing evolutionary process that produces more advanced inorganic, organic, and social synthesis throughout time is a product of blind forces or chance. I am not postulating a transcendent Deity, since I find that solution not very satisfying, but an immanent evolving "Logos" like Hegels “Geist” or Spinozas “Deus”…

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    If that's your point, I agree in this instance. Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people; same analogy used of guns. World War II was entirely a political war. If an atheist can commit atrocities(Mao, Stalin), then one can't blame religion without seeming hypocritical.

I never liked that debate from atheists, ever. Where they claim the world would be better off without religion, as Lenin claims religion is negative to human development, yet openly states this:

“What does it matter if 90 percent of the Russian people perish, provided the surviving 10 percent bring about a World Revolution?”

Crusades?
    just an observation. the majority of humans are religious. the majority of people are assholes. they simply do not live by the basic commandments or tenets that they so highly praise on sundays. I've seen the cars pulling out of the churches, beeping at each other and yelling profanities at each other. I see the way the average person behaves at the supermarket. religious has become an excuse. a free pass to behave like a douchebag all week, then get saved on sundays. it entitles people to behave poorly for their entire lives, then find salvation on their deathbed. religion is, in fact, exactly what tony-in-nj alluded to before the "Survival of the fittest so take as much as you can... you have no higher power to answer to. So as long as you don't get caught its all good." religious people can do whatever they choose to do, and as long as they show up for church on sunday, they are forgiven for their sins. man does not require a fairytale to live the correct way. he doesn't need to be forgiven of his sins. he already knows the right way to live. it's the entitlement and forgiveness that seems to have bred the daily bullshit that people pile on each other. if there were repercussions for this stuff, and not forgiveness, things would most certainly change for the better. if church taught you that if you walk out the door and act like an ashole, the guy in the next car over is going to smash your face in with a tire iron, and that not only was it legal, but that god encouraged it, people would stop acting like assholes.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Evolution yes, everything evolves, realizes latent possibilities that are present, also the organic species; they are not fixed platonic forms, at last not when considered under the category of time! But the scientific knowledge about the mechanisms behind biological evolution is incomplete and natural selection may be ruled by higher laws that science don’t understand and probably never will understand due to its limited focus and method. But something seem to be going on in the Universe, it is rather absurd to think that the ongoing evolutionary process that produces more advanced inorganic, organic, and social synthesis throughout time is a product of blind forces or chance. I am not postulating a transcendent Deity, since I find that solution not very satisfying, but an immanent evolving "Logos" like Hegels “Geist” or Spinozas “Deus”…
    I never thought i'd say this...but I agree with gorbag. hell must be freezing over
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    just an observation. the majority of humans are religious. the majority of people are assholes. they simply do not live by the basic commandments or tenets that they so highly praise on sundays. I've seen the cars pulling out of the churches, beeping at each other and yelling profanities at each other. I see the way the average person behaves at the supermarket. religious has become an excuse. a free pass to behave like a douchebag all week, then get saved on sundays. it entitles people to behave poorly for their entire lives, then find salvation on their deathbed. religion is, in fact, exactly what tony-in-nj alluded to before the "Survival of the fittest so take as much as you can... you have no higher power to answer to. So as long as you don't get caught its all good." religious people can do whatever they choose to do, and as long as they show up for church on sunday, they are forgiven for their sins. man does not require a fairytale to live the correct way. he doesn't need to be forgiven of his sins. he already knows the right way to live. it's the entitlement and forgiveness that seems to have bred the daily bullshit that people pile on each other. if there were repercussions for this stuff, and not forgiveness, things would most certainly change for the better. if church taught you that if you walk out the door and act like an ashole, the guy in the next car over is going to smash your face in with a tire iron, and that not only was it legal, but that god encouraged it, people would stop acting like assholes.
    the bible verses do state that: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", just as there can be morals without religion, there can be morals in religion. The problem is neither, it's people's selfish and ignorant nature looking to utilize anything they can to excuse themselves and cherrypicking the parts they want to. I don't consider those people really religious, they're just more victims of current society, and hypocrites. Same as a prisoner who "finds God" in prison after committing a heinous crime; they're just looking for ways to deal with their moral dilemma in the easiest possible way because their innate morals as a human being are eating away at their conscious, and they don't want to face the fact that they're a monster. Odds are, and show, rehabilitated criminals will commit more crimes after they get out of prison.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

the bible verses do state that: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", just as there can be morals without religion, there can be morals in religion. The problem is neither, it's people's selfish and ignorant nature looking to utilize anything they can to excuse themselves and cherrypicking the parts they want to. I don't consider those people really religious, they're just more victims of current society, and hypocrites. Same as a prisoner who "finds God" in prison after committing a heinous crime; they're just looking for ways to deal with their moral dilemma in the easiest possible way because their innate morals as a human being are eating away at their conscious, and they don't want to face the fact that they're a monster. Odds are, and show, rehabilitated criminals will commit more crimes after they get out of prison.
    that's a great point. kind of touches on philosophy a little. are there just good people and bad people, and that's the way of things?
    Last edited by not on the rug; 11-05-2013 at 09:28 AM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I don't consider those people really religious, they're just more victims of current society, and hypocrites.
    I agree with this. I don't think there are very many truly religious people out there. The simple fact that our country is capitalist and yet predominantly Christian is a contradiction.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think that debating and arguing about the details of the process of evolution is pointless in the context of deism vs atheism. Either one understands and accepts evolution as a general concept or rejects it entirely in favor of whatever mythology they find comfort in. There is no scientific evidence that will thwart a deist from believing in their faith and no evidence of a deity that will cause an atheist to believe that something unphysical exists.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast