Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 411

Thread: Eating Paleo, But Don't Believe in Evolution? page 25

  1. #241
    Paleo0731's Avatar
    Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    356
    Primal Fuel
    A person that continually harps on someone of faith and calls that person delusional for not believing the same way they do or says they are using their faith as a crutch to avoid fear of death is no better than someone of faith that keeps harping on someone for not believing in God and condemning them for not believing in God.

  2. #242
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    My only problem with Rich atm, is, when I read through his previous posts he was thoroughly insulting about creationism and asserting that evolution was the only way, yet, when criticism came, he tries to defer to other people as if he wasn't even prepared to back up his own statement. After this, he shows personal incredulity by saying that I am simply not understanding. This is even worse than when creationists try to refute evolution from scripture in the bible.
    Do I need to understand all of quantum mechanics to know that spacetime is relative? Your problem is that you're exceedingly arrogant, and you are making less than clear objections, then namecalling when I don't intuitively know what you're talking about.

    I never claimed to have an advanced scientific understanding of natural selection down to individual genetic changes on the molecular level, but, as Lazarus explained to you before, I am aware of it and know that better thinkers than I accept this as the reality, based on observations of the universe, both inside and outside the laboratory. Whereas nobody accepts creationism as a reality based on actual observations of the universe, they accept creationism inherently and then try (usually very comically) to fit the observations to their preconceived notions. To use an extreme example: If carbon dating the dinosaur bones shows them to be several million years old, this was either a trick by God (to test our faith) or Satan (to fool us out of our faith). Obviously this is a wildly speculative conclusion that's not actually supported by the evidence. That dinosaurs roamed the earth for millions of years, on the other hand, fits with all the data.

    Seriously, if you think a divine hand is necessary to explain how complexity in the natural world came to be, then I do regard your viewpoint as quaint, like someone who thinks a million tiny angels angels hold him down to the earth and keep him from floating into space. It happens by itself. No divine or otherworldly hands are necessary. Every physicist knows this (see what I did there?).

    Whether or not I can list you the entire chains of A-T and G-C bonds involved in sprouting the first proto-eye or proto-wing is irrelevant to my argument. And I couldn't care less if you like me or not. I find you arrogant and self-important, not to mention a very sad and angry person. I'm glad I don't have to live inside your head.

  3. #243
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I have issues with religions that teach that we're flawed beings in need of salvation of some type or flavor to escape the misery of life on this planet. Unfortunately, this describes all the major religions of Eastern and Western civilizations. I'm in love with the old religion(s) of tribal peoples (animism) whose gods live here and whose earthly (only) lives have meaning, rather than being preludes to some kind of afterlife.
    i'm on board with this as well. the idea that we must follow a code that was written a few thousand years ago, and believe in fairytales in order to be accepted to his afterlife is just insanity. despite what turquoise says below, there is no "interpreting" religion. you either believe in those principals or you don't. yeah, you may bee a little more strict or loose, but at the end of the day, if you consider yourself a Christian/muslim/jew, you still have to believe in the basics.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  4. #244
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i'm on board with this as well. the idea that we must follow a code that was written a few thousand years ago, and believe in fairytales in order to be accepted to his afterlife is just insanity. despite what turquoise says below, there is no "interpreting" religion. you either believe in those principals or you don't. yeah, you may bee a little more strict or loose, but at the end of the day, if you consider yourself a Christian/muslim/jew, you still have to believe in the basics.
    The fact that the related belief-complexes are still tenable for people in light of the discoveries that pushed the birth of man back so many tens of thousands of years before Bishop Ussher's October 23, 4004 B.C., pulled the earth from the Universe's center out into the back corner of one of its walk-in closet, and yes, created us out of the same primordial slime as the amoebas and sponges and liver fluke is truly astonishing.

    But the good news is this: The world is a sacred place (and that fact doesn't require supernatural gods for me) and it is our home. It's okay to love the world and be a stranger to the love of the father, as John warned against. John's God had it all backwards. Man isn't the earth's steward, he was always and will be always its subject. The earth doesn't belong to man. Man belongs to the earth. This was universal wisdom amongst the tribal peoples our culture destroyed on its path to world domination. We disagree at our peril.

    The universe has had it right all along. We never needed a savior. We need to demand the fulfilling, sacred lives here, on this planet that our ancestors took for granted for so many thousands of decades. And then maybe we can inhabit the earth without consuming it.

  5. #245
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Man isn't the earth's steward, he was always and will be always its subject. The earth doesn't belong to man. Man belongs to the earth. This was universal wisdom amongst the tribal peoples our culture destroyed on its path to world domination. We disagree at our peril.

    The universe has had it right all along. We never needed a savior. We need to demand the fulfilling, sacred lives here, on this planet that our ancestors took for granted for so many thousands of decades. And then maybe we can inhabit the earth without consuming it.
    this needs to be the preface of every religious text printed from here on out. perhaps if this mindset was prioritized and taught to children before the religious hogwash is forcefed in to their hungry young minds, life here on earth would be a lot better.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  6. #246
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,745
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    But the good news is this: The world is a sacred place (and that fact doesn't require supernatural gods for me) and it is our home. It's okay to love the world and be a stranger to the love of the father, as John warned against. John's God had it all backwards. Man isn't the earth's steward, he was always and will be always its subject. The earth doesn't belong to man. Man belongs to the earth. This was universal wisdom amongst the tribal peoples our culture destroyed on its path to world domination. We disagree at our peril.

    The universe has had it right all along. We never needed a savior. We need to demand the fulfilling, sacred lives here, on this planet that our ancestors took for granted for so many thousands of decades. And then maybe we can inhabit the earth without consuming it.
    Ha! I now see why you are growing a beard Rich, you are aiming to be a prophet for your own private New age religion...

  7. #247
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Ha! I now see why you are growing a beard Rich, you are aiming to be a prophet for your own private New age religion...
    Well, technically speaking, animism is the oldest religion, and it has/requires no prophets, but if the beard fits...

  8. #248
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Ha! I now see why you are growing a beard Rich, you are aiming to be a prophet for your own private New age religion...
    nice

    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, technically speaking, animism is the oldest religion, and it has/requires no prophets, but if the beard fits...
    your beard is kinda weak son...you must be low on the animism totem pole
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  9. #249
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    nice



    your beard is kinda weak son...you must be low on the animism totem pole
    Ha, and you saw it before I trimmed it, when it was like its own state of matter, semi-penetrable and spongy like a bed of moss. But I had to chop it down to 1/2" for work, and now I look like a normal person again. Dammit.

  10. #250
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    this needs to be the preface of every religious text printed from here on out. perhaps if this mindset was prioritized and taught to children before the religious hogwash is forcefed in to their hungry young minds, life here on earth would be a lot better.
    I think every religious text should be prefaced with:

    "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

    And a postface that reads:

    "Story by George Lucas"

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •