Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Paleo, But Don't Believe in Evolution? page 18

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Simple questions often stump people, don't feel bad. ^^
    I am only stumped by the absurdity of this ignorance. The fact I haven't thoroughly lambasted you only means that I in some way feel sorry for you. I'll point you to any book on basic genetics ever, because you definitely seem to lack even beginning knowledge if you think his has ANYTHING to do with this topic.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Other notable "scientific theories" include:
    - Gravity
    - Black holes
    Also somewhat related to this time, time exists. Time is simple but also complex. But according to Derpamix time and change thru time don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    Actually all you've done "a dozen times" is babble on incoherently and demonstrate your ignorance. If you don't understand that chalking something up to genetic drift isn't an effective argument against speciation then I don't know what to tell you. Are you still standing behind your classic newb mistake of trying to apply probability backwards? Honestly I didn't even think you were that ignorant. And the "just a scientific theory"? Do you need me to explain the sheer ignorance of that phrase?

I am saving the best for last and I'm going to slander your arguments left and right.
    Well bring it it then because so far all you've done in this thread is put on display exactly how much you do not know.[/QUOTE]

OK

Btw, you've done entirely nothing in this thread to refute my posts. If I truly was misunderstanding, or didn't know, you'd have broken it down already. You can't even do anything as fundamental as showing me a crossover.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Also somewhat related to this time, time exists. Time is simple but also complex. But according to Derpamix time and change thru time don't exist.
    Oh boy and here comes the straw man.

I'll be home later. See you guys when I get back, maybe you'll have evolved into better arguers by then

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    This turned out to be more entertaining than I thought it would. I really have nothing to add about evolution. In terms of "theories" though of course they are far more than just hypothesis, but depending on what theory you are talking about and in what contexts there is nothing wrong with questioning the points that make them up. Usually theories are quite encompassing and actually become more of a framework under which we work and add to. Its like an accepted model where we are still working to fill in the holes.... if in the process of filling in the holes the framework needs modified so be it....

As to consensus and appeal to authority....well I rely on consensus and so forth in areas that are far outside my understanding or immediate field of expertise. In my own field or those closely connected though I would and do find relying on consensus to be a cop out. Outside of that though maybe there are some supergenius out there that can assimilate all the original data to formulate original ideas about everything, but I'm OK with admitting that ain't me.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I'd like to see some transitional or half-way forms between species uncovered,
    You mean like a dinosaur with wings & feathers & a break shaped face?
    Didn't they find a fossil like that somewhere in china a decade ago?

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Btw, you've done entirely nothing in this thread to refute my posts. If I truly was misunderstanding, or didn't know, you'd have broken it down already. You can't even do anything as fundamental as showing me a crossover.
    Seeing as how "crossover" is not a scientific term but rather a Creationist show of intellectual dishonesty what exactly do you want? I gave you examples of speciation. You want a bird that turns into a fish then turns into a horse then turns into a frog? That's not how evolution works, sorry. Your entire argument is based on this faulty logic.

The correct terminology would be transitional species which have transitional morphology. Of which there are numerous examples. Panderichthyids and Tiktaalike are both transitional forms between fish and amphibians. The latter being a transitional species between fish and land animals. Proterogyrinus and Paleothyris are transitional forms between Amphibians and Reptiles. I'm sure with your google skills you can educate yourself about them if you are so inclined. To say the above examples represent a drop in the bucket would be the understatement of the year.

You still have not managed to come up with a mechanism by which small scale changes somehow fall short of becoming larger scale ones. Or are you going to continue ignoring this little inconvenience?

Eureka5280 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post

You still have not managed to come up with a mechanism by which small scale changes somehow fall short of becoming larger scale ones. Or are you going to continue ignoring this little inconvenience?
    Actually if I've understood Derp's argument correctly, he has described the mechanism - his position is that micro-evolution is due to expression of recessive traits that were always a part of a species' genetic makeup, not a random mutation. This mechanism would allow for selective pressure to express or suppress traits and cause physical changes in a species over time but would not allow a species to change completely into another.

I have nowhere near the knowledge of evolution or genetics to begin to comment on the validity of that argument, but I think that's what he is saying. (Sorry if I'm oversimplifying or totally putting incorrect words in your mouth Derpamix.)

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Good lord..I eat the way I do because it's good food. I could not care less about cave people and what they did or didn't eat. I am just happy that hamburger helper is not part of my vocabulary or diet.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast