Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspiring people page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Inspiring people

Primal Fuel
    You know what I hate? The news. It brainwashes us to think that individuals are fundamentally selfish and / or stupid and that "reality" is full of evil people doing terrible things.

Personally, I dont believe that's reality, and I would love more inspiration in the media. So share with me: what person /event from the past or present inspires you?

To get us started: These 20 Photos Are Going To Make You Cry. But You?ll See Why It?s Totally Worth It.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I'm sure I have some stuff posted on one of my blogs, but I could just tell you about few of the awesome people I met when I was working for Unicef. Would that be ok?

otzi Guest
    I'm really wracking my brain...I thought I could come up with someone witty real fast, but unfortunately, I watch the news, too, and there is just not a lot of inspirational people in the news right now. I did see a guy wave a young mom and her kids into a parking spot he was clearly waiting for and then have to park waaaay out back at the hospital parking lot, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by BrainInABody View Post
    I'm sure I have some stuff posted on one of my blogs, but I could just tell you about few of the awesome people I met when I was working for Unicef. Would that be ok?
    YES! Please do share!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'm really wracking my brain...I thought I could come up with someone witty real fast, but unfortunately, I watch the news, too, and there is just not a lot of inspirational people in the news right now. I did see a guy wave a young mom and her kids into a parking spot he was clearly waiting for and then have to park waaaay out back at the hospital parking lot, does that count?
    Evidence that we really need a thread like this. [Cross face to the news ]

I love this: I Love You, I'm Sorry, Please Forgive Me: Ho'oponopono
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

This is incredible... people saving people from certain death, caught on camera.

One Of the Most Powerful Videos You Will Ever See ‹ truthseekerdaily.com

- Ray Peat

So I was working as a fundraiser for Unicef. Not a big fancy businessy type of fundraiser, but I'd work in a team of 10-30 other people and we'd go to the streets of Helsinki (Finland), rain or shine, all year round, and talk to people and ask them if they could sign up to make a monthly donation to Unicef. The sums would start at 6€/month (a little over 8 US$) and go as high as people wanted to, but most people would sign up for a sum between 6 and 12 euros (8-16US$). The money would be deducted directly from their bank account and the bank nor the state would touch it with any additional feels or taxes. It would go straight to Unicef.
    We'd make contact with 200-400 people a day. Maybe 2-4 would sign up for the donation. So as you can imagine we'd talk to all kinds of people. One thing you quickly see though, is that all people want to help, all people had a need to do good, it just took forms that didn't always match what we were looking for.
    Off the top of my head a few people I remember well:

The guy who couldn't afford to sign up for a monthly donation, but came back with two cups of coffee for me and my friend when we were doing our job outside, in the middle of winter.

The guy who signed up for 20€/month and said: "I'm not telling you this to brag, but that's one hour's wages for me. I just counted that if I can't give up one hour a month from all the time I have, to help someone who has absolutely nothing, then I didn't deserve that hour to begin with."

The lady with two friendly dogs who came up to my work mate and I, with a beer can in her hand in the middle of the day. She was obviously a very heavy drinker. Didn't have any teeth left in her mouth. Unemployed. She told us she donates 12€/month and she got her daughter to sign up too because she figured it was kind of a good deal for her since it was 12€ a month less for her to use on alcohol and it was 12€ a month that could mean a completely new life for someone else.

The guy who was waiting for his date, who signed up for 6€ and when his date showed up he talked her into signing up too.

The unemployed guy who waived at us that he'll figure out how to make his donation this month too, even though he wasn't employed and could've used the money for himself, but he'd been a monthly donor for so many years, he just didn't want to give it up.

All the hundreds of immigrants from Laos, Nepal, Ghana, Niger, Nigeria, Somalia, Haiti etc. who came to us and wanted to sign up because Unicef had helped them when they were children, by vaccinating them or getting them basic education and now they wanted to help others in turn.

And all the people who couldn't sign up because they were already donating tens to hundreds of euros to UNWomen, PLAN International, World Vision, Greenpeace, WWF, KIVA and Amnesty International.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You know what I hate? The news. It brainwashes us to think that individuals are fundamentally selfish and / or stupid and that "reality" is full of evil people doing terrible things.
    Stop watching the news. Sounds crazy? I'm serious. There is nothing there that is at all necessary. Cheering yourself up is a lot easier when you aren't constantly consuming depressing lies.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My hero:

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    Stop watching the news. Sounds crazy? I'm serious. There is nothing there that is at all necessary. Cheering yourself up is a lot easier when you aren't constantly consuming depressing lies.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I gave it up a few months back. Most if it is depressing and has nothing useful to say. It's mostly just shock value crap.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast