Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat on an elimination diet when everything seems to cause issue? page

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

What to eat on an elimination diet when everything seems to cause issue?

It seems that lately, everything I eat is causing major gut issues. I might as well just sit on the toilet all day.
    So, it seems like I would need to do an elimination diet, but what should I eat? For how long?
    Bone broth? I can make some but I do not have any grass fed bones, just regular grocery store meat/bones.

And yes, I have gone to the doctor and had bloodwork yesterday. Should see the results at my appt on the 8th. Honestly, I think I am hypothyroid or even Hashimoto's. Is there any correlation between Hashis and food intolerances/gut issues?

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Yes, there is a correlation between thyroid and adrenal issues and digestive issues. Are you having a lot of gas?
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Any bone broth will do, just skim off the fat. I like to roast chickens & use the bones for broth. Try starting out with bone broth, then add meat into it, then add pureed carrots (you can cook them in the broth, just have to blend it). I find the next thing that sits well for me is roasted/pureed squash.

If you are going to the toilet a lot (diarrhea?), bacterial overgrowth could be at play. If you sip something like kombucha or the juice from sauerkraut , does that make it better or worse?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Elimination diet principles from an allergist perspective:
    -Make sure there isn't anything else in your life that could be making you feel unwell.
    -Cut out foods you eat regularly and in large amounts, even if they are Primal. You're more likely to be sensitized to something you eat a lot of.
    -Start out basing your diet on 2-5 foods you eat rarely/less frequently, but know you can digest well. For example, swapping potatoes for swede and beef for chicken. The one that used to be recommended was the 'lamb and pears' diet, as most people in the US are tolerant to lamb and pears, but eat them rarely.
    -Stick to a macronutrient ratio and food balance that suits you.
    -Give it three days to three weeks before reintroducing anything. For some strange reason, people with food intolerances go through 3-21 days of feeling rubbish and desperately craving the foods they cut out before their bodies reset. This even applies to some already diagnosed problems; an example is a coeliac who feels awful for a week after cutting out gluten, starts feeling better and then starts craving gluten-rich foods.
    -Cook your foods simply.
    -Drink plenty of water.
    -Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
    -Slowly reintroduce foods, starting with the unlikely ones (ones you eat less frequently or have always tolerated well). Introduce more risky or likely allergens one at a time and give them at least 24h to display symptoms before trying another food.
    -Always reintroduce foods in the usual amount you used to eat them in. A smaller amount may not cause your signs/symptoms to return.
    -Bear in mind that some foods cause intolerance symptoms only when eaten in conjunction with other foods.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

I usually have major diarrhea and cramps. It sucks.
    I will try bone broth for a few days.
    Thanks for suggestions!

otzi Guest
    You've got a lot of reading to do, young lady! From the sounds of it, your guts are trashed, and what I mean by that is a problem with the intestinal microflora which resides in your large intestine, and possibly out-of-place bacteria in your small intestine, known as SIBO.

When you have gut problems, which stem from past antibiotic use, stress, parasites, poor diet, and/or other problems, your gut becomes leaky, (aka 'leaky gut syndrome'). In this state, all heck breaks loose in your body. Toxins are not effectively removed from foods, minerals and vitamins are not utilized properly, brain chemicals (like serotonin) are not produced, thyroid hormones are converted poorly (T4 to T3) and cholesterol and blood sugar get crazy.

I would think a visit to a naturopath with the results from your doctors visit will be very enlightening and they may run more tests, like stool and urine tests to look for parasites and stuff.

I get accused of making stuff up, so I will leave you with some links. What you are dealing with is way beyond the scope of MDA fans, but glad you are looking for others with similar problems.

How I Reversed My Food Allergies with Probiotics

Animal Pharm

The people who write these blogs are going through exactly what you are. No magic bullets, you have to look at a lot of things!

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it definitely sounds like you have SIBO. You might also be having some major gallbladder issues and bile acid malabsorption.

Go read my blog on what SIBO is and how you can treat it:

Treatment of Gerd Protocol #1: SIBO | FixYourGut.com

Also if you are ingesting bone broth and your digestion is in bad shape, molybdenum supplementation might be need to help process some of the sulfur in the broth.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

You're probably right, SIBO looks like a likely culprit.
    There's just so much info to wrap my head around. Elimination diet, what probiotics/herbal regimen to do etc.
    I absolutely have zero willpower when it comes to doing a diet or eating a certain way, but I guess now it's either do or die (or at least feel like it). That should be motivation enough, right?

So, would lacto fermented veggies be a good thing? I have tons of carrots that are begging to be made into pickles. What veggies are safest to eat? Green or non starchy?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blondiegreen View Post
    You're probably right, SIBO looks like a likely culprit.
    There's just so much info to wrap my head around. Elimination diet, what probiotics/herbal regimen to do etc.
    I absolutely have zero willpower when it comes to doing a diet or eating a certain way, but I guess now it's either do or die (or at least feel like it). That should be motivation enough, right?

So, would lacto fermented veggies be a good thing? I have tons of carrots that are begging to be made into pickles. What veggies are safest to eat? Green or non starchy?
    Your life depends on it!

You will get a lot of ideas from people, but getting a healthy gut is the best thing you and your family can do. Lacto fermented veggies are great. So are veggies right out of the ground, minimally washed. Yogurt, kombucha, kefir good too. Soil Based Organisms are just as important as the lacto-based organisms in fermented foods. You should look for a good probiotic that contains SBOs.

I clipped this from one of the links above and hope you will take time to absorb it, doctors are good at giving you bandaids for diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, stress, thyroid, and all that, but unless you get the gut healed, it's just bandaids.

There are a couple of elements that I believe are fundamental in a stable, homeostatic gut ecosystem that will take one to advanced longevity:
    --genetics (respect your ancestry... don't mess genetic expression with synthetic hormones, vitamins, endocrine-disrupting pollution, pesticides, GMO food/products, lifestyles, thoughts or people)
    --super tight junctions and intestinal IMPERMEABILITY
    --balanced flora
    --special 'keystone leaders' like E. limosum, B subtilis, B licheniformis, and many others
    --seed (return to the earth and intake healthy earth -- soil based organisms in fermented organic vegetables, fresh salads, and supplements if necessary (list here I like))
    --weed (avoid mercury, toxins, food allergens/gluten and detox/chelate safely)
    --feed with fiber (resistant starches, heirloom and native tubers, organic whole non-gluten grains, lentils, chana dal, legumes)
    --exercise daily to move the gut (peristalsis), e.g. 10,000 steps or one hour mild to mod intensity. SIBO causes impaired gastric and intestinal peristalsis (and vice versa, sitting/atrophy can affect SIBO)
    --misc (avoid unnecessary hospitalizations, CDAD (iatrogenic or antibiotic-induced C. difficile-associated diarrhoea), antibiotics, and other gut irritants like non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) -- ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, excedrine, etc)

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's a link for the paleo autoimmune protocol diet. The paleomom has a lot of good information about elimination diets.
    Autoimmunity The Paleo Mom
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast