Thread: Pins and needles page

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Pins and needles

Shop Now
    I've noticed lately that I seem to get numbness/pin and needles in my fingertips. They easily get cold and seem to take ages to warm up again. I have not always been like this, and when I mentioned it among my family they all complain of the same experience.

I'm wondering if we're lacking something? Genetics would help explain my children having it, but not my husband
    Or maybe they inherited bad circulation from both of us...

I also sometimes wake up with tingling fingers, this seemed to improve when I first went primal, but is back again perhaps not so bad.

Does anyone else have experience with this issue?

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I do - cold kills my hands. Within minutes of being in the cold the other day (-7C, so not even that cold and I had gloves on) my fingertips felt like a blowtorch was being held to them, it's terribly painful. I'm not convinced it's a circulation issue because the tips don't go white or blue, they don't change colour at all. They've been like this all of my adult life, at least since I lost a lot of weight (>150#) in my early twenties (33 now). Not sure of a genetic link - my mom has Reynaud's disease, which is a circulatory disorder that causes extreme cold sensitivity in the hands and feet, but her fingers go straight up blue when her hands get too cold.

As for the numbness, I've noticed it's happening a lot more lately too, especially when I'm sleeping, but not because I've been sleeping on my arm or something; it has happened when I'm sleeping on my back with my hands resting on my belly. I recall reading somewhere it can be caused by electrolyte imbalances in the body, which is something I've been battling to sort out for a couple years now.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking Reynaud's also.
    Also, Niacin (B3) deficiency. It was how I found out I was Celiac- my hands went numb.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Annie, just a thought, maybe try magnesium for a week or two. It won't hurt you, and i am adamant that both my restless legs and tingling fingers got batter after taking it.
    Good luck, and keep us posted
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Annie, just a thought, maybe try magnesium for a week or two. It won't hurt you, and i am adamant that both my restless legs and tingling fingers got batter after taking it.
    Good luck, and keep us posted
    G x
    Can you describe your restless legs? I had one doc tell me that's what I was experiencing when I complained of muscle 'flutters' in my calves, but what I've read of true restless legs syndrome was completely different. I still get the flutters now and again (called fasciculations, so says a neurologist I saw) but the Mg helps them a lot.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It happened to me when I was experimenting with IF. (cold hands and feet)

I supplemented with Magnesium and added breakfast back in. Much better now.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Can you describe your restless legs? I had one doc tell me that's what I was experiencing when I complained of muscle 'flutters' in my calves, but what I've read of true restless legs syndrome was completely different. I still get the flutters now and again (called fasciculations, so says a neurologist I saw) but the Mg helps them a lot.
    LT mine became really uncomfortable so i had to jiggle them or hit my feet together or some such. It really is a restlessness, and you can't relax and keep them still for long. I would also get to a stage where i would have to lie down if they were too jiggerty.
    Anyhoo all gone..............and it is the mag that deals to it.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....