Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waitress on her feet all day.... page

cinemax is offline Junior Member

Waitress on her feet all day....

Primal Fuel
    I'm a 51 year old female, 5'4 1/2" tall and I weigh 146lbs. I gave up grains and sugars over a year ago (I very slowly lost about eight pounds) and started eating Primal four weeks ago. I have stopped weighing but I do measure myself every Monday and I have lost 4.5 inches over all.
    I waitress four days a week, 7-8 hour shifts on my feet the entire time, rarely get a break. I practice yoga 3-4 times a week and have just started, push-ups, squats and the plank twice a week.
    I have been eating between 50-80 carbs a day and around 50 grams of protein and some fat. Last week thinking I might speed up my weight loss, I cut back on my carbs but felt low energy and just not well. So this week I have upped my carbs and also my protein. I do feel much better. I never really know how much fat to eat. I can usually go three hours between meals.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could improve on, change or add to this?
    I started having seizures over a year ago. That's what led me to stop eating grains and sugar, hoping they would stop but I was still having several a month. Not fun, definitely life changing. I haven't had one since I started Primal! Amazing!!! I'm thinking it's from the addition of fat? I can think better, focus on what people are saying to me for the first time in my life and have much better energy. All this in four weeks.
    I went to Amazon and read through the reviews on the book Grain Brain. That and a lot of other books and research I've done would back up the idea that the lowish carb, good fats, no grain/sugar way of life is the way to go for anyone with brain issues. I'm never turning back!
    Last edited by cinemax; 10-30-2013 at 08:45 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    "Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could improve on, change or add to this?"

What's your goal? Health? Energy? Losing Weight?

They are not all necessarily compatible. It sounds like health is the big one for you given you've eliminated your siezures (yay for you!). What did you eliminate to make the last switch to primal?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

peril is offline Senior Member
    50g of protein isn't much. Consider increasing it. Ketosis is meant to be good in preventing seizures. Also try to spread out your meals further - you should aim to eat no more than three times a day

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree with decreasing how often you eat. Every three hours is grazing, and humans aren't livestock. Our ancestors didn't have food available to them 24/7 and so probably lived lives of gorge/fast more than that of eating every few hours. You don't have to change in one swift movement - make it gradual so that you can psychologically adjust to the mindset of eating fewer but larger meals.

Awesome on the lack of seizures! 50 grams of protein is okay, but don't worry about eating more. Protein is good. Over all, it sounds like you're in a good place. Your job keeps you moving at a reasonable pace for a lot of hours per week, and you've added some strength exercise. And of course yoga is just awesome, and will keep you limber and strong for life.

IOW, we should all live in such a healthful manner.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I'd advise too to up the protein quite a bit. It would be good for you to eat dubble that amount.
    Also think of fat as the variable. You can play around with that one. It doen't matter how much you eat of that but if you feel weak you can up that on as well.
    For such an active life I'd advise to keep the carbs between 50 and 100 grams if you really want to loose weight but don't go under the 50grams. Like it or not but your body still needs fuel for such an active day and if you don't eat enough fat and protein as well it will take what ever it can
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Meal frequency is irrelevant.
    More protein is probably good.
    Fat is mostly irrelvant.
    Keep carbs at whatever you feel comfortable. However ketosis seems to be effective for epilepsy.

Keep up the good work.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cinemax View Post
    I started having seizures over a year ago. That's what led me to stop eating grains and sugar, hoping they would stop but I was still having several a month. Not fun, definitely life changing. I haven't had one since I started Primal! Amazing!!! I'm thinking it's from the addition of fat? I can think better, focus on what people are saying to me for the first time in my life and have much better energy. All this in four weeks.
    I'm not surprised.

Try googling, say:

seizures ketogenic diet

In fact, ketogenic diets were the sole treatment for epilepsy at one time, and seem to be helpful for a range of conditions where brain-function has become abnormal in one way or another. I understand they're also sometimes used for people with traumatic brain injuries.

Coconut oil, which directly supplies MCTs seems to have a therapeutic effect even when the diet isn't a true ketogenic one. See:

seizures coconut oil

I'd get a big jar and take a tablespoon or two a day.

The Caveman Doctor, has an interest in the therapeutic uses of ketogenic diets, including in cancer (he's an oncologist). He's likely got information on his site that would interest you:

Caveman Doctor - Caveman Doctor

I went to Amazon and read through the reviews on the book Grain Brain. That and a lot of other books and research I've done would back up the idea that the lowish carb, good fats, no grain/sugar way of life is the way to go for anyone with brain issues. I'm never turning back!
    Yes, I'm sure you're right.

As others said, I expect you can take a little more protein than you are. (Bt too much will push you out of ketosis, if that's your aim.) You may, indeed, need more fat — if you don't wish to run off sugar, and have cut your carbs right back. You've got to run off something! Although, to be sure, you should be able to run off stored body-fat — provided you can access it.

Being able to access it is a matter of ramping up your "fat-burning enzymes" as Dr. Cate would put it. Here, I agree with others: you do that by (a) eating enough fat and by (b) not eating too often.

But you may need to carry around a little fruit while transitioning and nibble a little if you don't feel right. Likewise, the change can upset people's electrolyte balance, so add some good-quality unrefined seasalt to your food and/or drink broth.

As well as Mark's stuff, you could try the Caveman Doctor's site, and his podcasts, since he's interested in this particular area:

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/rel...530264429?mt=2

And here's Dr. Cate's site:

http://drcate.com

Magicmerl,

My goals are Health, Energy and Weight loss for sure. I was wondering if anyone with more time into the Primal Life would see something in my post that stood out as needing a change.
    Changing to Primal for me was adding more fat and keeping track of my carbs. I had been eating as much as I wanted as long as it wasn't sugar or grains.
    Thank you for answering my post.
    Cinemax

Peril,
    I must say this is a huge help and another piece of the puzzle. Spreading my meals out will require eating more at each meal and adding in a little more fat. I'll keep working on that.
    Thank you for helping me!!
    Cinemax

MarrielleGO,
    I will definitely be upping my protein and increasing my fat. I wasn't sure how much protein to eat because I don't know what my lean muscle mass is. I feel better when my carbs are in the 50-100 range and that's easy to do with no grains/sugar.
    Thank you for helping me out!!!!
    Cinemax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast