Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Krill Oil vs. Fish Oil page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Krill Oil vs. Fish Oil

Shop Now
    I subscribe to Dr. Mercolas newsletter and he has yet another video on the superiority of krill oil vs. fish oil. You can see the video and read the article by clicking here.

I want all of your opinions. Do you think kril oil is far superior to fish oil? Mercola seems pretty convincing. I know Mark says its not much different.... But, I am just not sure on it.

Thanks!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    They're quite different but, well, Mercola also just sometimes makes sh*t up making it difficult to separate the fact from his own fantasy.

Krill oil is really expensive and some of us need more Ω3 than we could possibly afford to take in the form of krill.

Also, krill has some pretty powerful hormonal effects, which is good in moderate doses....it increases progesterone which is a powerful steroid hormone neuroprotectant for both sexes and for women, a powerful hormone that maintains mood stability premenstrually. Many women who take NKO continuosly will experience breakthrough bleeding midcycle due to high progesterone levels - other than it being a hassle, I'm not sure that it's a problem.

Take it if you can - or take *some* anyway but chances are you'll still need fish oil to bring Ω3/6 ratios to par.

My strongest recommendation though would be to not buy NKO from mercola. There are only one or two companies processing krill oil in the entire world - they just label it for everyone who sells it. Buy as cheaply as you can per mg of the oil (which will not be Harvest Health....lol, as much as I love them) So far, I've found nothing cheaper than iherb.com.

http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=neptune+krill+oil

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thanks! I may look into it in the near future. I have a lot of my Carlson's Orange Flavored liquid fish oil left. I love this stuff and it has excellent reviews on Amazon - possibly the best brand out there.

Nova is offline Member
    I've researched this. Krill is superior but the problem more is ecological. I read that Krill is the best fish oil, expensive but worth it. then verified that with a couple of homeo-pathics MDs, nutritionists and research studies - turns out the issue is more enviromental -- harvesting krill may be bad for the ecosystem (bottom of food chain).

Better than Krill, less expensive and without impact on the food chain is calamari oil (they prefer that term over "squid oil"). It's superior in terms of it's ecological impact (less harmful), it 's cost (less expensive) as well as its quality and absorbability in the human body.

I've found two sources for calarmari oil:

metagenics makes Calamari in gel cap form
    Carlson just last month came out with a new liquid form Calamari oil
    Last edited by Nova; 06-10-2010 at 06:17 AM.
    GROK STAR

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    They're quite different but, well, Mercola also just sometimes makes sh*t up making it difficult to separate the fact from his own fantasy.

Krill oil is really expensive and some of us need more Ω3 than we could possibly afford to take in the form of krill.

Also, krill has some pretty powerful hormonal effects, which is good in moderate doses....it increases progesterone which is a powerful steroid hormone neuroprotectant for both sexes and for women, a powerful hormone that maintains mood stability premenstrually. Many women who take NKO continuosly will experience breakthrough bleeding midcycle due to high progesterone levels - other than it being a hassle, I'm not sure that it's a problem.

Take it if you can - or take *some* anyway but chances are you'll still need fish oil to bring Ω3/6 ratios to par.

My strongest recommendation though would be to not buy NKO from mercola. There are only one or two companies processing krill oil in the entire world - they just label it for everyone who sells it. Buy as cheaply as you can per mg of the oil (which will not be Harvest Health....lol, as much as I love them) So far, I've found nothing cheaper than iherb.com.

Totally agree. Mercola is slowly coming out against the establishment more and more lately too, so I can't say I don't appreciate all the info he gives out.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I did a presentation on krill oil at university and the studies on it seem to show a benefit over standard fish oil at the same doses and are better absorbed, so you need less of the EFAs. It also has a high antioxidant capacity. Problem with this research though it that it was funded by the krill oil companies..............

I hear krill can be sustainably harvested. Doesn't it have the largest biomass of any animal on the planet?
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Politics aside, I'm now a firm beleiver in Krill. I've been taking fish oil for years, same dose (4000), and have always had very bad PMS, painful cycles etc. I take 2000 of Krill and 2000 of fish oil per day now.

TMI alert....

I've been on it a month, and while I did have one day of mild anxiety, I was better able to control it as I did recognize that I was "due" for it. Better than the two days of anger, moping, feeling sorry for myself, crying and emotional eating that my mid cycle would normally bring. PLUS I would also normally have two days of migraines just before my period, and this month? I had a slight migraine on one day that was totally manageable, I didn't even need to break out the heavy duty drugs. It also seemed to shorten my cycle by 6 days (from 37 days to 31), which I am A-OK with as the husband was due to come home smack in the middle of when it was supposed to start. LOL! I'm good with early!

Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    I did a presentation on krill oil at university and the studies on it seem to show a benefit over standard fish oil at the same doses and are better absorbed, so you need less of the EFAs. It also has a high antioxidant capacity. Problem with this research though it that it was funded by the krill oil companies..............

I hear krill can be sustainably harvested. Doesn't it have the largest biomass of any animal on the planet?
    According to Dr. Mercola, it does have the largest biomass of any animal on the planet. I may take some krill oil in the near future when my wallet allows.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    That sentence made me laugh. I've given up on him. With all the quality information I'm getting in the primal/paleo community, including a handful of PhDs I consider far more trustworthy than Mercola. I decided I just don't need the hype, fantasy and scare tactics. He's selling while others are informing.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey hey now let's not be too tough on Mercola. Somebody has to warn us about every single miniscule health hazard on the face of the earth. Nah I'm kidding, he has some good info sometimes. I'm just wondering when he's going to come out with his own high-quality envirofriendly anti-toxin bubble.

His reasoning behind krill out is kind of weak. It's more bioavailable but it's many times the cost of fish oil so I could just take fish oil. Fish oil generates more reactive oxygen species but the highest quality mixed tocopherol + tocotrienol supplement I could find combined with good fish oil was also much cheaper than krill. It's especially unreasonable for those of us trying to normalize our tissue ratio and still be able to pay rent.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast