Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best techniques to rectify hunched shoulders page

faredoon is offline Member

Best techniques to rectify hunched shoulders

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks,

I have had the problem of hunched shoulders since time immemorial. I have a desk job which worsens the problem. A lot of other problems started cropping up lately, like

• Pain in pectoral region and upper chest.
    • General feeling of "muscle pulls" in the neck and chin region.
    • Digestive issues, like a feeling of congestion around the throat.

Note: This sounds scary from the heart perspective, but I have got my tests done, and heart issues have been ruled out.

Because of these issues, regrettably, I don't feel like exercising due to fear of aggravating or worsening the pain.

A nice general intro guide to rectifying posture (especially shoulders) would be helpful. Any opinions are most welcome.

Thanks.
    Last edited by faredoon; 10-30-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Stand/sit up straight.
    More back exercises than front ones. Heavy rows, pullups, etc.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Try hot yoga, ought to be required for office workers.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Hire an RMT to work the front of your neck pecs and shoulders so they (shoulders) are no longer internally rotated. A good way to check if they are is by standing in a relaxed position and looking in the mirror. What parts of your hands do you see? Are your thumbs forward or is the back of your hand? If you see the back of your hand you're internally rotated and this causes a lot of stress on the glenohumeral joint plus thoracic spine and if it's really bad can cause issues with digestion.

It is also possible that you're having spinal column degeneration have had your back checked out? A chiropractor/RMT would also be able to help with this.

Plainly working on pulling your shoulders back doing exercises that work the trapezius, rhomboid, posterior delt, and rotator complex will help. Pulling heavy might be a little much at first so I would recommend light bands or movement based exercises at first and do them daily.

Y's and I's , wall angels, head pulls and pushes (hands on the back of the head and push your head into your hands vice versa) hitchhikers. I don't know what else they might be called but bend the arm to 90 degrees at the elbow with your hand open and thumb facing up. Keep your elbows at your sides and open your arm so your palm faces away from you. Hard explain but I hope you get the picture.

Everyday everyday a couple times a day you need to retrain your body to pull your shoulders back and strengthen your thoracic spine. Also thoracic mobility drills. Google that I'm sure something will come up.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My chiropractor prescribed me wall-facing squats. He also gave me a physical therapy ball to sit on. I use it at home and have noticed a difference in my posture. I am thinking of getting one for work too.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've been working on this for a while. Here's some stuff that helped/s me:

Wall slides
    foam rolling, chest and upper back
    bodyweight rows (from a TRX, or waist-high bar) *For some reason, machine and barbell rows don't help as much as the bodyweight rows.
    Esther Gokhale's book/videos
    Handstands against a wall. Be as straight as you can.
    Constant focus on good posture (I have my computer on a counter, and sit on a stool that my cat likes to share with me, so I just barely sit on the edge of it.)
    Some of the basic gymnastic stuff has been helping as well- Foundation One, or Building the Gymnastic Body
    Carrying heavy things, especially farmer's carries
    Back Bridges, when you have the mobility for them.

Essentially, your goal is to strengthen your upper back, and loosen up your chest muscles. It takes time. I'm seeing good things lately, but I've been working on this for a long time.

waterjen is offline Member
    I'm a big fan of using doorways to stretch/open my chest. Stand in the doorway, place hands on the door frame a little lower than shoulder level, and lean forward while holding onto the doorframe. Lean just until the muscles begin to pull, and hold for a few seconds. Repeat a few times.

Good luck!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    standing by the wall in bare feet, arms slides to above head
    swimming on your back (back crawl).
    planks, push-ups and squats, observed by a second person who corrects you into neutral position (or with a mirror), not to exercise, but to create a body memory of how it feels to keep everything properly aligned.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    My massage therapist told me that hunched shoulders is caused by the imbalance of muscle strength of chest and back...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast