Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners? page

poing is offline Member

Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners?

Primal Fuel
    When I was younger and could eat anything I liked, I still remember being reduced to tears by a menu. You know the sort of thing: whatever you like so long as its deep fried or 90 percent pastry.

I would rather eat nothing than eat stodge like that.

Unfortunately, then I end up super hungry, tearful and grumpy. And not very good company.

There was just such an occasion today. I visited a cafe that I've eaten at before, hoping to have some salmon, but they'd rejigged the menu and managed to add gluten to all the meals, and eating gluten isn't an option any more. The place was really busy and I was too upset to complain to the kitchen staff.

The hungrier that I am, the higher I set my food expectations. And they are pretty high to start with. So I often end up disappointed.

I want at least two different vegetables, quality protein and a delicious sauce, preferably cooked by a five star chef.

Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners? It's pretty much the exact opposite of a carb craving.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Ya restaurants and barcode packages are pretty mediocre on average--the competitive pressure to sell low-cost oil/sugar/flour is just too strong. I look for dishes that are laborious or inconvenient at home--fresh seafood, distinctive stews, big vegetable blends. The restaurants I truly adore and not dread can be probably counted on one hand, mostly tiny immigrant-run delis and cafés like Korean, Somali, Ukrainian.

The backlog of home recipes I want to try is so long I worry I won't live long enough! The cooking blogosphere is a dangerous rabbit hole.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Leida is offline Senior Member
    No, I actually went the opposite way. Now I want the simpler preparations, with no sauces. My husband really influenced me this way. Though I am starting to really crave curry. But we do not eat out at all.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    I think I know what you mean... since I've become primal I sometimes have moments where I look around and think, "If this is all there is to eat, I don't want anything." Before, the thought of just going hungry wouldn't have occured to me. Although I'd say my standards are a bit lower than five stars, heh. But all we have is pretzels and bagels? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    No, I actually went the opposite way. Now I want the simpler preparations, with no sauces. My husband really influenced me this way. Though I am starting to really crave curry. But we do not eat out at all.
    Have you made curry yourself?

jasperb is offline Member
    I make ten minute curries with store bought paste

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Where I live, good meals are available for a substantial price. I understand that places like San Francisco have good eats at reasonable prices. Cooking at home has become what I do. I'd really love to eat at high end places, but I won't pay top dollar for shit food. Even if you have a show on Foodnetwork.com.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you made curry yourself?
    Yep. I worked a few dishes from the Curry cookbooks. The problem is that my hubby's and mine taste in curries run the opposite ways. I like green curries, with coconut milk and every spice on the list, with high chicken/fish/shrimp content, etc, while he is into the tomato-onion-based one with just curry powder/tumeric and the potato-carrots-peas combo with beef (basically as close to a replication to a fast-food option as possible). I also like tubers/cauliflower with curry spice, tumeric and cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg.

Tomorrow, I am experimenting with savory curried pumpkin squares for Halloween.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners? It's pretty much the exact opposite of a carb craving.
    No, I love good food as well.

But, I see two things here.

Firstly, why are you hungry at lunch time? You eat breakfast at home, right?

When we're having a 'date night', we are usually eating at about 8pm (usually before 6pm because of the kidlies). And I find that I usually only start to feel hungry about 7.30pm, when I'm sitting in the restaurant waiting for the food to come.

Secondly, I don't expect good/gourmet food from a cafe. I expect it from a high end restaurant.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yep. I worked a few dishes from the Curry cookbooks. The problem is that my hubby's and mine taste in curries run the opposite ways. I like green curries, with coconut milk and every spice on the list, with high chicken/fish/shrimp content, etc, while he is into the tomato-onion-based one with just curry powder/tumeric and the potato-carrots-peas combo with beef (basically as close to a replication to a fast-food option as possible). I also like tubers/cauliflower with curry spice, tumeric and cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg.

Tomorrow, I am experimenting with savory curried pumpkin squares for Halloween.
    Oooo, you just gave me a good idea. I haven't really ever worked with pumpkin, but I have curry paste, pumpkin and coconut milk in the pantry, soooo...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast