Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners? page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    There is nothing wrong with appreciating good food. I don't mean snobby gourmet food. I mean REAL food. Real food cooked simply, yet thoughtfully, is astounding.
    I guess this is what I consider gourmet. Real food cooked simply. Real food where there's not a lot of whatever that seasoning is that they put on everything when you go out to eat. French cooking, I guess. It's fairly simple, except when it isn't.

That said, I can usually find something good when I go out to eat. A burger without the bun and with bacon and cheese is usually satisfactory. Once I got a chili burger without the bun and it was great. A trick I've learned is to order the pork chop (or lamb chops or any bone-in cut) if you go to a steak place. They don't use meat glue on pork chops so you know it's an actual chop. Making do with what's on the menu at a restaurant is what the 20% is for.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Gourmet food is not an issue if I want to spend the money. The issue is getting real food at any other price point, getting a burger where I know they haven't grilled it on the same grill and turned it with the same flipper as the bun, where I can be sure that they haven't sprinkled the meat or chicken to be grilled with a "seasoning blend" that contains flour, where they won't forget and put croutons in the salad, where I have the option of sprinkling olive oil on my salad instead of soy oil dressings, where they serve real vegetables, which you rarely see in restaurants of any sort around here.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I cook better than almost any restaurant. You have to take me to some place where dinner for two will be $200 and then the food will be better than mine.
    Same here! Last night's dinner: potato gnocchi (PHD recipe) with reggiano parmesan and parsley, turkey piccata, sauteed baby bok choy (of course everything s organic) for dessert cocoa macaroons.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    My meals don't look flash but I think they taste good and so does my family, I'm almost reluctant to show them how to cook because then my simple secrets are out and they won't be so impressed.

For example, last night was satay chicken with fresh broccoli. I simply put the chicken breasts in the slow cooker with a smear of pesto over them and left all day. Before serving stirred in a few tablespoons of peanut butter (yes, my 20%) to liquid that had formed. Picked the broccoli from the garden and steamed it while the rice cooked in the microwave.

Too easy, anyone could do it. I know this example is not quite fully primal but my other meals are just as straightforward to produce.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    My meals don't look flash but I think they taste good and so does my family, I'm almost reluctant to show them how to cook because then my simple secrets are out and they won't be so impressed.

For example, last night was satay chicken with fresh broccoli. I simply put the chicken breasts in the slow cooker with a smear of pesto over them and left all day. Before serving stirred in a few tablespoons of peanut butter (yes, my 20%) to liquid that had formed. Picked the broccoli from the garden and steamed it while the rice cooked in the microwave.

Too easy, anyone could do it. I know this example is not quite fully primal but my other meals are just as straightforward to produce.
    Wow, I never would have thought to mix peanut butter and pesto. I bet that's really tasty.

You cook like I do. I put some kind of tasty stuff on the meat, cook it, then serve with steamed veggies and potatoes. Mint pesto on lamb is good. Honey mustard (mix mustard and honey to make it yourself!) and ground walnuts (ground myself). Whatever stuff like that. I'm always on the lookout for some kind of "stuff" I can put on the meat.

Yesterday I made lamb korma. I buy Indian spice paste in a jar. It takes only a heaping spoonful to flavor the meal. Mix it with onions, meat and veggies and a little water. At the end, stir in some yogurt. So easy and I get rave reviews. Serve it with naan for the breadophiles and they think you're an amazing cook.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    Breakfast had been a bit minimal, as there was only one slice of bacon left, so I had that with a couple of tomatoes and an apple. Feeling fine at that point. By lunchtime I wasn't growling hungry, but I was ready to eat, and in the absence of salmon, I ate a very small satsuma, an even smaller apple from the garden, and one of my mum's homemade pumpkin GF muffins. (I'm 41, but my mum still sends me home with cake when I see her - I think she worries that I don't eat enough).

I wasn't really hungry until about 5pm, but then I had to drive home, dinner wasn't cooked until about 7pm and by then I was a bear with a very sore head. I do get cranky if I don't eat proper food!
    For sure. Your breakfast sounds a little light on fat to me. Did you have a bulletproof coffee or something to top it off?

Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    I also need to eat enough or I lose weight. I skipped breakfast earlier in the week - I'm sometimes not hungry until about 11 am - and was 2lb lighter the next day.
    You sound like my wife. The bulletproof coffee is probably an even better idea for you then. Since it's much easier to over-consume on liquids. (notet that this is the opposite advice I would give to someone trying to lose weight).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

poing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    You sound like my wife. The bulletproof coffee is probably an even better idea for you then. Since it's much easier to over-consume on liquids. (note that this is the opposite advice I would give to someone trying to lose weight).
    I usually start my day with an espresso in some frothed milk. In fact, I had two coffees on that day, one at breakfast, one at lunch as consolation. I normally stop at one because I'm unusually sensitive to caffeine. I don't take sugar, but I need the milk because like my coffee to be mellow. I'm open to the idea of bulletproof coffee but wouldn't it taste strong? In any case, I'm doubtful that I could actually make it... my attempt at homemade mayo was a complete and total disaster.

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    I would like to live at Downton Abbey, have a lady's maid (a nice one), a butler and lots of cooks, dress up so fancy for dinner every day to go from my bedroom to my dining hall, candle lit, civilized company dressed smartly, and Exquisite Dinner

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    I have this problem, last night we took our daughter trick-or-treating downtown, and headed home past dinner time. We only have a few "safe" restaurants in town, and none of them were appealing to us. I consider a real gluten free menu safe as it gets, my daughter is also very gluten intolerant and gets dermatitis herpetiformis (the Celiac rash) when she eats gluten. Our choices are a great pizzeria that uses a locally made GF crust and farm-to-table toppings, Outback, Shane's Rib Shack, a Japanese/sushi place that is iffy (one waitress is knowledgeable), and a couple of high end, $$$ date night restaurants. After debating and passing places by, we hit the point of no return and just came home. I seared some cube steaks and made a pan sauce with mushrooms, onions, worcestershire, and raw cream. Sure, we didn't eat until 8pm, but it was way better than waiting that long to eat at Outback and then getting sick because the cook trained on the GF menu wasn't working that night.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123