Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Oats page 12

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't see a lot of people shoving 3.8 tablespoons of butter into their mouths and calling it a meal. What if we compare oats to something realistic, like eggs, or ground beef. And those also have the added benefit of not often being brought up as foods that cause bloat and distress.

Oats and honey make a nice facial mask - it stays on better than ground beef. So, in that sense oats would be superior.

No skin off anyone's nose what anyone else eats, but avoiding grains is a pretty big principle of Primal.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't see a lot of people shoving 3.8 tablespoons of butter into their mouths and calling it a meal. What if we compare oats to something realistic, like eggs, or ground beef. And those also have the added benefit of not often being brought up as foods that cause bloat and distress.

Oats and honey make a nice facial mask - it stays on better than ground beef. So, in that sense oats would be superior.

No skin off anyone's nose what anyone else eats, but avoiding grains is a pretty big principle of Primal.
    Yup.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    70% of calories from glucose is a good thing. Especially if you're trying to avoid the pitfalls of low carbohydrate diet.

380 calories of oats.

Thiamine (vit. B1) 0.763 mg (66%)
    Riboflavin (vit. B2) 0.139 mg (12%)
    Niacin (vit. B3) 0.961 mg (6%)
    Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.349 mg (27%)
    Folate (vit. B9) 56 μg (14%)
    Calcium 54 mg (5%)
    Iron 5 mg (38%)
    Magnesium 177 mg (50%)
    Manganese 4.9 mg (233%)
    Phosphorus 523 mg (75%)
    Potassium 429 mg (9%)
    Zinc 4 mg (42%)

684 μg (86%)
    Vitamin D 60 IU (10%)
    Vitamin E 2.32 mg (15%)

Good source of Thiamine which people are here often fall short on.

compared to 300 calories of butter which people seem to use pretty liberally around here.

684 μg (46%)
    Vitamin D 60 IU (5%)
    Vitamin E 2.32 mg (7%)\
    Vitamin K ?

Oats are heart healthy and contain significant sources of beta glucan which can help fight infection
    A phase II multicenter, double-blind, randomized, ... [Arch Surg. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
    And boost immune system function
    [The biological activity of beta-glucans]. [Minerva Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Immune recognition: A new receptor for [beta]-glucans : Abstract : Nature

They also reduce heart disease risk by lowering LDL and LDL-p.

Might be one of the reasons Mark puts beta glucan in his overpriced supplements.
    Hello,
    What is the point in comparing oats vs butter ???
    If I have to eat some say rolled oats (I always avoid being pushed against that "wall" ...), I cannot do it WITHOUT adding butter to it!!

Oats AND butter >>> oats OR butter.

Sometimes, my kids want rolled oats. I make sure I add plenty of grass-fed butter, honey, vanilla, and vitamin D. Regardless, they also have an egg or 2 and a banana.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Your point?
    Fat is an important carrier of vitamins and other nutrients. Plus it is vital for brain and cell health.
    There is no such thing as a essential carb but there are essential fats. And if you are looking for calories fat is the better choice hands down.
    For the inactive, sedentary office worker who does paleo, your probably right. As far as someone with a physical job, heavy exercise, or both, to say carbs are inessential is a product of clever marketing gimmicks.
    You'll eat your protein in abundance, but forget that probably most of that will convert to glucose.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Not particularly efficiently, though. I don't know about "most", either. That's circumstantial.

Most of the forum isn't low carb, but the low carb ones are pretty vocal. I think most of us here are closer to the sedentary office worker (me, for example), rather than the physically demanding job types.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Not particularly efficiently, though. I don't know about "most", either. That's circumstantial.

Most of the forum isn't low carb, but the low carb ones are pretty vocal. I think most of us here are closer to the sedentary office worker (me, for example), rather than the physically demanding job types.

M.
    The folks who answered this poll: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97141.html were mostly low carb. 45.1% chose "Primal including the carb curve," and 9.8% chose "Strict Paleo with no dairy."

The Primal Blue Print as written is a lower carb way of eating. If low carb followers seem vocal, it's because this is a Primal forum.

Let's say someone was following a 1200 calorie/day diet to cut weight. Every third day, this person eats out with friends and it's usually pizza and beer or some such, racking up about 2500 calories on those days s/he ate out. At the end of whatever time frame, s/he complains the weight just isn't coming off the way s/he thought it would. That's because in reality, s/he isn't really eating 1200 calories per day.

I see the health benefits from Primal the same way. If you think you're eating Primal, just because you no longer buy HFCS, but you're still eating 40%+ carbs, especially if you still think grains are healthy, you may be eating more healthfully than before, but it's not Primal. And if you don't see results in health/weight loss, it's because, like the calorie counter above, you were only commited "sort of."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    The folks who answered this poll: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97141.html were mostly low carb. 45.1% chose "Primal including the carb curve," and 9.8% chose "Strict Paleo with no dairy."

The Primal Blue Print as written is a lower carb way of eating. If low carb followers seem vocal, it's because this is a Primal forum.

Let's say someone was following a 1200 calorie/day diet to cut weight. Every third day, this person eats out with friends and it's usually pizza and beer or some such, racking up about 2500 calories on those days s/he ate out. At the end of whatever time frame, s/he complains the weight just isn't coming off the way s/he thought it would. That's because in reality, s/he isn't really eating 1200 calories per day.

I see the health benefits from Primal the same way. If you think you're eating Primal, just because you no longer buy HFCS, but you're still eating 40%+ carbs, especially if you still think grains are healthy, you may be eating more healthfully than before, but it's not Primal. And if you don't see results in health/weight loss, it's because, like the calorie counter above, you were only commited "sort of."
    but, 80/20. now please, for the love of all of us here, give it a rest.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Primal doesn't involve pizza??? I am out.

Oh wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    but, 80/20. now please, for the love of all of us here, give it a rest.
    Do I tell you what to post and how often?

80/20 is fine. Big honkin' bowls of grains aren't.

B*tch-lite

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Do I tell you what to post and how often?

80/20 is fine. Big honkin' bowls of grains aren't.
    your I-don't-get-it is showing. you should cover that up
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112