Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 120

Thread: Oats page 11

  1. #101
    APPLEGIRL's Avatar
    APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    178
    Can't eat them. They give me bloat and major carb crash. I actually do like them and like to bake with them, but no more. Not worth it. They are on the junk pile with the rest of the grain family.

    I made apple crisp with ground almonds and raisins and butter as a topping. It worked out really well, although it didn't have the crunch factor that oats had. But, no crash afterwards. Will be making it again for the holidays, as I don't do too many paleo desserts.

  2. #102
    Hotmail's Avatar
    Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    888
    Seems people who are gluten sensitive, are also sensitive to oats even if its gluten free..

    Dr. Griffin has seen a correlation that some Celiacs and those with a gluten sensitivity, can also have a secondary intolerance to “avenin” a protein intolerance found in oats. As a result, even if certified gluten-free oats are consumed a reaction can occur.
    Barbara Griffin, NMD, CNC, Certified Gluten Practitioner Offers Tips to Celiac Sufferers When Considering Adding Oats To Their Diet

  3. #103
    honeychip's Avatar
    honeychip is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    Can't eat them. They give me bloat and major carb crash. I actually do like them and like to bake with them, but no more. Not worth it. They are on the junk pile with the rest of the grain family.

    I made apple crisp with ground almonds and raisins and butter as a topping. It worked out really well, although it didn't have the crunch factor that oats had. But, no crash afterwards. Will be making it again for the holidays, as I don't do too many paleo desserts.
    What's the recipe please Applegirl :-))

  4. #104
    Paleo0731's Avatar
    Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    357
    I do a paleo "rice" pudding with chia seeds sometimes. Lots better than oatmeal.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    If you want to eat a low nutrition food that is simply 70+% sugar...go for it.
    Oats have plenty of nutrition. I could post dozens of studies on how oats are beneficial. And all they need is a spoonful of molasses and a banana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-o...#axzz2jKzwceYp

    Chocked full of anti-nutrient goodness!
    When I crave porridge I soak ground chia and raw sprouted hemp overnight then gently warm it up with apples and cinnamon... Perhaps a bit more primal/paleo and certainly more nutrient dense.
    You say they have anti nutrients and they eat chai and hemp? Firstly. not all antinutrients are bad. And if they were chai and hemp are way higher in them.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 11-18-2013 at 11:36 PM.

  6. #106
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftinglife View Post
    This post makes me wonder how many people know what this form is for/about?
    [/I]

    I hear ya....
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  7. #107
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Oats have plenty of nutrition. I could post dozens of studies on how oats are beneficial. And all they need is a spoonful of molasses and a banana.
    Take a look at the facts rather than high carb studies...they are a low nutrition food that are 70% glucose. They are only good when they are compared to other grains (even worse sources of nutrition...calorie for calorie they are VERY low on the nutrition scale and that is a fact.


    take a look at the nutrition score foe 100 cal of oats vs 100 cal of broccoli or any other veg and you will find oats are a sad sad sad source of nutrition.

    PS

    Please I dare you to to post ANY study that shows they are actually good for you in a non grain/sugar diet. BTW don't worry I won't be holding my breath because you and I both no they are not out there. A study that show eating oats is better in a grain based diet does not mean they are good for you, only that they are a more benign grain.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 11-18-2013 at 11:59 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  8. #108
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    If we're being honest with ourselves, butter and coconut oil are nothing more than empty fat calories.
    Your point?
    Fat is an important carrier of vitamins and other nutrients. Plus it is vital for brain and cell health.
    There is no such thing as a essential carb but there are essential fats. And if you are looking for calories fat is the better choice hands down.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  9. #109
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Reasons why I eat them, although they are not primal

    - Yes, they contain carbs, but the good slow ones
    - they contain about 15% protein/100g
    - a lot of fibre, keeps me fueld for hours
    -Vitamine B1,6, E - very good for all your nervous systems and cells
    - zinc, good for your skin
    -beta-glucol, fighting high cholesterol
    - cookes good for the stomach when you feel sick
    -calcium,manganese, phosphor,selenium, iron (teeth, bones, blood)
    - help raising testosterone by their contents
    -> better than almost any other grains
    What else can sportmen ask for??
    If you do not like the taste: roast them in a pan, look for recipes, with cinamon, coconutflakes, chia seeds, sesam,agave sirup...be creative
    I am not sure where to start
    The good slow ones???they are not good they just slow the sugar hit.
    15% protein in 100g???? That is by weight...that is 15g of protein in over 300 calories of sugar...that is a POOR source of protein.
    Fibre keeps you fueled??? Really? Most fibre is totally undigested....therefore there is no fuel at all
    They are high in those nutrients compared to other grains but very low when compared to veg.

    Really? Your argument on a PRIMAL site is that they are "better than almost any other grains" Guess what GRAINS ARE NOT PRIMAL
    Ow...there have been so many head desk moments it is getting very sad.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 11-18-2013 at 11:59 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    981
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Take a look at the facts rather than high carb studies...they are a low nutrition food that are 70% glucose. They are only good when they are compared to other grains (even worse sources of nutrition...calorie for calorie they are VERY low on the nutrition scale and that is a fact.


    take a look at the nutrition score foe 100 cal of oats vs 100 cal of broccoli or any other veg and you will find oats are a sad sad sad source of nutrition.

    PS

    Please I dare you to to post ANY study that shows they are actually good for you in a non grain/sugar diet. BTW don't worry I won't be holding my breath because you and I both no they are not out there. A study that show eating oats is better in a grain based diet does not mean they are good for you, only that they are a more benign grain.
    70% of calories from glucose is a good thing. Especially if you're trying to avoid the pitfalls of low carbohydrate diet.

    380 calories of oats.


    Thiamine (vit. B1) 0.763 mg (66%)
    Riboflavin (vit. B2) 0.139 mg (12%)
    Niacin (vit. B3) 0.961 mg (6%)
    Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.349 mg (27%)
    Folate (vit. B9) 56 μg (14%)
    Calcium 54 mg (5%)
    Iron 5 mg (38%)
    Magnesium 177 mg (50%)
    Manganese 4.9 mg (233%)
    Phosphorus 523 mg (75%)
    Potassium 429 mg (9%)
    Zinc 4 mg (42%)

    684 μg (86%)
    Vitamin D 60 IU (10%)
    Vitamin E 2.32 mg (15%)

    Good source of Thiamine which people are here often fall short on.

    compared to 300 calories of butter which people seem to use pretty liberally around here.

    684 μg (46%)
    Vitamin D 60 IU (5%)
    Vitamin E 2.32 mg (7%)\
    Vitamin K ?


    Oats are heart healthy and contain significant sources of beta glucan which can help fight infection
    A phase II multicenter, double-blind, randomized, ... [Arch Surg. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
    And boost immune system function
    [The biological activity of beta-glucans]. [Minerva Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Immune recognition: A new receptor for [beta]-glucans : Abstract : Nature


    They also reduce heart disease risk by lowering LDL and LDL-p.

    Might be one of the reasons Mark puts beta glucan in his overpriced supplements.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •