Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There and Back Again: A Blacksmith's Holiday. page

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member

There and Back Again: A Blacksmith's Holiday.

So, there I was Jan. 1 2009 weighing in at 250 lbs. I had issues with shoulder pain and stomach issues, sleep problems, cronic tiredness, irritability and general lack of fitness. I began a standard eat less exercise more weight loss and fitness plan. Within 6-7 months I had lost 60 lbs and was able to run 10 miles for fun. Still had pain but stomach problems had disappeared, slept a bit better, had more energy but was still cranky. I've never had bloodpressure or cholesterol problems.

By the end of the year I began to fall of the wagon, unfortunately I ate a fair portion of it trying to climb back on it.

The beginning of this year I was back to 240 lbs and not very fit. I was unable to get back on track for some time the finally I was able to begin again losing 10 lbs relatively quickly.

I found the Primal Blueprint while browsing a book store so I thouht I'd take a look. I liked it alot and and am currently reading it over again.

I started going Primal on April 3rd 2011 so I've been at it about 2 weeks with only one real bad slip up. (I have a thing for breakfast cereal.) I've had a few beers also but Grok can have those when he pries them from my cold dead hands. . I've lost another ten pounds and don't seem to be as tired midday.

I don't really miss grain much and love veggies and meat. I am lucky enough to have a bison farm close by and alot of locally grown produce in the summer. Also raw milk and fresh eggs (if i'm motivated enough to go get them.

I haven't done much exercise so far Some walking, bike riding and yard work but hope to get a better routine going.

My goal is as close to 100% primal as I can though I will certainly fall into the 90's and to drop about 10 lbs a month.

These 2 weeks have gone well and I've enjoyed primal eating so far. I hope to learn more about it and continue on.

That was my first attempt. More than 2 years ago.
    Disgusting really. What a waste of time.
    July 2013, 233lbs
    October 2013 198lbs

Lately weight is a bit stagnant along with motivation.
    I should find a good fat pic of myself to put up here or at home.

Hmm need to get my drive back
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Liftinglife is offline Senior Member
    How lucky to have bission, and farm fare near by!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there!

Also..find your signature quite amusing.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

1:42 am in the morning. Wtf am I doing awake, Besides reading other people's journals?

Well I've made 2 decisions. Number A) start counting calories in hopes of more steady weight loss, and 2) get up and go to the gym before work as I won't be able to in the evening and last night I didn't get my lazy ass there.

I'm thinking of using MyFitnessPal which says if I want to loose 2 lbs a week I should eat just under 1500 calories. Seems a bit light but I'll give it a shot.

Going back to sleep. Well more likely lay in bed and doze.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, Blacksmith with your Primal ventures.

I found out after a weekend on non-primal that I couldn't live without out it. Never felt so bad on a carb/wheat diet before but it brought me running back to Primal after the weekend was over.

1500kcal is not very much, make sure you don't go hungry, it will only make you feel worse. It's preferable to eat more and move more.

Sleep well!!!
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya Blacksmith nothing to offer but my support

Ok. Up at 4 am. Made the gym by 5 am. Did some lifting , it's been a while and I'm a bit sore. Squats, bench press, back extensions and some triceps stuff, not at all any kind of program per se. Then did 30 mins on the elliptical for close to 4 miles at a fair resistance.

Breakfast:
    2 oz pork belly
    2 eggs
    5 oz homemade sauerkraut I made last week.
    Just over 500 cals.

Lunch:
    1 banana
    10 oz cašiola (Portuguese pulled pork also homemade)
    3 oz salt cod in olive oil.
    500 cals.

Dinner:
    8oz beef heart
    5 oz sauerkraut
    300 cals

1 Banana before bed puts my just around 1500 cal. I also had 2 coffees with cream today.

I hate calorie counting, though lately I think I've been eating nearly 2x that a day. My portion sizes are way bigger than the ones listed. It'll work when I'm ready to maintain weight.

Almost 100 % primal. I had some spicy Thai chili sauce with sugar in it on the pork belly and beef heart.

Unfortunately my homemade dill pickle ferment failed. I think my dill had some mold on it( not a euphemism for anything) and had a chlorine taste though my water was filtered. Have to try store bought water, better dill, more salt and garlic.

I should be in bed early as groklettes are home so no gym for the next few days. I'll have to do some body weight resistance stuff.

2am awake again. Toy in daughters room decided to randomly start squawking.

I think I'm becoming 2 sleep a night person. I read about that some where. I don't like it. Though I went and turned the heat off. That was sort of constructive.

Hmm. Breakfast probably more pork belly and eggs, still 3 hours away though.

I should go back to sleep, or dozing at any rate.

WTF! I can't stop eating. The last 2 days I've eaten every possible bit if crap I can shove in my face.

I need to rein my shit in. Don't want to stand on the scale. It'll be scary.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Hmm.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey blacksmith. I think the reason behind your binges is:
    1. You aren't eating enough calories. (1500 cals is wayy too low for someone over 200lbs... I weight 170ish and only work out 3x a week and I eat 1900-2000 on average to lose weight.) you shouldn't eat below your BMR or else your body goes into starvation mode, leptons rise, signaling you to eat eat eat.
    2. And/or You aren't eating the right macros for your body to be satiated.

Sorry for the unwarranted advice if you don't want it... I just have been there and know the frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast