Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any supplements that can curb sugar cravings while "restarting"? page

UpErMei is offline Member

Question Are there any supplements that can curb sugar cravings while "restarting"?

Primal Fuel
    I am back after a 3 year hiatus. My main issue is that I'm a big-time emotional eater and crave sweets whenever I'm stressed. Unfortunately, I'm under a tremendous amount of stress lately!

I know that ketosis will help greatly with the cravings. I haven't begun yet...guess I should start now! I'm just wondering if there is any supplement that I could take for the first 2-3 weeks that would help with cravings.

Oh and I'm seeking ketosis since I'm about 20-30 lbs overfat. I'm plan to really watch my carbs and limit them to veggies, a little seeds (roasted pumkin), and fermented dairy (greek yogurt, homemade kefir). I know from experience that if I adhere to this type of eating, I feel great and do lose weight.

tia!

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I am unaware of any supplements that actually do so. However, it does seem like the combination of a cup of kefir and a tablespoon or two of potato starch curbs addictive cravings for some.

Giblets is offline Member
    Google for chromium picolinate. It doesn't work for everyone ... but I've heard good things from people who have really hard-to-beat sugar cravings.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

My diet? Very low carb to initially lose weight, then moderate carbs (the past 12 years) for effortless weight maintenance. For me, the "carb curve" works like a charm. Once a week or so, I eat only one meal during the day (at late evening), as sort of a mini-fast.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Just find a different addiction.

e.g.
    Dark Chocolate (I'm going nuts trying to find higher than Lindt 85%)
    Boiled Eggs
    Piece of Fruit
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    The focus should be on the cause of the addiction, not the symptoms.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    L-Glutamine powder. Mix into a small amount of orange juice or something, skull and in about 10 mins the craving is gone. Works for me anyhow
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

sra1984 is offline Member
    I'm an emotional eater too, and I just limit it to fruit. Can't go too overboard on fruit, your body really won't let you. Too full after a while, especially if you are eating your protein and getting adequate fats (which if you are eating your protein generally you are). Also, sweet potatoes are helpful.
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I second the l-glutamine suggestion. For me it works best, if mixed with a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream or coconut milk.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Try erythritol or xylitol. They cost much more so you are easy on them
    Erythritol is null metabolically, xylitol is different: it can be fermented by good bacteria for butyrate production in the large intestine. Not all of it goes all the way down though, about half is digested by you and turned into glucose ini the liver at a slow rate (thus a low glycemic index if that matters to you). It has the same taste as regular sugar but a little more cooling in the mouth. Your teeth will like it too

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    How about a whey protein shake. This kills my appetite for anything.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast