Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dr Oz Show - Carbs cause Alzheimer's page 4

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Type II yes. Improving insulin sensitivity and coming of medications has been reported for decades on low fat high carb dating back to Pritikins early studies.
    There are posters on the McDougall forums who have put their Type 2 DM into remission and are off all meds after following that strict vegan diet--which centers on starches and allows no additional oils (the small amounts of fat allowed come from nuts and avos).

I did McDougall (or at least his diet) long, long ago, and it drove me nuts because no matter how much I ate I was never satisfied, and to avoid the blood sugar roller-coaster I had to eat 6-8 times a day. I am infinitely happier and healthier as a keto-adapted, carb-shunning critter, and yeah, that's going to be what I recommend to other people with metabolic issues. But I can't ignore the fact that there are people doing the exact opposite of what works for me--and it's working for them. I don't have the science background to figure out why, but it is. So I can't just write it off as vegan quackery, even though life as a fat-free sugar-burner didn't work for me. For the folks who have a truly lousy time of it on low-carb, it may be a perfectly viable option.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    McDougall is one of the crazies, no basis at all for his recommendations.

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    McDougall is one of the crazies, no basis at all for his recommendations.
    Yeah, he's not somebody I'd want to take health advice from (as first I learned during my long-ago vegan phase). That he's an MD doesn't stop him from being a crank, and a petty, ill-tempered one at that. Some of the stuff he says (and that his followers defend) is so far off base and so wrong it's all I can do not to slam my phone/laptop down while shouting, "WHAT!" repeatedly at the top of my lungs. At the same time, I admit it's weirdly entertaining in a trainwrecky, reality-defying way. I read the 30BAD forums and conspiracy theorists for the same reason.

That said, the best explanation I can come up with for why anyone improves on a diet like McDougall's is that they aren't eating loads of refined sugars and PUFAs. Remove the worst shit from your diet, and things do tend to improve, at least for a while. If diabetics are eating a lot of low-GI vegetables, that could do it, too. Weight loss from calorie restriction doesn't hurt, either. So I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised that going strict low-fat vegan can work for some T2 diabetics. But long term? I admit I'd like to see how those same low-fat vegan diabetics are doing with their successful blood sugar control (among other health issues) 5-10 years (or more) down the road.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Selecting View Post
    Robb Wolf had this guy on his podcast a few weeks ago. I didn't listen to whole thing because it was kind of long, but towards the end Robb mentioned that he feels like his performance really suffers in Brazilian Ju-jitsu when plays with lower-carb intakes, and because of that he always makes sure to have sweet potatoes after training. Dr. Perlmutter's response to this was pretty much that consuming any carbs after exercise has a negative effect because it inhibits "keto-adaptation".

Apparently this approach has generally worked great for all the "high-end" athletes that Dr. Perlmutter has worked with (I kind of have to assume he hasn't worked with any actual high-end athletes). Although you're generally going to have less total glycogen stored when you're in ketosis, if you use some of it, it will still be eventually repleted. There's no way around that. The idea that after using x amount of glycogen, relying on gluconeogenesis to replenish the glycogen is superior instead of going straight to carbohydrates is completely senseless and unnecessarily stressful for your body.

He also said that measuring your morning urine for ketones is a good way to know if you're in ketosis. The fact that this guy didn't acknowledge at all how inferior (actually make that useless) testing urinary ketone excretion (as opposed to serum blood) is shocking. Just about all I could think when listening to this guy talk was "plz stahp".

He also used Peter Attia as an example of being being athletically "keto-adapted". Completely disregarding how much more glycolitically demanding Brazilian Ju-jitsu is than the endurance exercise that I believe Peter generally partakes in. Plus, just a little more than two months ago Peter Attia wrote a blogpost about how exercising allows him to create a glycogen deficit so he can consume more carbs than usual while maintaining ketosis. In that post he cites an example where he consumed slightly over 300 grams of carbs in a day when he went for a very intense 6-hour bike ride and was still in ketosis the next day. Still no post-workout sweet potatoes for Robb to replenish glycogen, apparently, though.

I don't mind it too much when someone is ignorant about something and they admit it -- but to be this ignorant and so strongly opinionated is insanity.

Advocating people that people who do very intense exercise to eat very low-carb is more or less is the definition of low-carb zealotry. I think plenty of people can (or should be able to) eat carbs all day everyday, but the post-exercise period is uniquely well suited for that either way.

If Dr. Perlmutter or any other practitioner with a similar approach is having genuine success treating Alzheimer's, epilepsy, certain forms of cancer etc. then I'm clearly happy for those patients that are responding well (whatever percentage that may be of their total patients). That said, inferring that everyone has to eat that kind of a diet to supposedly prevent these diseases is craaaazy. What's also odd that Dr. Perlmutter apparently advises for "regular people" to consume 60-80 grams of carbs per day, which isn't likely to result in many ketones being produced at all. Really strange advice.

Dr. Perlmutter claims that all he is suggesting is for us to be "powering the human body in a way that it has always been powered for more than 99% of the time we've been here". Seriously delusional, this guy is.

(Yeah, I didn't watch the video you linked because it's by Dr. Oz, so apologies if I went too off-topic.)

I actually did listen to the whole pod cast and found it very interesting and a lot of it made sense, however, that whole crack about no sweet potatoes after exercise really got me thinking too. I cannot live without ANY carbs at all, as I wouldn't have energy either just like Robb mentioned. There is a time and a place for healthy carbohydrates, and sweet potatoes are included in this equation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234