Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr Oz Show - Carbs cause Alzheimer's page 2

Selecting is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Last time I checked Dr Oz was still riding the whole grain wagon. So he now hates carbs, wow lets pay attention! Its not like his show is a holy grail of pseudo science!
    There is this term in German called "Volksverblödung", which roughly translates to making the folk less intelligent. That is the first thing that comes to mind when I think Dr. Oz.

youtacolot is offline Member
    Check out Robb Wolf's twitter rant Sept. 20 after the podcast came out. A listener got all worried about her carbs and he admonished her to do her own thinking. The zero tolerance for carbs stance is likely the result of the doc effectively using ketosis as a tool to reverse brain disease for many years. I loved the podcast, but Selecting makes some great (and troubling) points above. I was very surprised when he suggested Robb give up his sweet potato and get fully keto-adapted. Robb talks about this a little more in episode 203? with Kiefer of carb backloading fame.

juliegee is offline Junior Member
    Dr. Perlmutter has a long list of credentials, but he is first and foremost an integrative neurologist, who specializes in preventing neurodegenerative disorders, like Alzheimer's. As an APOE e4/e4 patient, I've been following some of the media blitz surrounding his new book "Grain Brain" and agree he tends to underestimate his audience and unnecessarily dumb down his message. I would be careful about assuming that he, is therefore "dumb." A good example is ketostix vs. serum testing. Yes, we all know which is more precise, but ketostix make a fine starting place for the uninitiated.

Selecting makes some good points, but is a little mixed up on the Robb Wolfe podcast. Rob is the one who defends the carb backloading ala Peter Attia. Yes, Dr. Perlmutter prefers keto-adaptation (there's certainly room for controversy there,) but as Selecting wisely points out, he doesn't specialize in advising "elite athletes" like Robb, but rather in preventing brain diseases.

If Dr. Perlmutter can turn around a "knucklehead like Dr. Oz, he must be doing something right Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer's! | DietDoctor.com

I also saw and purchased a few of mark Sisson's books in Dr. Perlmutter's office when I began my version of the Primal Diet eight months ago. Dr. Perlmutter fully supports the a Primal way of eating and is having great success with his patients. And, YES, there is plenty of research to suggest that a low carb diet can prevent heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's. New research comes out daily: High blood sugar makes Alzheimer’s plaque more toxic to the brain

As a newbie poster (long time reader), I probably have no right to make this observation, forgive me in advance ; but it certainly seems as if a very vocal minority is overtaking Mark Sisson's message- at least in the forum.
    Last edited by juliegee; 10-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juliegee View Post
    Dr. Perlmutter has a long list of credentials, but he is first and foremost an integrative neurologist, who specializes in preventing neurodegenerative disorders, like Alzheimer's. As an APOE e4/e4 patient, I've been following some of the media blitz surrounding his new book "Grain Brain" and agree he tends to underestimate his audience and unnecessarily dumb down his message. I would be careful about assuming that he, is therefore "dumb." A good example is ketostix vs. serum testing. Yes, we all know which is more precise, but ketostix make a fine starting place for the uninitiated.

Selecting makes some good points, but is a little mixed up on the Robb Wolfe podcast. Rob is the one who defends the carb backloading ala Peter Attia. Yes, Dr. Perlmutter prefers keto-adaptation (there's certainly room for controversy there,) but as Selecting wisely points out, he doesn't specialize in advising "elite athletes" like Robb, but rather in preventing brain diseases.

If Dr. Perlmutter can turn around a "knucklehead like Dr. Oz, he must be doing something right Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer's! | DietDoctor.com

I also saw and purchased a few of mark Sisson's books in Dr. Perlmutter's office when I began my version of the Primal Diet eight months ago. Dr. Perlmutter fully supports the a Primal way of eating and is having great success with his patients. And, YES, there is plenty of research to suggest that a low carb diet can prevent heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's. New research comes out daily: High blood sugar makes Alzheimer’s plaque more toxic to the brain

As a newbie poster (long time reader), I probably have no right to make this observation, forgive me in advance ; but it certainly seems as if a very vocal minority is overtaking Mark Sisson's message- at least in the forum.
    +1

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I tend to stay high-level on these topics...

Isn't the current thinking that Alzheimer's is a member of the metabolic syndrome cluster, and is really just diabetes of the brain? I don't have time to read this guy's book, and don't know if he's a wacko, but what he said seemed sane.

Yeah Oz had Taubes on before and was incredibly antagonistic. What's curious is that in this video he seems quite friendly to the paleo theory. Guess it's all politics and industry, today's it's "eat butter", tomorrow it'll be something new to keep the masses entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I tend to stay high-level on these topics...

Isn't the current thinking that Alzheimer's is a member of the metabolic syndrome cluster, and is really just diabetes of the brain? I don't have time to read this guy's book, and don't know if he's a wacko, but what he said seemed sane.
    From what researchers can currently glean, high glucose plays a PART in developing Alzheimer's, but the etiology appears to be very multifactorial. Inflammation and even viruses, like HSV1, are also implicated. The point, Dr. Perlmutter, wisely makes in his latest book, is that we ALL have control over this one causal factor. By reducing carb intake, we can all keep blood glucose and inflammation in check. For high risk patients like me, this is a must.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What very few people seem to understand is that the treatment for something is not necessarily the prevention. And if the treatment is to remove something, that something was not necessarily the cause.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What very few people seem to understand is that the treatment for something is not necessarily the prevention. And if the treatment is to remove something, that something was not necessarily the cause.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    FWIW, there IS no treatment for Alzheimer's Disease.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juliegee View Post
    And, YES, there is plenty of research to suggest that a low carb diet can prevent heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's. New research comes out daily: High blood sugar makes Alzheimer’s plaque more toxic to the brain
    I don't have access to the full study, so I'm basing this off the journal summary. AD=Alzheimer's Disease

1. Study was done on rats, so there is some issue of applicability to humans (though I believe rats are good models for AD)
    2. The study used vascular cells which represent only a part of AD pathology
    3. The study was performed over 24 hours of continuous hyperglycaemic conditions
    4. Without the presence of AB1 hyperglycaemic conditions did not affect the cells
    5. Diabetic rats had a stronger susceptibility to vascular damage

What the study may suggest is that if you have beta amyloid peptide in your brain, then high blood glucose (i.e. hyperglycaemia) may accelerate AD. Thus lowering blood glucose may slow the progression of the disease, in which case a low carb diet could be helpful.Thus this study has no relevance to normal, healthy humans and therefore has no implications for a low carb diet. It says nothing about curing the disease (there is no cure).

There is nothing here about preventing AD. Since we do not know the route cause of amyloid beta plaques and peptides
    Last edited by AMonkey; 10-30-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast