Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any pointers on fermented foods? page

Owen is online now Senior Member

Any pointers on fermented foods?

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks, I am getting some serious cravings for full fat greek yoghurt, I am wondering if it might be happening because I need to get a range of fermented foods inside me. Aside form yoghurt, I don't know where to start. I've heard of kombucha but fear I might need a passport handy to get to the nearest source of it. Not a huge fan of cheese. Just bought some sauerkraut which is a start.

I'm 12 months in to a primal diet and this yoghurt craving thing is a bit of a curveball for me. I am trying to find a source of raw milk yoghurt, if there is such a thing, I'm not even sure?

Cheers,

Owen

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    There's also miso if you can get your hand on it, and kimchi. Raw milk yogurt might be pretty hard to find, but I don't think regular Greek yogurt is bad at all. It's pretty hard to find full fat though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    You can make your own kefir from grains at home - much easier than yoghourt, though the taste is stronger and sharper. And you can always just buy some full fat Greek yoghourt - at least that's relatively easy to find here.

Raw milk... hah, good luck with that. It's available from Organic Food UK, HOME or Home . (If you can get cream from Hurdlebrook in spring, you will be ruined forever for anything else. Amazing stuff.) Get expert advice before trying to make yoghourt with it, though - it's not half as easy as with pasteurised milk.

Hoping someone else will know about sauerkraut and the like...?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Is there a locavore group you can be a part of where you are? We just gave somebody a kombucha starter that lives in our town who contacted us through facebook.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Look up recipes for simple appetizer condiments like chutney, giardiniera, curtido, etc. Very cheap ingredients.

For dairy there's also (quality) skyr, quark, creme fraiche, buttermilk, etc. Raw is lovely but the only form I can find is cheese.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

huntin_mama is offline Junior Member
    If its the probiotics your after, look into kefir. You can make it a milk, coconut or water version. Not 100% paleo but might be what your craving.
    http://http://chriskresser.com/kefir...aleo-superfood

Also some store bought sauerkraut is pasteurized and doesn't have as much live bacteria and they usually have some preservatives added as well. Try making some. It's very easy an is worth the wait.

huntin_mama is offline Junior Member

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if raw milk yogurt is possible.
    My understanding is milk needs to be pasteurised so that it is only the yogurt cultures growing & no bad bugs.
    I've had similar experiences with milk kifer.
    Anyone else?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    I don't know if raw milk yogurt is possible.
    My understanding is milk needs to be pasteurised so that it is only the yogurt cultures growing & no bad bugs.
    I've had similar experiences with milk kifer.
    Anyone else?

For raw milk you can just let it sour for 12-24 hours. The bacteria inherent to raw milk keep the "bad bugs" out. I will sometimes pour a glass the night before and let it sit on the counter to be drunk in the morning.

You can do it for yogurt... just make sure you only heat it to the level for fermentation 90-100 degrees.

Raw milk doesn't actually go bad the way pasteurized stuff does...its the pasteurized stuff that allows for inoculation with bad bugs.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast