Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to add oils in your diet? page

JULIEQUICKrunner is offline Senior Member

Is it necessary to add oils in your diet?

Shop Now
    I am trying not use any oils or butter while cooking and am not adding any to my salad. I eat steak, chorizo sausage, avocado, eggs, cheese, and a fish oil supplement. I make potatoes in the microwave and eat them dry. Is this ok or will my skin and hair start to suffer?

no it isn't necessary, as long as you are eating adequate fat from other sources (which it seems like you are) but why would anyone choke down dry salads or dry microwaved potatoes. perhaps a cooking lesson or 2 should be in your future?

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Is there a reason you're not adding oils to your cooking? They taste so good....

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    no it isn't necessary, as long as you are eating adequate fat from other sources (which it seems like you are) but why would anyone choke down dry salads or dry microwaved potatoes. perhaps a cooking lesson or 2 should be in your future?
    I screwed myself up VLCing for so long. It got me down to a low weight but now I need to figure out how to stay low while adding tons of carbs back in. You would be seriously shocked how delicious I can make things without oil!

Haha... I need a cooking lesson? If you only knew.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    As long as you're getting enough fat in your diet, I don't think it's necessary to add any more. I lean more towards a vegetable-based version of primal and it's lower far than most people eat on here, but I feel fine. My body seems to prefer it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    I screwed myself up VLCing for so long. It got me down to a low weight but now I need to figure out how to stay low while adding tons of carbs back in. You would be seriously shocked how delicious I can make things without oil!

Haha... I need a cooking lesson? If you only knew.
    Dry salads and dry microwaved potatoes are enough information for me to know. I wouldn't feed bland nonsense like that to my dogs. You can eat carbs and fat. Not necessary to avoid fat bc you are eating carbs now. Why is everyone on this site an all or nothing personality?

Personally, I am a big carb eater and I eat plenty of fat as well. But I see no reason to ever overdo it to one extreme or the other. There is something to be said about relatively balanced macros. If you are worried about consuming too much fat in one sitting, perhaps butter/sour cream on the potato and eat a lean cut of meat with it?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Dry salads and dry microwaved potatoes are enough information for me to know. I wouldn't feed bland nonsense like that to my dogs. You can eat carbs and fat. Not necessary to avoid fat bc you are eating carbs now. Why is everyone on this site an all or nothing personality?
    You are wrong. If she puts butter on the potato, it becomes a "Bulletproof potato" and the Ray Peat people will lose their minds.

Dry salads and dry microwaved potatoes are enough information for me to know. I wouldn't feed bland nonsense like that to my dogs.
    Hilarious.

There is something to be said about relatively balanced macros. If you are worried about consuming too much fat in one sitting, perhaps butter/sour cream on the potato and eat a lean cut of meat with it?
    This makes sense and yeah I'm trying to find my way. But I cannot just add carbs into my diet and expect to stay the same weight. I seriously feel like I'm not missing out with not adding oils in. My macros are pretty balanced just with the items I mentioned. I don't eat as plainly as it sounds. For breakfast after a long run in the cold, I've been making chorizo sausage and fry the sweet potatoes (hashbrown style) in the juice from the sausage. So fried sweet potatoes, topped with chorizo, topped with sunny side up eggs. My salads are covered in balsamic vinegar and gorgonzola cheese - do not even know the oil is not there.

It is insanely good. But something's gotta give!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You are wrong. If she puts butter on the potato, it becomes a "Bulletproof potato" and the Ray Peat people will lose their minds.
    Nuh ah, Ray Peat says to eat lots of butter on potatoes, actually!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oils and butters are in general overrated in the primal community, but they are good to help putting on some weight if very skinny...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast