Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to add oils in your diet? page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Nuh ah, Ray Peat says to eat lots of butter on potatoes, actually!
    Smiley face is kind of like saying "all due respect." It means I can say anything I want without fear of reproach.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post

This makes sense and yeah I'm trying to find my way. But I cannot just add carbs into my diet and expect to stay the same weight. I seriously feel like I'm not missing out with not adding oils in. My macros are pretty balanced just with the items I mentioned. I don't eat as plainly as it sounds. For breakfast after a long run in the cold, I've been making chorizo sausage and fry the sweet potatoes (hashbrown style) in the juice from the sausage. So fried sweet potatoes, topped with chorizo, topped with sunny side up eggs. My salads are covered in balsamic vinegar and gorgonzola cheese - do not even know the oil is not there.

It is insanely good. But something's gotta give!
    I hope you aren't intentionally asking dumb questions just to get attention. Sweet potatoes sautéed in chorizo fat are a bit different than dry microwaved potatoes. And salads full of cheese are different than dry salads. If you eat those things, then you are probably ok.

Also, the idea of weight gain from adding carbs back in is silly. Sure you gain "weight" but unless you are overdoing calories, you aren't gaining fat. It is water weight. A number on a scale is a terrible way to judge progress anyway. Ultimately, everyone has to find a balance of what works for them.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You are wrong. If she puts butter on the potato, it becomes a "Bulletproof potato" and the Ray Peat people will lose their minds.
    As long as it's bulletproof, it's still fasting. Just remember that. Lol
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm frugal.... or maybe just a tight wad. Personally I cook my fatty meat first then just throw what I'm gonna be eating with that meat in the same pan (i.e. in the fat from my cooked meat) to cook..... that could be veggies, squash, starch.... whatever. It always turns out excellent and I don't have to spend one extra penny or pour any extra oil on it and I'm still a high fat guy. I use lots of EVOO on salad cause I must (bacon grease can work.... but not all fat makes a good salad topper). I use little butter and less coconut oil. My wife on the otherhand likes to "bake paleo" and goes through a literal ton of the stuff when its her day to cook.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    All depends on how much fat you need and how much is stripped from your food. A lean steak is not exactly natural, but neither is pouring butter onto fish and rice.
    I tend to use butters and oils as supplements: if I'm having very lean meat, I will use them. If not, I won't. For example, today I had plenty of cured meats, but also had about 700g of very lean roast beef. So I added 50g of butter to it, to balance it out a bit. If the beef had fat, I would have just ate the fattier cuts.

Seeing as you're eating your meats with the fat nature intended, it's unlikely that more is strictly necessary and it could even be harmful.
    Stick to what you're doing, if it works.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Also, the idea of weight gain from adding carbs back in is silly. Sure you gain "weight" but unless you are overdoing calories, you aren't gaining fat. It is water weight. A number on a scale is a terrible way to judge progress anyway. Ultimately, everyone has to find a balance of what works for them.
    Of course, a legitimate worry about carb-weight is when the added water and inflammation causes lethargy and joint and menstrual pains, stopping you from keeping active and feeling well, yet the insulin spikes and generally feeling crappy make you want to eat more and more (especially fast-release sugars).
    If you're not well adapted to high carbs (especially high starch and even moreso high fast-release starch), then that water weight and bloating could be a warning of further problems to come. Therefore, the concern is validated.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Personally, I am a big carb eater and I eat plenty of fat as well. But I see no reason to ever overdo it to one extreme or the other. There is something to be said about relatively balanced macros.
    Balanced macros for someone as active as you isn't really high carb, nor is it out of line with PB carbohydrate curve recommendations. I'd definitely agree that you're not afraid of carbs or starches, but it isn't like you're eating skinless chicken breast with a plate full of starch most of the time. It's funny when people disagree simply because they define the terms differently.

Liftinglife is offline Senior Member
    no it isn't necessary, as long as you are eating adequate fat from other sources (which it seems like you are) but why would anyone choke down dry salads or dry microwaved potatoes. perhaps a cooking lesson or 2 should be in your future?
    Exactly, oils make great seasoning but not needed

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    I hope you aren't intentionally asking dumb questions just to get attention. Sweet potatoes sautéed in chorizo fat are a bit different than dry microwaved potatoes. And salads full of cheese are different than dry salads. If you eat those things, then you are probably ok.

If you really read my original post you'd see I clearly stated that I eat all these fatty food items. I mostly eat my potatoes dry but occasionally cook together. Does it make a difference whether the meat and potatoes are heated in the same pan or heated in my belly? Example - steak w/dry potato OR potatoes cooked in sausage drippings. Also I never used the term "dry salad".

Thanks everyone for being incredibly gracious when answering my "dumb question". Your responses have been a real eye opener!
    Last edited by JulieRUNS; 10-29-2013 at 06:56 PM.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I feel like the term "adding" sounds like you would eat more oils and fats above what you use for cooking. If you are cooking use butter etc and don't skimp on it. Obviously don't drench a potato in olive oil though.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast