Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's worse the vegans or us? page 4

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Sweet, sweet meat-fog!
    Just to be clear, I've already patented/trademarked Meat Fog™.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Sweet, sweet meat-fog!
    I put mrs rug in to a meat-fog last night. oh wait, wrong thread....
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Just my own personal observation, but I see a lot of veggie/vegans in the gay community comprised of folks that were raised in a traditional religious family (usually some flavor of Christian) but who have turned away from their childhood faith. My theory is that the veganism essentially becomes a replacement religion, not just a belief system. Safe the world, go veg! etc.

I recently replied to a post on The Facebook where a guy I'd hung out with in Prague (read: fooled around with) had posted about how he hated when he saw meat being described as "humanely raised" and was going to make a chapter in his thesis about the hypocrisy of it. After some back and forth, I said essentially hey why don't we find some common ground here, we are both against factory farms. His boyfriend chimed in about how he didn't need to come to any common ground about rape or murder, it was just wrong period in all cases end of story. My reply was pretty lengthy and I waxed on about a vision where those awful corn/soy/wheat fields that stretch across our country could be replaced with prairie land filled with happy grass fed critters. It was at this point I got the dreaded block. Now granted, it may had something to do with explaining to the BF "how do you know this guy exactly?" but ... I think it might be something else. He had a few friends say something like "hey love ya man, but I love bacon too!" and didn't get the kabosh.

The difference between me and the "but I love bacon" friend is that ostensibly the bacon loving friend was acquiescing to his belief system. Yes, I know meat is bad for me, but I just love it! There has been a systematic, methodical and relentless push by the veggie true believers to get people to believe that meat isn't healthy for them or good for the environment, much like the Christians have pushed for centuries their belief system such that people that don't necessarily call themselves still believe in "God" and "heaven" and whatnot as if it was actually true. So the typical SAD eater munching down on his Big Mac, Fries and a Coke who will "admit" that vegetarianism would be healthier for him but just doesn't care is akin to the guy watching football on Sunday who knows "he should go to church" but doesn't. These "backsliding" folks aren't perceived as that much of a threat because despite not adhering to the "religion" they still ostensibly believe that it's true.

Enter into the mix the Paleos. Who also believe that THEIR way will improve your health, is the best for the environment and heck even kill less critters, excuse me "sentient beings". And their way just happens to not just include but have as a central component doing the worst thing you could do if you are a veggie adherent: eat meat. But unlike the backsliding SAD eater who has bought into their paradigm, the Paleo folks believe that the Worst Thing Ever is actually GOOD. We've become a rival sect or belief system that claims the same goals but has a radically different way of getting there.

If history has taught us anything, it's that two groups that believe something REALLY STRONGLY, even if they have more commonalities than differences, they are gonna fight each other!

Anyway, my (evolving) thoughts. Slightly eschew of the topic but thought it might give folks something to ruminate.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Paleo= Satan Worshipers!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    The Ann Coulter school of reasoning. Love it.

I didn't say Christianity (or the Abrahamic religions in general) supported veganism. I suggested that people who are less influenced by reason might be drawn to both religion and veganism. Quoting Genesis doesn't refute that.
    Or maybe my post already answered that?

lol atheists and reason, this is a fantastic laugh. There is no common consensus among even their own group, with many divided groups, such as; practical, positive and negative, theoretical, etc. Given that, they are discouraged from looking for deeper root causes of conflicts when they assume that religion is the sole root of the problem. Sounds like another religion based on feelings to me.

Atheists have a false sense of intellectualism for those uneducated masses who are too lazy to study anything or read a book thicker than 100 pages. For most atheists the process of acquiring knowledge is very passive. By saying passive I mean that they aren't really seeking knowledge; they expect it to come to them just by itself. They mostly see things that are in favor "for" the theory, but then forget things " against " theory, forming their beliefs promiscuously. I'm glad I grew out of it. This is how they give themselves intellectual superiority "LOL YOU BELIEVE IN SOME GUY IN THE SKY AND A FAIRY TALE YOURE STUPID". I have never met one rational or intelligent atheist in person. They're all the same, most reference Dawkins, who has a stale argument that never changes.

I ask this of you; prove God doesn't exist. If you can't do that, yours is nothing more than faith, a faith in man, and another religion from which your institution lambasts frequently.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 10-31-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I ask this of you; prove God doesn't exist. If you can't do that, yours is nothing more than faith, a faith in man, and another religion from which your institution lambasts frequently.
    I thought you were smarter than this.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I thought you were smarter than this.
    I am always between "certain", and "searching". I'm not religious, nor a practitioner of any sort of group think. This allows me to remain open, and see both arguments as I argue them with myself more often than not. I see the current trend of atheism as an amoral nihilistic plague on modern society, which I can't deny. In the atheists mind, religion is the sole cause of problems, while forgetting that their worship of law and government is essentially the same thing, yet even more absurd.

Example: Marx and Lenin
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    In the atheists mind, religion is the sole cause of problems, while forgetting that their worship of law and government is essentially the same thing, yet even more absurd.
    Not in this atheist's mind. We're not all Sam Harris. And lack of belief in spectacular or fantastic claims can't be accurately described as "faith."

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    When discussing religion with theists they often think that I am an atheist, and when discussing with atheists they think that I am a theist! Discursive reasoning is too difficult for most people, so they usually fall into a category they think is safe and stay there…

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    When discussing religion with theists they often think that I am an atheist, and when discussing with atheists they think that I am a theist! Discursive reasoning is too difficult for most people, so they usually fall into a category they think is safe and stay there…
    Replace religion with any topic and I'm in the same boat. Quick labeling and categorizing is too often the easy way out. It's very difficult to have a meaningful conversation on most topics as a person with an agnostic mind.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast