Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's worse — the vegans or us? page 3

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Going back to the OPs point about how we react to the disabled, it seems pretty common that people who clearly have some issue such as schizophrenia are not generally handled as unwell people on the interwebs. In real life, a few times a year I am in charge of a place where the public comes through and it astounds me how the the otherwise educated staff gets riled up by autistic customers. They somehow think autistic behavior is "rudeness" purposefully directed at them personally.

Of course, a Paleo group is more likely to include those who mock the afflicted in all forms, because it is more likely to attract a more isolationist sort of person. I don't imagine there are many Ayn Rand readers on the vegan boards- veganism tends include a more communitarian world view. This has nothing to do with science- both isolationists and communitarian scan adequately use science to support their world view. And the fact that they can means one would do well not to become dogmatically attached to any point along the spectrum.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    How far does one defend the Paleo position against each and every attack? Even attacks from the (obviously) weak?
    I don't bother defending Paleo/Primal, any more than I bother defending my atheism. Sometimes I'll correct clearly erroneous facts, but beyond that I see no reason to try defending it against those who are determined to be hostile. Why are they so fearful and angry that they have to lash out and berate me for my choices? Beats me. But I receive no benefit from getting angry in response, and rising to their bait only gives them fuel for their own fear- and anger-driven sense of righteouness.

Eating LCHF Primal (combined with IF) works for me, but it's not the optimal choice for everybody. For some, my diet would be an outright terrible choice. And in the future, as I keep tinkering and experimenting, and my body changes, I might find myself needing a different macronutrient ratio, or I might benefit more by doing longer fasts once a week or month, rather than daily IF. What I do is not carved in stone, and does not have to be--it just has to meet my health needs right now.

There is no single way of eating/macro balance that is right for every single person. There is no One True Way to Dietary Heaven. There is nothing that needs defending from unbelievers. Anyone who is truly interested in P/P (or whole foods ketogenic diets) will explore those options for themselves. But those who need enemies to feel alive, and thus go on Internet crusades for their faith or their diet? Why should I even bother responding to that? I mean, really?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis67 View Post
    There is no single way of eating/macro balance that is right for every single person. There is no One True Way to Dietary Heaven. There is nothing that needs defending from unbelievers. Anyone who is truly interested in P/P (or whole foods ketogenic diets) will explore those options for themselves. But those who need enemies to feel alive, and thus go on Internet crusades for their faith or their diet? Why should I even bother responding to that? I mean, really?
    Why not? I always tries to take good care of my enemies, and peace is only the boring rest between wars! This is how I handle vegans:

"Your enemy shall ye seek; your war shall ye wage, and for the sake of your thoughts! And if your thoughts succumb, your uprightness shall still shout triumph thereby! Ye shall love peace as a means to new wars—and the short peace more than the long. You I advise not to work, but to fight. You I advise not to peace, but to victory. Let your work be a fight, let your peace be a victory! One can only be silent and sit peacefully when one hath arrow and bow; otherwise one prateth and quarrelleth. Let your peace be a victory! Ye say it is the good cause which halloweth even war? I say unto you: it is the good war which halloweth every cause."

(Also Sprach Zarathustra)

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Gorby: Ironically, that reminds me of Deuteronomy 7:5:

But thus shall ye deal with them; ye shall destroy their altars, and break down their images, and cut down their groves, and burn their graven images with fire.

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Why not? I always tries to take good care of my enemies, and peace is only the boring rest between wars! This is how I handle vegans:
    LOL. I don't see vegans as my enemy. After all, many of them cave in and binge on cheese or eggs every so often. They're omnivores, like us! They're just in denial about it.

Besides, I reserve the term "enemy" for someone who poses a genuine threat to my well-being. It's an honor to be my enemy; all others are just a damned nuisance. Someone wants to eat 30 bananas a day? Pfft--let 'em. They'll see how well that works, soon enough. I spent two years as a vegan myself when I was a young and angry critter; I got over that madness, and most of them will, too.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm sure there's a regional correlation as well. I was just implying that people who generally make decisions based on reason might be more inclined to Primal/Paleo than veganism, while people who generally make decisions based on faith and emotion might be more inclined to veganism than P/P. Therefore, a forum filled with vegans might be more predisposed to sympathizing with religious beliefs while a forum filled with us might be more predisposed to sympathizing with atheism. I could very well be wrong, but it would surprise me. I was just pointing out a flaw in Lewis's proposed experiment, not making a value judgment regarding anyone's beliefs (although I'd be happy to do so if anyone insists).
    This is ridiculous. Vegans are mostly liberals, liberals are mostly atheist if not always. Checkmate atheist. Christianity for a certainty does not equal vegetarian or veganism, and most religions are simply against cruelty of animals, not consumption of them for food. I know you want to make your amoral and tyrannical religion look cool, but at least learn the facts.

"God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: 'Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you shall rest on every animal of the earth, and on every bird of the air, on everything that creeps on the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; into your hand they are delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and just as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.' "

Genesis 9:1-3
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis67 View Post
    LOL. I don't see vegans as my enemy.
    Absolutely. Primal and Vegans are far closer to each other than to the SAD.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This is ridiculous. Vegans are mostly liberals, liberals are mostly atheist if not always.
    The Ann Coulter school of reasoning. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    "God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: 'Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you shall rest on every animal of the earth, and on every bird of the air, on everything that creeps on the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; into your hand they are delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and just as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.' "
    I didn't say Christianity (or the Abrahamic religions in general) supported veganism. I suggested that people who are less influenced by reason might be drawn to both religion and veganism. Quoting Genesis doesn't refute that.

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The Ann Coulter school of reasoning. Love it.

I didn't say Christianity (or the Abrahamic religions in general) supported veganism. I suggested that people who are less influenced by reason might be drawn to both religion and veganism. Quoting Genesis doesn't refute that.
    They don't call it religion... It's spirituality, and you wouldn't understand because your meat-fogged brain is not enlightened.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    They don't call it religion... It's spirituality, and you wouldn't understand because your meat-fogged brain is not enlightened.
    Sweet, sweet meat-fog!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast