Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's worse the vegans or us? page 2

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think all humans fear and dislike that which they consider outside their 'tribe'. It's pretty damn natural. Some people are weird in that those who share their allegiance to their diet become the online version of their tribe. That is why fruitarians and primals alike get offended when their diets are attacked. On a level, our diets form a part of our identity. These forums give us a 'tribe' with which we share this identity, solidifying it. A threat to the diet is a threat to the tribe is a threat to our person. We treat it with suspicion or contempt when it dares to stumble into our 'territory', the place we consider our 'refuge' from CW dieting and other 'weird' diets.

Naught wrong with it. Unless you feel awkward about accepting it for what it is, of course.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Liftinglife is offline Senior Member
    I was raised by a vegan pagan mother and I am a primal and very actively practicing catholic. My sister is a Paleo pagan. My father is catholic SAD. I'm not sure that people's religious beliefs have very much to do with food choices. I think it varies person to person.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftinglife View Post
    I was raised by a vegan pagan mother and I am a primal and very actively practicing catholic. My sister is a Paleo pagan. My father is catholic SAD. I'm not sure that people's religious beliefs have very much to do with food choices. I think it varies person to person.
    Well of course it does. I'm not suggesting there's a perfect correlation, just that there might be a correlation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well of course it does. I'm not suggesting there's a a perfect correlation, just that there might be a correlation at all.
    Perhaps. Certain groups of people can easily be correlated to certain traits, maybe even non/religious sectors. I guess certain religious groups may be more likely to eat certain foods but I feel like that is more of a regional thing.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    No, you missed the mark entirely, merl. I think we Primal/Paleos tend to be more inclined to be evidence based decision-makers and the vegans tend to be more faith-based.
    Ok. I think that primals are based on 'digestion based', which is scientific evidence in the way you are saying. But I think that vegans are primarily coming from a moral stance. Which I guess I could see you saying is faith-based, but really, religion is only a subset of the moral sphere.

Do you think Plant Positive (who I think is Don Maetz) is approaching his diet from a faith based or scientific paradigm?

Or, rather, that people who are more scientifically-minded and educated in the hard sciences understand that we're all but obligate omnivores, while the more idealistic folk might tend more toward veganism. I do think we're right, that's why I'm here, not on 30bananasaday.com or wherever those folks go to debate their own minutiae.
    The tricky thing about science is that it's not as 'pure' as it's made out to be. People lock in on theories and invest themselves in them their whole lives. It's only when the (wrong) theories fail to attract new adherents that they wither and die out, but that can take a generation or more.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 10-29-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Liftinglife View Post
    Perhaps. Certain groups of people can easily be correlated to certain traits, maybe even non/religious sectors. I guess certain religious groups may be more likely to eat certain foods but I feel like that is more of a regional thing.
    I'm sure there's a regional correlation as well. I was just implying that people who generally make decisions based on reason might be more inclined to Primal/Paleo than veganism, while people who generally make decisions based on faith and emotion might be more inclined to veganism than P/P. Therefore, a forum filled with vegans might be more predisposed to sympathizing with religious beliefs while a forum filled with us might be more predisposed to sympathizing with atheism. I could very well be wrong, but it would surprise me. I was just pointing out a flaw in Lewis's proposed experiment, not making a value judgment regarding anyone's beliefs (although I'd be happy to do so if anyone insists).

I'm sure there's a regional correlation as well. I was just implying that people who generally make decisions based on reason might be more inclined to Primal/Paleo than veganism, while people who generally make decisions based on faith and emotion might be more inclined to veganism than P/P. Therefore, a forum filled with vegans might be more predisposed to sympathizing with religious beliefs while a forum filled with us might be more predisposed to sympathizing with atheism. I could very well be wrong, but it would surprise me. I was just pointing out a flaw in Lewis's proposed experiment, not making a value judgment regarding anyone's beliefs (although I'd be happy to do so if anyone insists).
    Lol I bet you could but I won't insist.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed a lot of wild insistence and Pub-med backed righteousness on the forums lately.

I think a good diet/lifestyle results in a calm mind, low stress, and enough energy for daily life, plus plenty of play. I always thought the 30bd trollers were like angry malnourished cavepeople, sneaking in and trying to steal a bison leg.

If you're feeling really righteous and pissed off at other people for being so dumb that they won't eat EXACTLY LIKE YOU, it's probably time to take some Omegas, eat a burger and go nap in the sun.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    It's crazy how worked up people get about their views. I find it really hard not to associate my views with my identity. When someone attacks your views they really aren't attacking you but it can't stop you feeling criticised or maybe less enlightened. When I drive on the motorway I believe everyone going slower than me is a moron and everyone going faster is a maniac....can't be true and reminding myself of this frequently can help to moderate my attitude. Vegans are morons and Peaters are maniacs
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Ok. I think that primals are based on 'digestion based', which is scientific evidence in the way you are saying. But I think that vegans are primarily coming from a moral stance. Which I guess I could see you saying is faith-based, but really, religion is only a subset of the moral sphere.

Do you think Plant Positive (who I think is Don Maetz) is approaching his diet from a faith based or scientific paradigm?

The tricky thing about science is that it's not as 'pure' as it's made out to be. People lock in on theories and invest themselves in them their whole lives. It's only when the (wrong) theories fail to attract new adherents that they wither and die out, but that can take a generation or more.
    I feel like you're fervently refuting claims I've never made. I'm just sort of shrugging my shoulders at this.

Do you think they debate the biochem on vegan websites like we do here? I have a hard time imagining vegan versions of Chocotaco and pklopp spewing vitriol at one another over a disagreement on the minute interworkings of various metabolic hormones.

BTW: Loren Cordain wrote the Paleo Diet more than a generation ago. How long has the debate about global warming been around? Some things don't fail to attract new adherents and die out, but that doesn't mean the old beliefs are justifiable. Just that they're strong memes.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast