Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protein page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Protein

Primal Fuel
    I have been trying very hard to consume a lot of protein as recommended for strength training. It's recommended that someone female, short and weak like me get somewhere between 148 and 229 g of protein depending on my goals. Wow, that is a lot. The lower end is for recomposition, the higher end for building muscle.

Making every effort possible, I cannot seem to attain 200g, but I can get around 150 with concerted effort. Yesterday for example I had 1 chicken breast, 7.5oz salmon, 1/2lb ground antelope and 1 scoop of protein powder. That plus the other assorted things I ate amounted to 161g of protein. I have been eating this way now for a few months.

I have to report that I feel great. I mean really fantastic. I feel alert, my energy levels are even and strong, I feel confident and happy, I have this sense inside that I need not cower from expressing my opinions directly to someone's face eye-to-eye (which is odd for me). I went hiking on Sunday and felt strong and fast.

Carb levels are totally inconsequential to me. I had only 60g of carbs on Sunday but I did a strenuous hike and then did my volume lifting day the following morning without feeling any fatigue. After lifting I got about 110g of carbs and feel no different from the day before. I feel I could run 5 miles or run up the nearest parking garage stairs and it wouldn't make any difference whether I had a lot of carbs or very little. That's how even my energy feels. I have metabolic flexibility and can tap into the energy stores I have, all of them.

Anyway, I just wanted to report this because in all the discussions around here, the role of protein gets lost. It appears from my own personal experience that putting all my attention on protein lets the other macros just fall in place and gives me the best health.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    That is a lot. My average shakes out to 100~120g with the occasional social feast (about double that). This isn't deliberate, just the outcome of budget and routine.

I'm not sure how to sort my thoughts about it. Animal protein foods are definitely nourishing but globally few people exceed the 15-20% TDEE level which is where my appetite shuts down as well.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I don't really track anything, but I try to get as much protein in as I can every day. The other macros just seem to work themselves out.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    Wow, you eat a lot of protein compared for me. I have a hard time to reach the 100grams. Let alone the required 120 grams I need for my body...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

I know. It is a lot of protein and it takes conscious effort. But I'm surprised how great I feel since doing it.

By the way, yesterday's breakdown was 47g fat, 111g carb, 161 protein. Or 28% fat, 29% carb, 42% protein. So not low carb/high fat or high carb/low fat. A third option nobody ever actually talks about around here: Adequate carb and fat/high protein.

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I know. It is a lot of protein and it takes conscious effort. But I'm surprised how great I feel since doing it.

By the way, yesterday's breakdown was 47g fat, 111g carb, 161 protein. Or 28% fat, 29% carb, 42% protein. So not low carb/high fat or high carb/low fat. A third option nobody ever actually talks about around here: Adequate carb and fat/high protein.
    I don't make a conscious effort to eat low carb but with eating Primal my carb intake is almost always under the 90grams and my fats around the 110 grams... do you eat carbs consciously or is it just something that happens?
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

I eat carbs semi-consciously. I simply do not worry about them. But I choose from healthy primal stuff so it ends up being pretty low overall. Yesterday's carbs came from a giant kumara sweet potato, some cauliflower, a carrot, some chocolate, and a little brie. I forgot to put a banana in my morning shake. I eat at least one potato every day and often half a banana. I'm sure there are some days my carbs are closer to 200. I just don't usually keep track or worry about it at all ever anymore.

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

That's my sentiment, exactly. Eat enough protein and everything else just seems to fall into place.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

peril is online now Senior Member
    Sb, your target range seems high. How did you calculate it?

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    200g+ protein just seems over the top to me. Especially for a female. Everyone is different though go with how you feel I guess. I am lean 180lb and I typically don't go over 120-140g.
    Last edited by statikcat; 10-29-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast