Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Protein page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    See the table part way down on this page: To Be A Beast | thefitcoach
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure of the source of your protein requirements assumptions. To the best of my knowledge, the recommended intake for athletes is in the range of 1.3 to 1.5g per kg of bodyweight. The RDA is 0.8g per kg and I believe that is supposed to cover the needs of 90+% of the population.

You weigh 61 kg, so the athletic requirement puts you at 80g per day, whereas the RDA would have you ingest 50g.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why do you believe this source to be authoritative?

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

sra1984 is offline Member
    I have a hard time eating all of my protein, but I do my darnedest. I find the same thing- when I eat enough protein, everything falls into place. I rarely get above 120 g. though, and that is pretty high for me (even though I have been told I need to be eating closer to 145 g.)- it is REALLY hard to do. I more frequently eat between 60 and 100 g. a day- I guess that averages to about 80 or 90 g. a day. Meh, I digress. However, I do very much agree- eat the protein and everything else falls into place without really trying.
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Hey if its working for you SB I think thats great. Personally though I have found that I feel best in the range of 80-120 or so. Its not based on much except that I usually eat about 1-1.5lbs of fatty meat a day. That tends to do quite well for me. I'm still getting stronger and staying in the 15% fat range with that and not counting anything... just eating primal and livin life

jodi29 is offline Member
    Hey SB! What are your favorite protein sources? I, like others, struggle to reach 100g so I just need more protein sources.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Protein

I get a ton of protein. I feel like a bro sometimes when key foods has a cut of meat or cottage cheese on sale:

-lamb (I at least try for "all natural")
    -gf beef
    -eggs (cage free)
    -gelatin gelatin gelatin
    -egg whites/whey
    -cottage cheese
    If I really feel all bro-y I take some bcaa's.

I usually get meat from a real butchershop but key food has some good moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-29-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Anyway, I just wanted to report this because in all the discussions around here, the role of protein gets lost. It appears from my own personal experience that putting all my attention on protein lets the other macros just fall in place and gives me the best health.
    + a gazillion. I agree. Unless one is eating things like skinless, boneless chicken breasts or lots of white fish, most protein comes with its own little fat buddies built in. The almost perfect egg has about five grams of fat to six grams of protein. And most cuts of meat (and salmon) have a good amount of fat on them. The protein shake as a supplement is one of the easiest ways to pack in some protein. My protein intake is about 85-130 grams of protein per day. It would be tough to meet without the shakes. I try to have one every night before bed. If I know I'm in the mood for less creature that day, I'll make sure to have two shakes.

Glad to hear you're feeling so energetic! You always inspire me.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I haven't seen any studies in which more than 2g of protein per kg of body weight is beneficial. Assuming you are 60kg, then you'd want 120g MAX.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not sure where I saved this from:

Some examples...

- Intense exercisers wanting to burn fat = 1 gram of protein per pound of
    leanbody weight daily...

- Intense exercisers wanting to gain muscle = 1.5 grams per pound oflean
    body weight (larger, more advanced individuals could even go higher)

- Moderate exercisers looking to maintain or burn fat = .75 grams per
    pound of lean body weight...

- Sedentary person = 0.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight

This is NOT one-size-fits-all or an exact science, but it gives you
    a great guideline to follow without being confused.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast