Thread: Cashew nuts, primal or not? page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

Cashew nuts, primal or not?

Primal Fuel
    I'm confused... I thought nuts (with the exception of peanuts) are primal, yet if I enter Cashew nuts into the Paleo-track it states that it's a legume and that it's not primal...

any thoughts on this.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    I adjusted it in Paleo Track to not signal legume, since AFAIK it is a tree nut.

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Legume or not I love cashews but they trigger weight gain for me so I just stay away from them.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    A cashew is the seed of a drupe, like almonds and pistachios are. Not a legume or a nut.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal yes, paleo no, but they aren't something that Mark encourages you to eat and some people here deride nuts because of their omega 6 content.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Primal yes, paleo no, but they aren't something that Mark encourages you to eat and some people here deride nuts because of their omega 6 content.
    I know and I don't much of them. Most of the time a few through my salad to give me something chrunchy to chew on. Mark advises Macadamia nuts but they are bloody expensive here. I get a mized nuts bag which have macadamia's, pecan, walnuts and cashew nuts in it. They are so much cheaper to get. (I honestly don't know why) and about the only ones that aren't salted.
    My story, My thought....

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    As I understand it, the reason they are not paleo, is because they have to be cooked to be palatable(must be roasted out of their double shell to destroy toxins).

They are interesting, botanically. What we call the 'nut' is actually a seed, which grows outside of the fruit of the cashew tree. The fruit is edible, but very fragile, so rarely seen commercially.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Just because something is a legume doesn't make it unhealthy, and just because something is a nut doesn't make it healthy. Cashew nuts are delicious, have vitamins and minerals, but are also extremely high in calories, very allergenic and very high in anti-nutrients (much higher than grains or most legumes). Some here and there probably won't hurt you unless you're allergic, but regular consumption would likely lead to weight gain and potentially impaired digestion. I would consider most soaked, boiled beans more healthful IMO even those the cashews are Primal and soaked, boiled beans are not.

I actually prefer cashews to macadamias. I love, love, love cashew butter. One 16oz bag of "raw" cashews + my blender = deadly, deadly, delicious cashew butter.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I use Cashew's in my salad if I don't have pecans and macadamias... I love nuts in general and happily I'm not allergic to them either...
    And honestly I don't give much about calories, I have been tracking for a while and on most days I barely reach the 1600kcals that is my target.
    My story, My thought....

AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would stay away from cashews personally because of the urushiols that might be left on the nuts after processing. Also because of the high Omega 6 content. Urushiols are a class of plant chemicals that cause the allergic reactions that most people associate poison ivy with. Limes also have urushiols in their peels, and people who are greatly allergic to poison Ivy would be allergic to cashews and limes sadly.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb