Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a good bacon without sugar? page 2

greatxiang is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    US Wellness Meats has pork and beef bacon. Both are nitrate and sugar free. And they use sea salt.

Liftinglife is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    Trader Joes has uncured bacon with no sugar or nitrate. Why does the sugar matter? You think a few grams of sugar in a serving of bacon is going to hurt you?
    It matters because if someone is avoiding all refined sugar then that would include a few grams. For some people sugar is like crack, you wouldn't say " I'm going to quit smoking crack, well except for the few grams..." To quit refined sugar is hard, and consuming sugar makes it harder.

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftinglife View Post
    It matters because if someone is avoiding all refined sugar then that would include a few grams. For some people sugar is like crack, you wouldn't say " I'm going to quit smoking crack, well except for the few grams..." To quit refined sugar is hard, and consuming sugar makes it harder.
    This is what I say to my wife who thinks I'm a bit too extreme at times.

Her: "Just do everything in moderation".
    Me "Oh yeah? Does that Include heroin?"

It's kinda hard sometimes to get people to even believe that you could even possibly have a food addiction.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    The only reason to avoid sugar at that level of a few grams is because the taste sets off your appetite or further sugar cravings. However a piece of bacon with like 1g of sugar is not going to send any signals because you won't even be able to taste it. Its negligible most likely. Look at the nutrition label.. it probably says 0 carb. Potentially is rounded down but still. You are concerned about an issue that only exists in your head.

I will give you side by side bacon made with 1-2g of sugar and one without. You think you can tell me the difference? Are you going to binge on sugar because a piece of BACON?
    Last edited by statikcat; 10-30-2013 at 06:36 AM.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    The only reason to avoid sugar at that level of a few grams is because the taste sets off your appetite or further sugar cravings. However a piece of bacon with like 1g of sugar is not going to send any signals because you won't even be able to taste it. Its negligible most likely. Look at the nutrition label.. it probably says 0 carb. Potentially is rounded down but still. You are concerned about an issue that only exists in your head.

I will give you side by side bacon made with 1-2g of sugar and one without. You think you can tell me the difference? Are you going to binge on sugar because a piece of BACON?
    When the Nutrition Facts panel says the food contains “0 g” of something, it means the food contains less than 0.5 grams of PER SERVING. It's safer to assume 0 on a label means 5g or less. If you are avoiding sugar, any is unacceptable.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

It's not the taste of/ lack of taste of the sugar. It's the absorption of sugar into the blood stream that creates the craving. If sugar is listed in the ingredients then regardless of the "0g sugar" on the nutrition it still has sugar. That sugar is likely .5g per serving. If 1 strip is .5 grams, and I want 10 strips, then my blood has just obsorbed 5 g of refined sugar. (And I have all this bacon in the fridge that I paid so much for and I'm going to eat it till it's gone.) Now for some people that doesn't mean anything. But for others, that 5 grams, can an will create more cravings for sugar. If you don't believe me, then quit eating all forms of sugar for 3 days, have a teaspoon of sugar and tell me if you don't want sugar again. I don't know how much more I can simplify this.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You can buy pork belly and make your own. All it takes is cosher salt, whatever spices you want and a week or so of fridge time. You also need to keep it in the freezer.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    You can buy pork belly and make your own. All it takes is cosher salt, whatever spices you want and a week or so of fridge time. You also need to keep it in the freezer.
    I wanna try this I love the idea of making my own bacon

MarkChopper is offline Banned
    It's not the taste of/ lack of taste of the sugar. It's the absorption of sugar into the blood stream that creates the craving. If sugar is listed in the ingredients then regardless of the "0g sugar" on the nutrition it still has sugar. That sugar is likely .5g per serving. If 1 strip is .5 grams, and I want 10 strips, then my blood has just obsorbed 5 g of refined sugar. (And I have all this bacon in the fridge that I paid so much for and I'm going to eat it till it's gone.) Now for some people that doesn't mean anything. But for others, that 5 grams, can an will create more cravings for sugar. If you don't believe me, then quit eating all forms of sugar for 3 days, have a teaspoon of sugar and tell me if you don't want sugar again. I don't know how much more I can simplify this.
    Your body requires glucose, there is a reason you crave sugar.

Interesting that you would think 10 strips of bacon is healthy but 5g of sugar is comparable to crack or heroin.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChopper View Post
    Your body requires glucose, there is a reason you crave sugar.

Interesting that you would think 10 strips of bacon is healthy but 5g of sugar is comparable to crack or heroin.
    glucose ≠ sugar used in bacon. You do not need to eat table sugar or corn derived sugar. There are far better ways to get the glucose your body needs. Also gluconeogenesis exists as a mechanism of getting this needed glucose in a non-carbohydrate environment.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast