Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut oil raising cholesterol? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

coconut oil raising cholesterol?

Shop Now
    So, last year I finally persuaded my mother to replace light olive oil with coconut oil for cooking. (She used canola oil for decades before changing to olive oil).

Her latest blood test showed increase in LDL since she made the change, and that scared her so she went back to light olive oil.

The rest of her diet is mostly rice, pork, vegetables, nuts, fruits, and occasional packaged foods like biscuits.

Just curious about the LDL and coconut oil.

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    I don't know about the cholesterol but she does know that the light in light olive oil is the description of the colour and not that it has less calories?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    This is common. I doubt it's detrimental. But I did the same thing. Coconut oil, apparently, sent my LDL almost off the charts. So I went back to tallow. Going to check my numbers again soon to see if it's come down.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    I don't know about the cholesterol but she does know that the light in light olive oil is the description of the colour and not that it has less calories?
    I think she told me the light olive oil refers to olive oil that can be used for cooking, and extra virgin for salads.

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I think she told me the light olive oil refers to olive oil that can be used for cooking, and extra virgin for salads.
    Extra virgin is just the stuff that comes out first with the least amount of work. It still goes off at the same temperature. It's all about colour & flavour. Over in Italy they even taste it like wine & have competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    This is common. I doubt it's detrimental. But I did the same thing. Coconut oil, apparently, sent my LDL almost off the charts. So I went back to tallow. Going to check my numbers again soon to see if it's come down.
    I use coconut oil a lot and my LDL is above 100 and total cholesterol is above 200. But I didn't think it was a concern.

Her doctor is always looking for an excuse to prescribe medication, so when her total cholesterol number goes above 200, she becomes very worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    Extra virgin is just the stuff that comes out first with the least amount of work. It still goes off at the same temperature. It's all about colour & flavour. Over in Italy they even taste it like wine & have competitions.
    That's pretty interesting about the competitions.

She likes the light olive oil more than coconut oil because the flavor is milder, and to her makes chinese food taste better.

My LDL was well over 200 alone. HDL of 90, so not that worrisome, but I have to "look" healthy on paper so my insurance rates don't go up someday.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

aldgatebarb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I am currently listening to Grain Brain by David Perlmutter. He has mentioned on several occasions that lower cholesterol levels are linked to higher risk of dementia and other serious illnesses. It's compelling listening!

He is not alone in his questioning of cholesterol interpretation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, there's low, and then there's LOW.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast