Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips For Surviving At Work During The Holidays page

LemonMarie is offline Junior Member

Tips For Surviving At Work During The Holidays

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

You all have such good ideas. I was wondering if anyone would share how they are able to keep from being tempted at work during the holidays? Here at my job they are planning holiday meals already. There is a sign up sheet for cakes, pies, breads, and all the other usually holiday food. I know I need to dig deep and use my will power, but does anybody do anything during the holidays at work luncheons to help them not be tempted? In the past I've just not gone in to the room where they've had all the food layed out. I know I appear non social, and I've said in the past that I needed to keep my blood sugar in check (which I do). But people come in to my classroom (seriously), with slices of food, and even asking if I've been in to eat. They all know I'm diabetic. Just curious to see what other people do. Have a great evening.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Just. Say. No. If they give you something, toss it in the trash. Or better tell them, you in good conscience, can not eat lavishly while there are starving people in your own community.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I'm fortunate enough to work with a celiac, so there's always fruit as an alternative where I am.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Huh? You're diabetic. This shouldn't even be a real issue. Just say no. You have a legitimate reason that people should recognize.

I just eat the REALLY good stuff that's worth it. All the crappy stuff doesn't even register as food at this point.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Add another line or two to the list
    . Cooked hot chicken
    . Fresh fruit
    . Nut/dried fruit medley
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

sra1984 is offline Member
    Does everybody bring something? If so, just make sure you bring something you can eat and focus on the things that you can eat and not the stuff that you can't. Planning will help you more than anything in these situations- if you know what is going to be there you can plan a way to participate but not get sucked into the stuff you shouldn't have or don't want. If there's not going to be a ton of stuff you can eat, make sure you bring paleo appropriate snacks and such. Also, there is a benefit in that if you plan to eat a certain way, you are more likely to actually eat that way. Also keep in mind, you have a 20% cushion so if you eat something not on plan on a whim, don't worry about it and get back on board with your next meal. Besides, I have a feeling if somebody asks you why you don't want to eat something, that they will be perfectly understanding if you say, "Well, I really can't- I am diabetic."
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1984 View Post
    Besides, I have a feeling if somebody asks you why you don't want to eat something, that they will be perfectly understanding if you say, "Well, I really can't- I am diabetic."
    And if they're not, no need to be nice. "Diabetics who can't stick to their diets end up blind with limbs amputated. Is that what you're wishing for me?" is a perfectly acceptable response to people who won't back off. Seriously!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I feel with you. Normally I'm all over the candy and sweet stuff.
    This year however will be different. I just went through a binging weekend with a lot of friend and I feel so awful that I never ever want to feel like this again... So I'm pretty much sure I can so 'No' for a while...

Other years I'm always the one bringing in the candy but this year it will be different. Online there are so many good recipes for small sugar free low carbs snacks that I'm going to make lots of those so that I have an option to snack on when the bad days are coming.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Giblets is offline Member
    It's okay to lie right to their faces, you know.

It's not a sin, just a little white lie to stay sociable. Repeat after me: "Yes, I had some of that fudge earlier, wow, I wish I could make fudge that good." There. You won't go to hell for it. Nobody's feelings get hurt. They won't have to gossip about what a health-nut you are. Problem solved.

Anyway, that's how I handle it these days. My n=1 is that it works for me.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

My diet? Very low carb to initially lose weight, then moderate carbs (the past 12 years) for effortless weight maintenance. For me, the "carb curve" works like a charm. Once a week or so, I eat only one meal during the day (at late evening), as sort of a mini-fast.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I feel for you. I also work at a school and can relate to the idea of huge social meals often full of sugar, and empty calories and very little nutritional value. Being a diabetic you have a legit reason to stay away from the foods but just not wanting to eat them is also legit in my mind. I think staying out of the room is perfectly fine, or staying away from the food in the room works for me. Also you can eat your preferred food prior to going into the room - less hunger, less tempt. Or like others have said bring what you want to/can eat and focus on eating it - this is what I do in these situations.
    Best of luck.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast