Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips For Surviving At Work During The Holidays page 3

LemonMarie is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Thank you. I won't worry about their hurt feelings. I have to keep in mind that I could be the one taking and paying for more medicine or in the hospital facing amputation. Also I just purchased a paleo dessert cookbook. I plan to use if for holidays and special occassions. I'm feeling better the holiday eating season now.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    When I started a few years back, it was hard to see all the tasty things. Now, I just don't see them as tasty. For potlucks I always bring shrimps and home-made marinara. It normally disappears in a flash.

Also, I have no problems with throwing non-food away. What people do not know don't hurt them.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-30-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    We're having a "treat" day at work tomorrow because it's Halloween. I'm going to bring deviled eggs, made with avocado mayonnaise. They'll all say "Oh look she brought in something healthy" and the eggs will be gone in the first hour!

Avocado dressed eggs and shrimp with marinara sound devine! I may have to bring something similiar. It helps knowing what people bring to potlucks. I'm waiting on my two paleo/primal cookbooks with anticipation! I'm glad they will arrive before the holidays. The ideas about what you all bring to potlucks really help. Thank you.

Heya, basically, I follow two rules: it should be a normal party food and it should be something my family can finish for supper should there be leftovers. I've done:

-meatballs based on my catch-all recipe for meatloaves, balls, meatzzas (with mushed swwet potato or rutabaga and dried powdered mushrooms instead of bread crumbes)
    -a set of home made dips (marinara, baba ganush and spinach mayo) with veggie sticks, dehydrated sweet potato chips (peopel go wild for them) and crackers (I save rice ones, and there never seem to be other king left, but I won't hesitate to toss them)
    -cold cod marinated in carrot-pepper-tomato sauce
    -a platter of olives, coctail mozza balls (or brocolini), smoked oysters and baby tomatoes or sliced cucumbers (that has an advantage of being ready in 3 minutes)

The two rules seem pretty reasonable and actually doable for me. Thanks Leida.

Superbeast is offline Member
    Eat well at home, bring an awesome lunch, and walk on by all the crapcakes...

Oddly enough, my work had a chili cook-off this year for Halloween, so I dropped the candy that was being passed out off and grabbed a bowl of the meatiest chili I could find... Pretty damned good too.
    Eat like a Beast, feel like a Beast!
    Eat from a huge bag of processed junk... Well... You know.

mmmpork is offline Member
    Before taking a telecommuting job, this was also a big issue for me. Someone was always bringing tempting treats, at least once a week. Once a month, we'd have a company-wide birthday celebration that included cake. Generally the way I dealt with it was to tell people I don't eat wheat, so I can't have any. Occaisionally though, especially if you've been on Paleo for a few years, you learn that sometimes just smelling it or having a very small taste is enough to satisfy any temptation. My rule is it had to be something truly special and I would allow myself a bite or VERY small serving. It really depends on your sensitivity level, I don't get flare ups over a small bite of wheat or sugar, but if I have more than that I regret it. Sometimes just knowing that I would let myself have a bite if i really wanted it was enough for me to suddenly not feel the need.

Also think about what the thing is made out of. Contemplating the poor quality of the ingredients used to make it is usually sufficient for me to have NO DESIRE to even taste it (bleached flour, refined bleached sugar, factory farmed eggs, vegetable shortening...).

I actually have more problems with food while I am at home or telecommuting. It is not the quality but the quantity. Quantity was always my main pitfall

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    God, I love being self-employed. Yesterday, however, I did have to resist the siren song of leftover Halloween candy brought into the class I'm taking. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, man--my confectionery drug of choice.

That said, I volunteer for a couple of organizations and get invited to the usual holiday potluck festivities, and the quantity of "treats" left on the breakroom tables reaches epic proportions. Showing up for a shift to find a table full of sweets and other junk isn't so bad; I can walk right past it. Store-bought baked goods already tasted disgusting to me even before I cleaned up my act (I can taste the corn syrup, and the nasty fats they use have a distinctive mouthfeel that makes me want to gag), so I just see a table laden with non-food items and go my merry way.

If I eat wheat, I know I'll feel like warmed-over crap the next day, so it damned well better be worth it. Somebody's homemade specialty, especially if it's someone I know well, very well could be worth it. But the rest of it? No way. And on the extremely rare occasions when someone tries to push something undesirable on me, telling them, "If I eat that, I will be sick and in pain tomorrow. Are you cool with that? 'Cuz I'm not" (accompanied by either jovial laughter or the Basilisk Stare as the situation warrants) gets them to back down every time.

When refusing food after a polite "No, thank you" has failed, I go straight to how sick it will make me, rather than how fattening it is. Nobody gives a shit about whether you succeed at losing weight (and many would be happy to see you fail, just as they have). But making someone ill is a different story.

My own contributions are usually a veg platter (light on the carrots and celery, heavy on the peppers, cukes, and asparagus) with homemade blue cheese dressing; cold shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce; devilled eggs; a fruit platter; or a cheese board (with decent cheeses). I'm an indifferent cook, but I have nice serving platters, and all of these go together easily and let me show off my wares. And I never take leftovers home because everything's gone at the end of the evening.

And I usually eat before I go to holiday get-togethers. Loaded up on good protein and fat, my interest in dubious or borderline-acceptable food is pretty much nonexistent. I'll also carry a constantly half-full plate around as I mingle, because an empty plate or no plate at all brings out all the nosy people who wonder why I'm not eating, or haven't gone back for more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast