Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips For Surviving At Work During The Holidays page 2

LemonMarie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I appreciate the ideas friends. I hate lying and saying I've tried something when I haven't. I may have to though. The stupid peer pressure gets pretty intense working with teachers. And I agree, I may just have to be blunt and say, "I don't want to be blind and have amputations, I can't eat that stuff." I think I'll find a few primal treats to bring and make myself. I've never done that. I've always just tried to stay away from the "goodie room." Last year my principal left the library, and walked down the sidewalk to my room with a piece of pie for my classroom assistant and I. Another time she offerred to watch my class, so that I could go to the teacher's lounge and get some treats, even after I told her that I didn't want to go in there and be tempted. Honestly. I think sometimes people want you to share in their weight gain, or want to indulge with others. My assistant put hand santizer (she uses food distruction as her strategy) on her piece of pie and threw it in the trash. LOL I may try that if it happens again! Thank you. I will try to combine these suggestions, and maybe I will do fine this holiday season. Have a blessed day.

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    A guy next to me at work had this box of waxy/plastic mini-donuts on his desk all day and I was able to resist even when he offered me some.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Bring something meat-based and eat that plus pick around the other stuff. Reminds me of that one time I went to a vegan thanksgiving... And realized the only tasty thing was actually a solid piece of gluten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    That's sad that vegans couldn't have at least roasted some veggies. Jeez.

I think a good strategy is to make sure you are armed with Primal foods at your desk. Then contribute something to the treats- maybe some chocolate covered berries or nuts? There are some primal nut cluster recipes etc. And yeah, you need to be social, and go to the "treat room" and grab your own treats. If someone brings you crap, "I'm pretty full and will enjoy this later". Dump it in the trash.

And by all means, if there is something that looks amazing, let yourself enjoy a treat. A slice of cheesecake isn't a lot of damage in the scheme of things. The damage comes when you have two weeks of randomly eating whatever crap people drag in. Store bought stuff? Oh hell no. Box mixed brownies and cakes? No. Cookies that you never really enjoyed anyway? No. That really awesome home made nut roll made by the Croatian lady? Yes. IME, work treats? 95% store bought or from a mix. Maybe 5% are actually a huge treat.

Use judgment, keep the rest of your eating clean, enjoy a genuinely worth it treat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Haha yeah... It was all faux meat and faux cheese. So gross. Even the carrots were paired with some fake ranch dressing.

I bailed that party early, shaken by the fact that I had just eaten a shit ton of gluten concentrate...

I honestly thought they would have healthy food there. My friend helped planned it and he is usually big on spouted grains, veggies and fruit.

------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Haha yeah... It was all faux meat and faux cheese. So gross. Even the carrots were paired with some fake ranch dressing.

I bailed that party early, shaken by the fact that I had just eaten a shit ton of gluten concentrate...

I honestly thought they would have healthy food there. My friend helped planned it and he is usually big on spouted grains, veggies and fruit.

That's a shame and a sign of bad cooks. I made vegetarian thanksgiving one year- buckwheat crepes with butternut squash and roasted mushroom filling. I've also made vegan recipes like squash stuffed with wild rice and veggies.

Faux cheese is like the nastiest thing known to man. Most faux meats are really awful too.

It was at my law school, put on by the health law & animal rights law people.

Health law, guys.

------

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    It was at my law school, put on by the health law & animal rights law people.

Health law, guys.

Dear god, if you want to get people to stop eating animals, do not serve them fake cheese and fake meat. It's like trying to get people to eat Primal by handing out "failnut sandwiches" on coconut flour bread with coconut oil standing in for peanut butter. No one wants to eat that shit.

I love my vegan friends but I hate their choice of food. Oh well. I agree with them on the moral stance I just can't stop eating animals... Sorry fuzzy cute things...

------

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Whenever we have a work+food event, I volunteer to bring something primal that (most) everyone will enjoy. I also will bring a back up meat course for myself, just in case the "home made" main course is frozen meatballs with jar sauce. And someone always brings a veggie tray, so I'm covered.

My co-workers are all aware of my nutrition "limitations" even though I don't have diabetes or any condition or allergy. They have never "forced" me to eat something that's not part of my plan. They even make a point of being sure that there's something I can eat.

If someone's feelings are hurt because you won't/can't eat what they made, then that's their choice--to have hurt feelings. Whenever anyone expresses surprise that I won't eat a cupcake (or whatever), I just tell them "that's more for the rest of you!"

I understand that temptations always exist, though. I keep a bar of dark chocolate in my desk, and if the smell of those donuts is driving me crazy, I'll slowly suck on a small square of chocolate. Having a plan on how to deal with the work food helps!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast