Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Big Muscles passť ? page

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member

Question Are Big Muscles passť ?

Shop Now
    As I showered today the soreness in my arms from yesterdays workout took me back to when I was a kid.
    I remembered how good it made me feel to flex my biceps knowing that they were bigger than most of the other kids in my school, I remembered how suddenly I became noticed by girls who would never have given me a second glance before.
    My bedroom was covered in posters of Schwarzenegger and some of the bodybuilding stars back in the 80's.......and a few of women as well, I was a teenager after all !

The big screen movies were all about muscles and action with names like Schwazenegger, Stallone, Van Damme and Dolph Lungren topping the bill.

Me and my buddies would look at pictures of Conan and Rambo before working out as if our lives depended on it. After the workouts we'd guzzle down a couple of pints of full fat milk each and work our way through a bunch of bananas while we discussed what were training the following day.

Now days kids have posters of Justin Beiber and scrawny actors from feel good movies.

Even the recent thread on this forum about what physique women like became full of swimmers and gymnast types.

I can remember as a kid watching the Worlds strongest man on TV, it was always on over the Christmas holiday season with the finale being on new years day....that was one of the years highlights for me and my buddies.
    We had the World games which had Bodybuilding as one of it's main events.
    We had the wrestling which everyone watched back then, who didn't know who Hulk Hogan was !!!
    We had the Superstars TV series pitting top athletes from the relative sports against each other.
    We had The Gladiators, huge beasts knocking hell out of entrants half their size.

The other year when my kid was still in school I asked him how many kids worked out to get bigger, he said none.....WTH !!!

So are big muscles passť.............is this now the time when skinny nerds with black rimmed glasses and slicked back hair take center stage ?

Last edited by OldSchhool; 10-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    1-using the word passť is passť. lol...

2-i think that young girls always have some sort of preoccupation with boys who are built like them. hence the success of boy bands, bieber, etc. it seems unnatural to anyone with any measureable amount of testosterone in their veins, but it is the case. I don't think any sort of actual human being would actually prefer a "man" who looks like bieber or prefer to look like bieber. that's just my take
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    It seems more like "skinny wussy" is the new cool thing to be lately. This pisses me off, generally speaking, since men should freaking be men, but I don't mind being stronger than like 90% of dudes I meet.

I really do work out less for size and more for strength and health than I did, say, 10 years ago. I don't have any real need or desire to be huge, just in good shape and to where girls tell me how much they like seeing me shirtless.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quiet, all of you!

Being scrawny is the way to go. If everyone starts strength training, we won't be stronger than the vast majority. Keep it quiet and promote weakness.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post

2-i think that young girls always have some sort of preoccupation with boys who are built like them. hence the success of boy bands, bieber, etc. it seems unnatural to anyone with any measureable amount of testosterone in their veins, but it is the case. I don't think any sort of actual human being would actually prefer a "man" who looks like bieber or prefer to look like bieber. that's just my take
    Regarding 'passť '......I'll take that totally, just showing my age, LOL !

Regarding the girls always preferring the skinny physique, that was definitely not the case at the school I went to. The big buff tough guys always got the best girls. Many of the girls even asked me for pics of certain bodybuilders to cover their school books with. This guy' Bob Paris ' was one of the most requested......he actually turned out to be gay but none of us knew that back then.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post

Exactly, look at classic strong-men... they were side-show freaks and had wives usually from side shows. The typical guy either carried some fat that hid muscle or was wiry. Move past the Victorian and into the 50's and 60's, a lot of the guys had about as much muscle as current amateur female crossfit fans, look at the stars of the era... the feminine Beatles, Andy Griffith, Bogart, Gary Cooper, young Brando, Borgnine... not exactly muscle bound machines. Even the previously mentioned muscle-men of the 80's and early 90's were rare. Arnold and Stallone vs Bruce Willis/Tommy Lee Jones/Jackie Chan/Mel Gibson/Wesley Snipes.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I think comparing skinny pop stars of today with bodybuilding movie stars of 30 years ago Is muddying the waters a little as the kids (especially the girls) will flick to whatever is pushed into the limelight by the music industry. You can go back 50 years and you'll be hard pushed to find a teenage heartthrob pop star that looked anything like a bodybuilder, so I don't see much of a change there.

I know when I was in high school (some 25 years ago) the girls certainly weren't doing over bodybuilders but skinny pop stars and boy bands, while the boys idolised the movie stars work muscles, athletes or sports stars. Little seems to have changed there too.

Tinsel town is tinsel town though. In the 40s to early 60s you had guys like Dirk Bogarde, James Stewart, Jimmy Cagney and John Wayne as the leading men, who were real men's men.

Then came along Arnie, Stallone, Lundgren and the muscles from Brussels. But they were only really ever in the genre of action movies, so maybe aren't even comparable with the aforementioned leading men.

The male leads of today are generally smaller, though I think more of a mix of the 2.
    From Ryan Reynolds, Matt Damon to Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman and of course Dwayne Johnson who is not only representing the big boys of action but doing a pretty good job of crossing genres.

I'm sure we'll see other big guys coming through again, everything is cyclical.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    I know a lot of guys that workout for bulk. Personally, I never really enjoyed lifting weights. Ive always been about bodyweight training, and it goes along well with my philosophies on functional movements and primal lifestyle. Im pretty strong for weight, and im cut as hell. Im not a big guy, but i hold my own and can perform movements most typical weightlifters struggle to comprehend.

I do however hate the skinny boy look. JBeibs and the like are so soft, and idk how girls are attracted to these weaklings. Pullup or shut up.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Along similar lines of my previous comment...

Here is my Grandfather (right) and Great Uncle (left) in the late 30's/early 40's on the farm. My Grandpa paid his way through college leading up the war by delivering 50 and 100lb blocks of ice off the back of a truck to the iceboxes on farms when not working on the farm. He was consider in FANTASTIC shape.

-Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    I think wide awareness of steroids has reduced the 'value' of big muscles.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast